Guide: Ultima Online:T2A House Security 101

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Guide: Ultima Online:T2A House Security 101

Post by Hicha »

Why not just use detect hidden before unlocking/relocking the table?

Detect hidden is 100% in your house....
There are always a few people who think there is a small chance detect hidden won't reveal someone stealthed in their home, which is absolutely false.

Making sure you lock the door behind you, then a quick detect hidden is a fool-proof way to avoid someone sneaking in; the table barrier is just added security if you decide to carry your key with you during PVM/PVP.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Mr BoJangles

Post by Mr BoJangles »

Few quick questions:

First:

Safir wrote: The Trash Barrel is now officially history. Patch 105 has changed it forever. I suggest making a "release-move-lockdown" macro instead for your new "no-trash barrel security barrier".
Why is the trash barrel history? I know this patch was almost a year ago, i went and read the notes and didn't see too much effecting its usability in this sense. I'm also aware that you can still place and remove (with an axe) a trash barrel Maybe this statement is outdated? Can someone clarify?

Second

Might be a ridiculous question, but are house locks pick-able? If not, are interior doors also immune to being LP'd?

Lastly

Not a question, but...
Guryon wrote:I was thinking of another method of home security and wonder if there are any flaws.

Basically completely wall off a 'strong room' where you have all your loot chests. This area is totally blocked off and whatever is blocking it off is locked down, never to be unlocked.

On one side of the tables is an alt (who really needs 15 characters?) who is there to act solely as a banker. He receives all new loot and stashes it, and retrieves anything your other characters need and trades them over the barrier.

That way you never have to breach your barrier and nothing can ever sneak through.

Of course this is all theory. I've not actually tried it myself. Does it sound plausible?
i think this is a damn good idea and i'm looking into constructing it myself. Really the only way you can guarantee 100% security as far as i see. Yeah the other methods are pretty fail-safe but people (even I) make mistakes.

lotus39

Post by lotus39 »

Mr BoJangles wrote:Few quick questions:

First:

Safir wrote: The Trash Barrel is now officially history. Patch 105 has changed it forever. I suggest making a "release-move-lockdown" macro instead for your new "no-trash barrel security barrier".
Why is the trash barrel history? I know this patch was almost a year ago, i went and read the notes and didn't see too much effecting its usability in this sense. I'm also aware that you can still place and remove (with an axe) a trash barrel Maybe this statement is outdated? Can someone clarify?

Second

Might be a ridiculous question, but are house locks pick-able? If not, are interior doors also immune to being LP'd?

Lastly

Not a question, but...
Guryon wrote:I was thinking of another method of home security and wonder if there are any flaws.

Basically completely wall off a 'strong room' where you have all your loot chests. This area is totally blocked off and whatever is blocking it off is locked down, never to be unlocked.

On one side of the tables is an alt (who really needs 15 characters?) who is there to act solely as a banker. He receives all new loot and stashes it, and retrieves anything your other characters need and trades them over the barrier.

That way you never have to breach your barrier and nothing can ever sneak through.

Of course this is all theory. I've not actually tried it myself. Does it sound plausible?
i think this is a damn good idea and i'm looking into constructing it myself. Really the only way you can guarantee 100% security as far as i see. Yeah the other methods are pretty fail-safe but people (even I) make mistakes.

this is what I do in my 2 story

I have a barrier as well just inside the door its call my delousing station

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

that patch is just saying that you can't have two trash barrels

of course the trash barrel works by axing the barrel and placing a new one, so you only need one barrel at any time, anyhows
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Safir
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Safir »

Mr BoJangles wrote:Few quick questions:

First:

Before that patch you could place a trash barrel if you already had one, so you could effectively move it with just uttering a few words. After that patch one needs to go to the length of destroying the trash barrel with an axe before a new one can be placed which made the trash barrel process very tedious. Today the best way in my opinion is to release and then lock an impassable item down. Of course, one should always use detect hidden before opening up your barrier.
Mr BoJangles wrote:Second

House doors, whether the front door or interior doors can't be picked.

Nystal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nystal »

Possibly another silly question.
Can I use a small forge in place of one of the tables for the barrier? or is there a way around this for intruders?
Europa: 1998 - 2002 (NEW, ^I^, Grd)
UOSA: 2009 - Present (OLD (Retired), ^I^ (GM))

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Nystal wrote:Possibly another silly question.
Can I use a small forge in place of one of the tables for the barrier? or is there a way around this for intruders?
You can use any solid object that is impassable to replace tables in a barrier. Small or large forges, anvils, even ovens all work well.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Someone mentioned doing a vault. My method of home security is quite similar, tedious, but safe from everyone except friends of the house (and if a friend loots you, I'd reevaluate your friendships).

I have a table barrier that is NEVER broken, and what I do is use an impassable object to send me up to the second lvl and past the barrier.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

elhorno
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by elhorno »

Pirul wrote:Someone mentioned doing a vault. My method of home security is quite similar, tedious, but safe from everyone except friends of the house (and if a friend loots you, I'd reevaluate your friendships).

I have a table barrier that is NEVER broken, and what I do is use an impassable object to send me up to the second lvl and past the barrier.
Good idea Pirul. Just thought I'd add this since I was playing around with it last night, you can bump up multiple levels at a time if you wanted by just putting an impassable object on the level above you too, so you could make it from the ground level to roof this way.

That in mind, make an extra floor above your tower and then remove the staircase leading to it. Then place an imapssable object at every level going down and so on. I just think that would be cool cause you could get off your "secure loot floor" by falling.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Pirul wrote:Someone mentioned doing a vault. My method of home security is quite similar, tedious, but safe from everyone except friends of the house (and if a friend loots you, I'd reevaluate your friendships).

Keep in mind this works for any friended people you have to your home, and greed is a mofo when it comes to UO, no matter how much you think you trust someone.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Pirul wrote:... safe from everyone except friends of the house (and if a friend loots you, I'd reevaluate your friendships).

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

Yeah I stole Hicha's favorite pair of short pants and he is pretty much my UO bestie. I regret nothing.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

Im interested in doing some macroing in a large smithy,

Is there a thread that shows which tiles within the house are safe from Earthquakes, Meteor Swarm, or whatever other methods can be used to kill a player through the walls?
Catskills 97-99

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

No tile in a smithy (patio) is safe from EQ. EQ however, cannot kill you. MS and Chain Lightning can only hit you if you are within the two tiles closest to the outer walls...and of course, never macro on the patio itself, as you can be targetted from outside (for a house with a patio, outter walls include the walls around the patio).

If you are macroing a skill that implies taking damage (like magery for example), always include an "if" statement to prevent death.

My magery macro starts with:

If Mana > XX
Cast [insert relevant spell here]
Wait for target
If HP's > XX
Target self

It's not infallible, but griefers only have a fraction of a second to kill you with an EQ, otherwise you just won't cast on yourself.

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

Thanks Pirul,

Good to know i need to avoid the walls by the Patio,

I won't be doing any resist training here, but I do enjoy good safe resist training macros.
Catskills 97-99