Patch 133 - Aug 2, 2010 - Combat , Spellcasting, Creature AI

Information on the latest Server Patches
Faust

Re: Patch 133 - Aug 2, 2010 - Combat , Spellcasting, Creatur

Post by Faust »

lotus39 wrote: I just know that having to sit still while the arrow actually hits is rough.
I'm assuming you don't quite understand the new swing timer change. The animation/damage delay is part of the actual delay of the bow now. Before this patch you would be waiting the same amount of time until the shot fired. However, now the shot is fired 1 second before the end of the actual ranged weapon delay instead of firing at the end and than the additional one second damage delay. In other words you are still waiting the same amount of time that you did before this patch but the damage comes one second faster. Also, if you move during the shot it's not like it's lost since it will just shoot again immediately when you stop.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Bigoud wrote:i think that when they introduce perma red and all this stuff, all the murder counts were cleaned
many peeps became blue again, after a long period of red time
should be the same here
This was done on UOSA when we introduced long terms counts. Because OSI introduced Long term counts along with perma-red it would make more sence that they may have done this at that time.

I don't see how this supplies any justification for murder reprieves. Everyone is starting out with zero "ping-pongs" This doesn't effect anyone who is currently red or blue, but only effects future activity.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

There is no reason to reprieve short or long term counts due to perma red/ping pong being introduced. The only time the counter gets increased is when you actually turn red, not blue. IE: long term counts go from 4 to 5 making your character go from blue to red. This counter only determines if you will always be red once it hits 5 ping pongs.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Bigoud wrote:i think that when they introduce perma red and all this stuff, all the murder counts were cleaned

should be the same here
Derrick wrote:Everyone is starting out with zero "ping-pongs"
There's your reset. If you ping-ponged before, your counter starts at 0.

DarkWing
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DarkWing »

should be the same here
My Pirate .... Errr Fisherman would love to be blue again ... I swear those 55 kills was an accident ... my fingers slipped on my bow.

I do remember that Day ... all the PK's went on a killing Rampage .. just go become read again and to be the guy with the most kills Again!

Trusted Member of C^V Guild
Channel Operator of #secondagetrade

Scammer Free Trade Room

Herod

Post by Herod »

Faust wrote:
lotus39 wrote: I just know that having to sit still while the arrow actually hits is rough.
I'm assuming you don't quite understand the new swing timer change. The animation/damage delay is part of the actual delay of the bow now. Before this patch you would be waiting the same amount of time until the shot fired. However, now the shot is fired 1 second before the end of the actual ranged weapon delay instead of firing at the end and than the additional one second damage delay. In other words you are still waiting the same amount of time that you did before this patch but the damage comes one second faster. Also, if you move during the shot it's not like it's lost since it will just shoot again immediately when you stop.
In my limited experience playing with this on live, it doesn't seem to be behaving this way. After running around, there seems to be a long delay after stopping (before the xbows shoot at least.)

I have also noticed that if you have the bow equipped, and you are attacked, you don't shoot immediately (which I believe you should?)

I'll keep playing around with it, but my feedback so far is "good god this archery is terrible".

H

Faust

Post by Faust »

Moving around with a ranged weapon equipped keeps you in state one and an equivalent counter when your swing/shot is ready to fire. State one is the state that handles the 'plant and shoot' feature. This state is one second long and once you enter state two the bow fires. State two is also one second long and this particular state is what handles the animation/sound of the weapon. Once you leave state two you enter state 3 and this state handles the damage. Theoretically, it's 1.25s until damage takes place since the timer has to tick one more time again(this is how all original UO timers functioned) to enter state three after leaving two. However, the value of the variables are still one second long just as they were in the original code.

Derrick confirmed the values were consistant with the original timer and correct the last time it was mentioned.

lotus39

Post by lotus39 »

Faust wrote:

I understand what you are saying from an application programming POV.

All I can communicate is what happens in field testing

In field testing

I arm bow click on taregt in war mode.

Its 2 seconds before the arrow fires and another two seconds for the damage to hit the target.

thats 4 full seconds, another 6 seconds at 25 dex for second shot to fire add another 2 seconds again for damage to actually hit.

It may be era accruate but its worse than before and does in fact make archery less useable in field pvp.

In contrast I was able to watch 2 people dueling last night hitting Double hally hits with consistancy.

Gray Wolf

Post by Gray Wolf »

Matt wrote:Mount refresh: Never had to refresh mounts this often
Agreed.. my mount fatigues VERY often.
Sure am glad no-one called the guards!

:::: whack :::::

Downs

Post by Downs »

fooka03 wrote:

should be the same here
Rofl, bye-bye chum's ridiculous kill count.

until next april 1st.
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Faust

Post by Faust »

lotus39 wrote:Its 2 seconds before the arrow fires and another two seconds for the damage to hit the target.
State one and two both are 4 ticks(1.0s) each, not 8 ticks(2.0s). This was confirmed by Derrick already in a different thread.

I will show some scenarios with both the old and new swing timer...

Old
Bow: 5.0s duration
Plant & Shoot: Starts at 5.0s and ends at 6.0s in that delay.
Animation: Starts at 7.0s and ends at 8.0s in that delay - Bow Fires
Damage: Starts 8.0s in that delay - Hit/Miss, damage takes place during a hit.

New
Bow: 5.0s duration
State 1: Starts at 3.0s and ends at 4.0s in that delay - Plant & Shoot
State 2: Starts at 4.0s and ends at 5.0s in that delay - Bow Fires
State 3: Starts at 5.0s in that delay - Hit/Miss, damage takes place during a hit.

Note: The damage technically isn't applied until 5.25s since UO timers are calculated in ticks and the damage pretty much is pending until the tick finalizes.

The bonuses with the new swing timer for archery should be very clear. The only different between the swing timers is that the new timer doesn't 'hold a swing/shot in a held state' where we used to use the old UOR version that did hold it.

Joueur Moyen

Post by Joueur Moyen »

Faust wrote: Note: The damage technically isn't applied until 5.25s since UO timers are calculated in ticks and the damage pretty much is pending until the tick finalizes.
I just tried it on test with a 100 dex/100 archery/100 tactics/100 anat char and it works great, except for that note above. That feels weird to me.

The arrow gets to the target, there is a brief pause, and then the arrow hits or misses. My recollection is that the damage delay was very small, but on Test I was experiencing what felt like half a second. (I'll do a real test tomorrow when I get more time and try to time it over multiple battles.)

But that extra tick feels wrong, IMO. Other than that, the bow was firing just fine.

Faust

Post by Faust »

That is how it works with the original swing timer.

All OSI timers run on variables of 0.25s(ticks).

SirLanceAlittle
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by SirLanceAlittle »

I wrote: :?
SirLanceAlittle wrote:My account (MyAcct) has three characters (Char1 and Char2) and an account of a friend (FriendsAcct) also has two characters (Friend1 and Friend2). My Char2 owns a house and Friend1 and Friend2 each own a house. Can my Char1, which owns no house, be a Co-Owner to the two houses owned by Friend1 and Friend2? I know that my Char1 will have Co-Owner rights automatically of my Char2's home as it is on the same account.
Our man Derrick replied: :)
Derrick wrote:Yes. Co-owner rights are per character pased on the houses that character alone owns. Char1 will be a co-owner of Char2's house automatically as he owns no house and is on the same account.
Then Joueur countered (giving me the heeby-jeebies): :shock:
Joueur Moyen wrote:I think in SirLanceAlittle's example that Char1 can be a co-owner to only one of the friends' houses, but not both.
Okay, so can a Non-Owner Character (ie. my Char1 from y example) be a Co-owner of more than one property outside his/her account? I'm a bit befuzzled now. :?

Thanks for being patient with all my inquiries.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

You should not be able to be a co-owner of more than one house.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."