New client installer.

News and Announcements
Valentine

Re: New client installer.

Post by Valentine »

Thats not what I'm asking. I'm asking why you made them mp3's and messed with the music itself.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

I'm asking why you made them mp3's and messed with the music itself.
You're kidding right? Try playing with the original client with music on in Windows 7. The client & MIDI never caused problems on XP and Vista, on Win7 it does. Dagon did a good job replacing the MID files by MP3 files for you to enjoy the music on every system.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

why = no crashes, just like the posts specify. i'm sort of in a daze as to why you are even questioning it, so i guess if you don't like it then feel free to not use it *shrugs*

Valentine

Post by Valentine »

Ok cool! Chill out brothers. Just wondering :)

Faust

Post by Faust »

Would be nice to have the option to install the demo with the correct configurations just like the original t2a cd had on it.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Batlin had suggested that also, but one big/main problem in being able to do that is that uo.cfg needs to have an accurate path for... one of the items.. CdromDatapath perhaps (I forget exactly at this point).

in one iteration of the client installer I had included a batch file to automatically write this accurate path to uo.cfg upon installation but that lead to the debacle of game settings not being saved due to an invalid character in uo.cfg caused by the batch file (which I believe was only on vista/7 systems, possibly only x64 systems). .so that method is no good to use.

some other method of writing the accurate path to uo.cfg would be needed in order to include the demo in the client installer, OR not giving the user option to change the installation directory so that the default supplied uo.cfg would have the path, but that would not be 100% fool proof for example if C:\Program Files does not exist because the system drive is actually D:\ just because someone wanted to be different

it would be easy enough to include a program file that is installed along with the client to automatically run afterwards to write out the correct path, and would not cause any problems like my first batch file, but it's not an ideal solution. also i think i've seen some file (ini) writing addon plugins for nsis installer so that's a possible option, but not as easy as the first.

all in all i think ultimately it would be easier to have a separate demo installation that takes care of everything, but if there was enough demand for it i could certainly do it, but thus far only you and Batlin have made the suggestion to have it included.. and I'd need Batlin's (or someone's) guidance on exactly what files should be included and how it should be configured, etc.

Soleil

Post by Soleil »

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. :)

Is it possible to access UOSA with the latest Osi UO clients? I started to play here on UOSA a few weeks ago and I really like it. But I also wanted to check out the latest Osi UO stuff. I'm really bad with all the technical stuff. I hope someone can help me.

thx in advance :-)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Soleil wrote:Hello all, I'm new to the forum. :)

Is it possible to access UOSA with the latest Osi UO clients? I started to play here on UOSA a few weeks ago and I really like it. But I also wanted to check out the latest Osi UO stuff. I'm really bad with all the technical stuff. I hope someone can help me.

thx in advance :-)
Yes the latest OSI client should work with UOSA; however there are some map differences that may cause you to become stuck in some places on UOSA, notably The Hedge Maze, Hythloth entrance, Wind, and Tera Keep.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Soleil

Post by Soleil »

I just tried to play the game with that so called Classic Client you can download on uo.com. Atm not much is working, the chars can't move more than 2 steps and I can't open the paperdoll or backpack.

Any idea how to fix this?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Soleil wrote:I just tried to play the game with that so called Classic Client you can download on uo.com. Atm not much is working, the chars can't move more than 2 steps and I can't open the paperdoll or backpack.

Really sorry to hear this. I will look into this.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

It kind of sounds like you are desyncing right off the bat. I've tested the latest classic clients from EA/OSI and had no similar problem.

Set a hotkey for Razor's re-sync option and press that a few times and see if it helps. When you're de-synced you can't do anything.

Soleil

Post by Soleil »

I tried what Dagon suggested and it worked once. But all I could do was walk a few steps more.

Today I tried to log in again with Razor and I got some update there. After I was in game it was the same like before. But there was also another character selection screen covering the game screen. And there was only one char on that list and it wasn't one of my chars, it didn't even have a real name.

Populus

Post by Populus »

Soleil wrote:I just tried to play the game with that so called Classic Client you can download on uo.com. Atm not much is working, the chars can't move more than 2 steps and I can't open the paperdoll or backpack.

Sounds era-accurate.

Soleil

Post by Soleil »

Got some additional Info

I tried again and it worked once. Most of the time the game crashes right when I log in on a char. This only happens when I try to start the game with Razor. Without Razor I have no problem at all.

Joshua Rage

Post by Joshua Rage »

HardCore wrote:Just used the new link and it worked perfectly. Took less than 20 minutes total. Can't get much simpler for people to install and start playing UO Second Age!
HELP PLEASE! Cant connect to server! Using Windows Vista 64 bit, Dell Dimension 3000 any notes would be greatly appreciated!

I have downloaded

Customized 5.0.8.3 (Patch 204)
Razer
UOAM
Ventrillo
etc

Seems to all work well except I get to the login screen type in username/pswd
and bam ... cant connect. If I stare at the screen any longer my eyes are gonna melt outta my face!!!

PLZ HELP THANK YOU!