Climbing

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Climbing

Post by Mikel123 »

I don't know of a better way to get onto the roof - I'd advise Blackfoot's method.

But I will say, getting onto each castle spire is far, far easier than I thought it was.

First, make macros for dropping footstools and tables to each of the four directions. Your macro should look like:

Lift Table (lift by type)
Drop (Relative) @(-1,0,0)

Something like that.

Get onto your roof as Blackfoot advises. Then build a stairway from the roof up to the crennels. If you're going to go over the low part of the crennel, I'd make the stairway 1-3-5. I.E. 1 stool, 3 stools, 5 stools (if you go on the high part, I go 2-4-6-8). Then on the 5th stool (or 8th), use your stool-dropping macro to drop the stool in the appropriate direction, so it goes on top of the crennelated wall. Lock it down, and now you can walk on it.

From here, I use my table-dropping macro to drop tables onto the ground in front of me. If you went onto a low crennel, drop 4 tables then a footstool. If you went onto a high crennel, drop 5 tables then a footstool. Continue doing this wherever you like, to get to a corner tower. Go right up to it via your aerial footstools, and when you finally get up to it, use the stool dropping macro to drop a stool on the crennel. If you started on a low crennel and are finishing on a low crennel (or high and high), you can walk right onto this new footstool once you lock it down, and right into the tower.

In short... with the directional stool-dropping macros, it's very intuitive as to what you can do. I got to all four towers with just my original stairway to the center roof. The rest of the connections were done without ever touching the ground again.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Holy crap this is fun.

So, it looks like the height of a "floor" is 17 or 18 layers. What this means is, if you set up a bridge at level X, you can have a second bridge at level X+18 without the higher stools impeding movement of the lower stools.

And second... you can build a fully functional two-way bridge from a tower to the roof of a castle :-) In this picture, I am standing on the lower staircase, which connects the two towers. The upper staircase arches over (maintaining 18+ unit difference to ensure I can pass under without being stopped by hitting my head on a stool above) and connects the castle main roof to the tower roof.

Sprock

Post by Sprock »

I am having trouble getting up on my keep... Anyone have tips for keeps? - willing to pay for a helper in game as well

Brules

Post by Brules »

Would like to bump this for the new LoS patch rules etc. Doing this has become more difficult (1st 3 stools, if you lock them down, the htings below it are not retrievable).

Also, is it possible to get to the keep roof from the north walk-way?

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

yea you gotta use razor macros
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

SJane3384
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SJane3384 »

First, I wanna say using Razor macros is very, very easy, and makes the stair process really easy as well. Just do a "drag/drop" macro and convert it to "relative location", making sure you're standing the distance you want to be when you drop it. You can record the "drag/drop" beforehand, and then move to the distance you want to be standing before doing the "relative location" part, making it easier if you're doing so in limited space.

Also, I've started a thread on era-accuracy of stairs and "snap-back" for deco (HERE). If you have any more info/links than whats up there, please post it.
Mikel123 wrote:Holy crap this is fun.

So, it looks like the height of a "floor" is 17 or 18 layers. What this means is, if you set up a bridge at level X, you can have a second bridge at level X+18 without the higher stools impeding movement of the lower stools.

And second... you can build a fully functional two-way bridge from a tower to the roof of a castle :-) In this picture, I am standing on the lower staircase, which connects the two towers. The upper staircase arches over (maintaining 18+ unit difference to ensure I can pass under without being stopped by hitting my head on a stool above) and connects the castle main roof to the tower roof.
1) OMFG, that is an amazingly cool bridge. And uhh...placement kudos :)

2) The "layer" thing, means that you can build towers on top of towers (ie 2+ story huts), and stairs all the way to the top. BUT! ZOMG THIS IS MY EFFING TRICK DON'T COPY ME ZOMG.

3)There is a "ceiling" ingame, and it differs depending on the elevation of your house to begin with. You can test it by building a continuous staircase, and once you're too high you hit a black screen, where you can't even see your char. I'm not sure if you lose that top stool or not. You maybe could try paging a GM and see if they can check it for you, but they might tell you to eff off and do it yourself :)
Brules wrote:Would like to bump this for the new LoS patch rules etc. Doing this has become more difficult (1st 3 stools, if you lock them down, the htings below it are not retrievable).

Also, is it possible to get to the keep roof from the north walk-way?
1) Los changes: There is an easy way to get around this. I used a razor macro with tables/fish steaks. The cool thing about both is that after you lock down your "step", you can axe the tables, and cook or eat the fish steaks to get rid of them. If you're building complex or big staircases though, you are going to go through a LOT of both. Fish steaks are easy to come by and cheap, but unless you have/know a carpenter tables can get expensive.

2) Stairs are possible from any direction, using the razor method.

As you can kind of tell, I now have LOTS of experience doing staircases. If you have any questions or simple problems ingame, PM me. I'll also do full staircases for a fee.
Dolphins are NOT era accurate, and MUST be banned!
Sign my PETITION!

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Now I'm curious about where the lowest elevation tower might be (and thus, the tower that enables you to build the tallest structure on top).

SJane, please post some pics of this stuff you're doing!

SJane3384
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SJane3384 »

Mikel123 wrote:Now I'm curious about where the lowest elevation tower might be (and thus, the tower that enables you to build the tallest structure on top).

SJane, please post some pics of this stuff you're doing!
Ugh, ok. I'm being like super stingy about showing what I'm building, because it's going to be epic. Needless to say, anyone who copies this is getting like a million gp bounty on their head, haha. It's only about halfway complete because of the changes in LOS/"snap back" (I'm hoping they change back), but it's going to be 4 stories tall (with the third story being smaller than the other two, and the 4th being a ceiling of sorts.

Also, as far as the elevation goes, Nevermore says there's a tower spot somewhere that is so high up, you can't get to the third story or roof without the black screen effect. PRETTY COOL, though it would suck to have half the space. I'd assume, if the game is anything like real life, that swamp areas would be your best bet for low elevation. They seem very flat, so it would make sense.

Anyway, here's an older pic:

Lots has changed since that pic, including the third story being halfway built (finding enough staves was HORRIBAD). I've changed around the front of the keep quite a bit, including matching lanterns on the front, more with the water (you can't tell very well in the pic, but I tried to create the illusion of waves with the bottom water), and some better definition between the waterfalls and the rooms behind them (the East waterfall is halfway built). It's going to look awesome when it's done. I think the inside is starting to look pretty decent, too :)

If you know where it is, feel free to run by and step on the porch to watch the progress, but if you don't know, I'm not telling as I'd rather avoid an influx of thief types and copycats.
Dolphins are NOT era accurate, and MUST be banned!
Sign my PETITION!

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

high five
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Upgrayedd

Post by Upgrayedd »

Keeps are a bit different now. In the past, I liked to have stairs on the north side like this:
But the new LOS makes it so you can't place anything on that wall there.

Instead, I like to use the east side. If you start the stairs right by the railing in the northeast corner it works out perfect. This was you can still walk under the stairs in the southeast corner.

Have the stairs make a bend and double back next to the inner east wall like this:

Once you're on the main roof, you'll have to decide which way you want to get to the turrets. The key here is that the stool you use to go over the wall has to be above an archway. You could continue your main stairs and get to the northeast turret, but it's messy and people always get confused on how to get to the main roof. Instead I like to use the southwest side and a row of level stools running along the south, west and north sides (2 tiles away from inner wall) like this:

another example:
The years passed, mankind became stupider at a frightening rate. Some had hoped that genetic engineering would correct this trend in evolution, but sadly the greatest minds and resources where focused on conquering hair loss and prolonging erections.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

Any advice on getting over the SE corner Turret of the keep?
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

Is this impossible now?

I can't place that stool from either the east or the west.

Yes, I'm using razor macros. The Northeast and Southeast corners are connected just fine.
Attachments
castleclimbing.JPG
castleclimbing.JPG (49.58 KiB) Viewed 7342 times

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

bump... does anyone know if it's possible to place a stool there (east) of me? Or west of me if I approach from the other side... doesn't seem to work for me :(

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

From what Telamon showed me, you need to put tables underneath in the doorway, then drop the stool on the ledge directly above the tables.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

Thanks! I'm gonna try that now.
If that doesn't work, I'm going to go north and put stools on the northernmost edge, then west and then south until I get a stool in its place. Obviously, chairs look like an easier solution.