Stat loss

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Stat loss

Post by Panthor the Hated »

stat loss is era accurate so you can stop holding your breath now

morganm

Post by morganm »

BobDobbs wrote:Did you know stat loss existed when you created your first character?
Even if he didn't... ignorance isn't an excuse.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

How about if you ress in statloss you become blue again and your counts reset?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

BobDobbs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BobDobbs »

Stick to inventing weird templates.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken
UOSA Last.fm group!

ImaNewbie

Post by ImaNewbie »

khamaileon wrote:stat loss is just right as it is now.
a red as alredy too much ways to exploit our rules.
I'd like to know how.
morganm wrote:
BobDobbs wrote:Did you know stat loss existed when you created your first character?
Even if he didn't... ignorance isn't an excuse.
*sigh*
making your own forum avatar/banner using Adobe CS5. Cheap and Fast delivery, pm me for details.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

First off, let's remember that the shard's goal is era accuracy in the mechanics of the game. This is the way the game handled it at our cut-off date, that's the way it's going to be here, regardless of opinions. Facts and evidence change the mechanics of this shard, and the fact is stat loss was prevalent during our era.

People have talked about introducing NEA things like necromancy and elves, and have been ridiculed in such a manner they have been basically run out of the shard. I don't see much difference in this, other than most players here have a PK, which this change might favor. At the end of the day, it is effectively altering the mechanics of the game in a non-era accurate manner.

Yes, there has also been discussion about champspawn events and special creatures for those events, and other loooong discussions on (what some people consider NEA) events like tournaments or CTF. Those discussions have always boiled down to being a policy issue. Most events of this kind are held for a very reduced period of time, in a very enclosed area (most of the time outside the actual "real world"), and thus do not alter the mechanical aspect of the game going forward.

Not that I think this change even has the remotest possibility of going through, but just for the sake of continuing the discussion as far as stat loss per-se is concerned, Mikel has a very valid point which has not been addressed:
Mikel123 wrote:Stat loss is exponentially easier on this type of shard than it was in 1999. I can't believe this is even a discussion.

In 1999, you had to macro something to avoid getting disconnected due to inactivity. Here, you don't.
In 1999, you had to pay for extra accounts to play on while your murderer macroed off counts. Here, you don't.
In 1999, you could only be logged in on one client at a time. Here, up to three.
If you died in statloss in 1999, and had only one character, what would you have done? What were your options?

If the issue is convenience, let's talk about ethereal horses, blessed runebooks and item bless deeds.

This era was not meant to be easy. And at the end of the day, what sepparates this era's UO from any other game that has existed is that choosing one action over another has consecuences you have to live with, and not just pay your way out of. Such is the choice of being a PK.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

ImaNewbie

Post by ImaNewbie »

Well, your argument is very clear and I have to admit that you're right. Stat loss is a pain in the ass but well, guess we've got to deal with it anyway.
making your own forum avatar/banner using Adobe CS5. Cheap and Fast delivery, pm me for details.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Stat loss is era accurate, like Bobbie said. It should function just like it did during 1999. I am almost certain its currently era accurate.

Additionally, I am glad stat loss is the way it is, as it takes out fake pks who work counts like mikel.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

son wrote:I am glad stat loss is the way it is, as it takes out fake pks

Agreed. Removing stat loss would basically create amass of murderers killing off every single blue target that moved until the shard was choked of any new life. Need evidence? Take a look at pretty much every single "T2A Shard" that has no stat loss.

Stat loss is a waste of time/inconvenience to red players, it's a deterrent to prevent everyone from going red, it was originally added (most likely) for that purpose.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

no-statloss worked just fine on Siege Perilous, however the character limitations helped a great deal.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Stat loss is the perfect moderating mechanism to reduce the number of incompetent pks while still allowing that aspect of the game to be viable.

When insurance was introduced (around that time) on OSI, they also removed stat loss because insurance+trammel made pking less lucrative. The removal of stat loss had and would have an immediate impact on number of pks which we don't really need.

Vhyx

Post by Vhyx »

Yeah...

If you don't want to deal with all aspects of player killing don't do it. This is the wrong place to lobby for a really bad change merely because you dislike the consequences of your actions. Most of us here like the fact that the staff here avoid knee jerk changes just to make a single player happy.

Hythloth Tower for Sale. Contact Boondock_Saint via PMs because it's his and not mine. Azheman will broker the deal, naked.

ImaNewbie

Post by ImaNewbie »

ImaNewbie wrote:Well, your argument is very clear and I have to admit that you're right. Stat loss is a pain in the ass but well, guess we've got to deal with it anyway.