Era Accuracy?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
LostDog

Era Accuracy?

Post by LostDog »

I was just curious how "era accurate" this server will be, the other day I asked a friend about getting neon sandals and he told me they didn't spawn any more and I was wondering why. I was also thinking that it would be really nice if some of the newer houses, from UO:R such as the log cabins would be released. Now, I can understand being as accurate as possible as far as game play mechanics go and the over all feel of the game but here's a hypothetical situation. Say UO never expanded beyond T2A and to this day they were still in the T2A "era", wouldn't they have added at least more obtainable items such as neon sandals or perhaps colored weapons or armor, updated houses, monsters, etc.

Now correct me if I'm wrong about neon sandals not spawning any more, but I think that stopping them from spawning creates a problem with huge prices and hoarders. Now, I can understand that neon sandals would be pretty rare and expensive and even colored armor would be expensive as well. But if there's only a limited amount out there, very few people get to enjoy the pleasure of owning them. I think if more people had the ability to obtain these items that it would improve overall game play and it can still have the feel of the T2A era.

I'm not saying I want it to look any thing like the newer expansions of UO, but I think we can at least add a little more game play and goals to achieve for all players.

Sincerely,
Ben

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Era Accuracy?

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

:shock:

Okay I am not big into neon but I think the players and not the staff need to make this more "era accurate". We have too many small guilds and the large guilds aren't recruiting enough to actually have some kind of real politics and struggle here.

People are all farming and pking for their blasted green deer masks and pink ballet shoes...and missing the point entirely.

This isn't Human piloted AI here...

It's up to us to make this more colorful and add a bit more flavour...and what the heck are you wearing on your feet!
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

No idea what either of you are blabbing about to be honest.

Silver system vs Accuracy? No.

Housing rules? Do a search on why this will never happen.
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

Sanctum

Post by Sanctum »

Honestly, I'd be upset if neon ANYTHING were added to the server. It's just ugly. I would be happy if the server continues along its path of Era Accuracy and constantly strives for its goal of "Perfect Era Accuracy." However, part of what archaic said is true: A big part of the accuracy is up to the players. The community of T2A Ultima Online was one of the biggest, most important aspects. It's up to us, the players, to replicate that. If that means sitting at the West Britain Blacksmith repairing people's armor and chatting, then so be it. I'm prepared to do so on my future blacksmith.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

LostDog wrote:I was just curious how "era accurate" this server will be
Let me alleviate your curiosity.
LostDog wrote:the other day I asked a friend about getting neon sandals and he told me they didn't spawn any more and I was wondering why.
Your friend is right. They don't spawn anymore because at one point in the shard's history the vendors on the shard were using the custom vendor design system which was later added. For those of us in the know, and I knew because I made most of the neon sandles on the server, it was easy to place some vendors, set the sandle colours to neon, then let the vendors die - the new sandles would be in the backpack the vendors left on the ground.

After it was discovered this vendor system was inaccurate it was removed - along with your hopes of getting neon sandles without paying for them.
LostDog wrote:I was also thinking that it would be really nice if some of the newer houses, from UO:R such as the log cabins would be released.
Were you touching yourself at this point in time?
LostDog wrote:Now, I can understand being as accurate as possible as far as game play mechanics go and the over all feel of the game but here's a hypothetical situation.
As long as we stick to the premise that you understand this shard is aimed at being as accurate as possible and anything which follows is hypothetical then yes, let's continue.
LostDog wrote:Say UO never expanded beyond T2A and to this day they were still in the T2A "era", wouldn't they have added at least more obtainable items such as neon sandals or perhaps colored weapons or armor, updated houses, monsters, etc.
Hypothetically, yes. But UO did expand beyond T2A, don't forget. And let's not forget we're working within a framework of the two aforementioned premises!
LostDog wrote:Now correct me if I'm wrong about neon sandals not spawning any more, but I think that stopping them from spawning creates a problem with huge prices and hoarders.
Problem? What problem? You'll have to be more specific as to why huge prices and hoarders are a problem.
LostDog wrote:Now, I can understand that neon sandals would be pretty rare and expensive and even colored armor would be expensive as well.
I'm glad you understand the issue regarding sandles, but you will have to do further research with regard to the coloured armor aspect of your proposition here. Anyone who can hold a shovel or pickaxe can mine coloured ingots and then use blacksmithing to make coloured armor.
LostDog wrote:But if there's only a limited amount out there, very few people get to enjoy the pleasure of owning them.
Hence the well established, era-accurate and enjoyable hobby of buying, selling and trading rares. See the trading forums for more information on this issue.
LostDog wrote:I think if more people had the ability to obtain these items that it would improve overall game play and it can still have the feel of the T2A era.
Translation: "Give me the items I want without having to work at getting them within the current climate. Make neon sandles like kindling and let me wear them so I look pretty and feel validated. Improve overall gameplay for me and my laziness."
LostDog wrote:I'm not saying I want it to look any thing like the newer expansions of UO, but I think we can at least add a little more game play and goals to achieve for all players.
If this is what you want to do, then decorate a house all pretty, or buy some neon sandles, then have a fantastic quest for all the players of the shard to take part in to achieve ownership of these lovely items.

In the meantime, you can just go ahead paying me gold for all these items.

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Neon is ugly and one of the reasons I left EA shards.

The UO:R houses are nice, but still not T2A accurate. Though, if they were added, I wouldn't mind so much. The small tower is amazingly useful.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Are we honestly debating the likelihood of neons being added to the server?

Really?

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Release the neons!

Honestly it just looks like the kid got some bad info and is unaware of where neons come from.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=511

Neon hues for some items used to be a trophy reward, they never spawned and will never spawn.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

I like how when people get bad info other people start sprawling open a debate piling on the bad info.

Bad info in layers...it's like something from Taco Bell.

Thurthton

Post by Thurthton »

Love the game as it is here, and wouldn't want any rule changes (at least not that I can think of now) and definitely wouldn't want any of that neon nonsense.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if the small tower was available. It has the same footprint as the smallest houses currently available and could be implemented without changing the game in any significant way other than making the smallest footprint for a house into something that you can really decorate and enjoy. And perhaps an increase in the art of collecting things.

What's the general feeling on this folks?

LostDog

Post by LostDog »

Mens Rea wrote:
LostDog wrote:I was just curious how "era accurate" this server will be
Let me alleviate your curiosity.
Is that what they call a reach around these days?
LostDog wrote:the other day I asked a friend about getting neon sandals and he told me they didn't spawn any more and I was wondering why.
Your friend is right. They don't spawn anymore because at one point in the shard's history the vendors on the shard were using the custom vendor design system which was later added. For those of us in the know, and I knew because I made most of the neon sandles on the server, it was easy to place some vendors, set the sandle colours to neon, then let the vendors die - the new sandles would be in the backpack the vendors left on the ground.
After it was discovered this vendor system was inaccurate it was removed - along with your hopes of getting neon sandles without paying for them.
I never "hoped" that I would get any thing with out paying for it and if you never heard the phrase "time is money" then I feel sorry for your mother. And if the sandals were spawned on vendors and this was never meant to happen because it was inaccurate, why would the sandals still be in circulation? Shouldn't they have been removed? Do you think it's fair that only the people that abused this mess up get to have the sandals? I like how throughout your entire reply you're trying to insult my character with your comments about me not wanting to pay for the sandals, but I'm sure that the pairs you got were off of easily killing a custom made vendor? You're a hypocrite and raging all over my post.
LostDog wrote:I was also thinking that it would be really nice if some of the newer houses, from UO:R such as the log cabins would be released.
Were you touching yourself at this point in time?
I wasn't touching myself at the time I typed that, but I'm touching myself as I read your post.
LostDog wrote:Now, I can understand being as accurate as possible as far as game play mechanics go and the over all feel of the game but here's a hypothetical situation.
As long as we stick to the premise that you understand this shard is aimed at being as accurate as possible and anything which follows is hypothetical then yes, let's continue.
Yes, let's.
LostDog wrote:Say UO never expanded beyond T2A and to this day they were still in the T2A "era", wouldn't they have added at least more obtainable items such as neon sandals or perhaps colored weapons or armor, updated houses, monsters, etc.
Hypothetically, yes. But UO did expand beyond T2A, don't forget. And let's not forget we're working within a framework of the two aforementioned premises!
I understand that if time stood still on December whatever 99 and we are trying to be as accurate as possible to that day, then yes I don't expect there to be any items added but I think having the ability to expand upon a great frame work can only bring good things to the game.
LostDog wrote:Now correct me if I'm wrong about neon sandals not spawning any more, but I think that stopping them from spawning creates a problem with huge prices and hoarders.
Problem? What problem? You'll have to be more specific as to why huge prices and hoarders are a problem.
Let me elaborate, people who do have the small amount of sandals out there will either not sell them, or only the insanely rich will be able to afford them creating only a small group of players that the sandals circle through and a lot of players will miss out on the fun.
LostDog wrote:Now, I can understand that neon sandals would be pretty rare and expensive and even colored armor would be expensive as well.
I'm glad you understand the issue regarding sandles, but you will have to do further research with regard to the coloured armor aspect of your proposition here. Anyone who can hold a shovel or pickaxe can mine coloured ingots and then use blacksmithing to make coloured armor.
What I mean by colored armor is that there would be some sort of event, tournament, whatever where a person could win a special type of armor or weapon, or even a colored chest or some thing like that. I don't mean that the admins should throw a million different colored items out there either, they should be hard to get and you should have to earn them.
LostDog wrote:But if there's only a limited amount out there, very few people get to enjoy the pleasure of owning them.
Hence the well established, era-accurate and enjoyable hobby of buying, selling and trading rares. See the trading forums for more information on this issue.
By adding more items to the game, you give people more things to trade, buy and sell. Google "common sense" for more info.

LostDog wrote:I think if more people had the ability to obtain these items that it would improve overall game play and it can still have the feel of the T2A era.
Translation: "Give me the items I want without having to work at getting them within the current climate. Make neon sandles like kindling and let me wear them so I look pretty and feel validated. Improve overall gameplay for me and my laziness."
Translation: "This person is threatening the rarity of my neon sandals, I'm scared, alone with no friends and I don't know what to do. I guess my only option is to get angry irl and flame this guy" You obviously lack the ability to read people because the fact is, I'm not the kind of person who asks for hand outs and would agree that any special items such as a colored sandal should be hard to get and expensive. If you stopped raging so much irl, maybe you would have actually read what I said instead of only seeing what you wanted to see.
LostDog wrote:I'm not saying I want it to look any thing like the newer expansions of UO, but I think we can at least add a little more game play and goals to achieve for all players.
If this is what you want to do, then decorate a house all pretty, or buy some neon sandles, then have a fantastic quest for all the players of the shard to take part in to achieve ownership of these lovely items.
In the meantime, you can just go ahead paying me gold for all these items.
I think a major part of UO is the ability to have your own private space and have it be unique compared to other peoples houses, I would gladly buy some neon sandals but not off of some one who thinks their cool irl because they have them. You obviously seem mad about this whole topic, u upset bro? lulz

-Ben

LostDog

Post by LostDog »

Thurthton wrote:Love the game as it is here, and wouldn't want any rule changes (at least not that I can think of now) and definitely wouldn't want any of that neon nonsense.

That being said, I wouldn't mind if the small tower was available. It has the same footprint as the smallest houses currently available and could be implemented without changing the game in any significant way other than making the smallest footprint for a house into something that you can really decorate and enjoy. And perhaps an increase in the art of collecting things.

What's the general feeling on this folks?
It doesn't even have to be "neon" colors, they could be dark colors for all I care, they could be only the colors you see in T2A for that matter. I don't like all the colors every where in the newer UO's either and I wouldn't want to see neon crap every where. But even a small amount of color adds a lot of possibilities for us.

It would be nice to see even the small tower, that was one of my favorites along with the log cabin.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

if he gets neon I want a camo leather tunic, and like platform thigh boots :lol:
And one of those chernobyl looking glow in the dark horses with a mount bless deed...

And consensual pvp so my stuff wont break
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Thurthton

Post by Thurthton »

So, powers that be, if nothing else, any chance of seeing the small tower implemented??? Same footprint as a small house, no affect on rules, just a slight esthetic change. Significantly cooler than the small houses we all know and love.

Quin the Wretch
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Quin the Wretch »

Can I ride teh Beetle?
"I really need to increase my knowledgment" -anonymous