So...is scamming legal here?

Moderator: Support Moderators

Downs

Re: So...is scamming legal here?

Post by Downs »

Bakalakadaka wrote: You would think that only adults would be playing a nearly 15 year old game but no adult would screw over the small amount of people still interested in this game for some virtual gold.

You're only hurting yourselves by being assholes to each other...
Why would I play a GAME to act like an adult? I have to do that irl.

Sorry u got scammed, but if something so trivial ruined your experience, you're in the wrong era. We have full looting and lootable houses too. Just a heads up if u decide to stay
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

The people that play here choose this shard because they like the rules. They all know that others don't share their opinion. They also know all about scammers, in specific. If you had bothered to ask after your first experience you would probably have received a long list of places not to buy from as this is well tracked both on the forums and in game. This might be disheartening but it's part of the environment that we have chosen for ourselves. It is your perogative to make the same choice or another.

If your memory of UO begins post t2a I can understand how you feel. Please try to undersand how we feel. We want a challenge that goes beyond soloing the toughest monster in the game or collecting the rarest piece of clothing. This includes having to watch out for scammers, thieves, murderers and griefers (even the lovable ones from cA.) Actually, it's almost limited to that. If that doesn't sound enjoyable you might try out another free shard. UOGamers Divinity may be more your speed. Good hardware and playerbase but very little risk, effort or responsibility. And I mean no disrespect by that comment.

More comments I mean no disrespect by:
--It's your fault you got scammed. I needed a new full spellbook just last night. I asked for reputable vendors in IRC and was immediately told where to find one. I found honest to goodness full spellbooks there but it didn't matter because I had already been offered one for free from a complete stranger. There's a reason this game is multiplayer. Take advantage.
--Adults DO want to screw you out of virtual gold. This is a role-playing game where morally and ethically upstanding adults can act out their fantasies of being douchebag grifters. They don't, however, always have time to speculate on the ages of those scamming them. This is a point that I could lecture on endlessly. It has nothing to do with a game or maturity level but rather one's expectations of the world. We'd like to hear back from you after you've tried to file an insurance claim.
--We may have lost a new player but as others have said, if you can't handle this little pin-prick you weren't long for this world anyway. Should you change your mind, realize that you have bettered yourself by choosing the rougher road. You will find more satisfaction in your accomplishments the harder you have to work for them. This is a guarantee.
--We didn't hurt ourselves, we hurt you. Most of what you'll find on these forums are people here specifically for the forums. They may not even play the game at all. You have given all the forum addicts a new player. Most likely you've also given your scammer quite a good time by complaining about him, too.
--Lastly, don't bother trying to besmirch Sexy Smithy's reputation. She's famous around here for being super hot IRL. Which apparently matters greatly when using the internet as a forum for communication. Either way, people seem to like her so the name dropping is only hurting your case. Next time say it was BeatingU.

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

Bakalakadaka wrote:
Light Shade wrote:hahah, Sexy Smithy doesn't even play anymore....

Her signature says retired.

I run her vendors now. They are ONLY located on the Vesper Beach, The Yew Moongate in the Hangman's Gamble, and in DG Town.
After thinking a few hours about it the real reason I won't be returning is scamming tells me a great deal about the maturity level of the players here. You would think that only adults would be playing a nearly 15 year old game but no adult would screw over the small amount of people still interested in this game for some virtual gold.

You're only hurting yourselves by being assholes to each other...
http://www.villagevoice.com/2000-02-08/ ... -ethics/1/

One of the fundamental aspects of this game is that you can do nearly anything you want to. Staff will not police the playerbase.

Find which vendors are the legitimate, trustworthy ones and learn from your mistakes. If you're seriously considering quitting because you lost 10k on fake runebooks then this probably isn't the shard for you.

Bakalakadaka

Post by Bakalakadaka »

Great post McSchnurke, I needed that.

I'll try and sum up this entire topic with one word...RAGE!!

I forgot how it feels to fight epic battles against mongbats, orcs, and harpys for countless hours with a newb account trying to scrounge up enough cash to buy something only to get ****ed over. Fist meet monitor...

This looks like the best free T2A shard there is so I'll be giving it another go.

PS, I played UO on Great Lakes from 98 until a few months after Trammel.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

McSchnurke wrote:--Lastly, don't bother trying to besmirch Sexy Smithy's reputation. She's famous around here for being super hot IRL. Which apparently matters greatly when using the internet as a forum for communication. Either way, people seem to like her so the name dropping is only hurting your case. Next time say it was BeatingU.
Well played!! :lol:

However, SexySmithy, when she played, ran several very successful and reputable vendor establishments and probably traded more in game gold than most of us will see. It is not tough to change a house's sign to put somebody elses name on it, specially if you want it to sound legit.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

Bakalakadaka wrote:Great post McSchnurke, I needed that.

I'll try and sum up this entire topic with one word...RAGE!!

I forgot how it feels to fight epic battles against mongbats, orcs, and harpys for countless hours with a newb account trying to scrounge up enough cash to buy something only to get ****ed over. Fist meet monitor...

This looks like the best free T2A shard there is so I'll be giving it another go.

PS, I played UO on Great Lakes from 98 until a few months after Trammel.
Good to hear. Hit me up on IRC sometime and I'll get you that runebook free of charge.
Pirul wrote: Well played!! :lol:

However, SexySmithy, when she played, ran several very successful and reputable vendor establishments and probably traded more in game gold than most of us will see. It is not tough to change a house's sign to put somebody elses name on it, specially if you want it to sound legit.
Thanks. :wink: I had to throw that in since she apparently hasn't been around since I came here and yet I've heard two dozen times that she's so hot. Wonder who her PR agent is. . . BTW, I R HOT TOO GLD PLZ.

Sexy Smithy

Post by Sexy Smithy »

McSchnurke wrote:BTW, I R HOT TOO GLD PLZ.
Pfft! Seriously!?!?!? Gold!?!?!?!? You're just doing it wrong!

IR NEW SLVR PLS!

Selling yourself short with that gold nonsense...

Special Projects Minion.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Sexy Smithy wrote:
McSchnurke wrote:BTW, I R HOT TOO GLD PLZ.
Pfft! Seriously!?!?!? Gold!?!?!?!? You're just doing it wrong!

IR NEW SLVR PLS!

Selling yourself short with that gold nonsense...

So, are you going to refund this gentlemans money or not?

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

OMG! She's real!?! It's like finding the tooth fairy, who I hear is also super hot IRL.

Thanks for the tip, too. But I think Matron could use your help. I've only heard that she's hot once. . . Perhaps your PR agent has some time now that the gospel of your hotness has thoroughly suffused the UOSA masses.

Downs

Post by Downs »

we're all hot chicks on uosa
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!