Nightmare colors not era accurate

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: Nightmare colors not era accurate

Post by Derrick »

There are four as in the image LightShade posted above.

This may be an issue of client version? I looked at a bunch of nightmares and identified all four varieties. It's possible that the visual appearance varies in later client version. Have you ever seen the tan horse with a long mane in game? (image above)

Update: I just checked again, it definitely is a lighter colored mare with a long mane in my 5.0.8.3 client.
Last edited by Derrick on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: update: checked
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

You are right Derrick... forgot about the middle brown one.

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

I have client 5.0.8.3 downloaded from this site only, nothing else installed. I always see the tan horse with long mane in game. I always see plenty of nightmares in the lighter shade with a long mane also. It's the pure dark black with the short mane that we've never seen.

On OSI shards, when T2A first came out and throughout, there were the 4 distinct different color/mane combinations, including the pure black with short mane. There was never a change through that time for different clients. Not a slightly darker shade of grey as the image from The Taming Archive on page 1 shows, but a true dark black as my image shows in the screenshot posted. There's no mistaking any shade of grey for the pure black color.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

It looks like you mean to say there were 16 variations of the mare? 4 styles, and 4 colors?
I do see the distinction in the image now. I'm not sure how this is possible, as we know the mare hue, and we know the darkest mare must be the one that appears the darkest, adding three additional hues are going to be lighter hues, I don't see any darker hues for this that are valid candidates. I guess i wonder now, if in era, the dark brown horse didn't have a short mane.
Taming archive shot from last page.
Taming archive shot from last page.
pets-steeds[1].jpg (58.41 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
In your screenshot on the previous page though, you are clearly not on the dark brown model, as I do notice the nose is darker than the rest of the head, this is not the case on the dark brown horse alone in the above image.

Still looking...
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

Derrick wrote:I guess i wonder now, if in era, the dark brown horse didn't have a short mane.
Definitely possible... since the graphics were changed(enhanced) during the UOR era.

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

No, there's only 4 variations: pure black with long mane, pure black with short mane (the one I've never seen yet on this shard), grey with long mane, and grey with short mane.

The image from the Taming Archive isn't era accurate either. The top 2 models in the left row are the same. The one that's missing from in game is the top model in the bottom color, both left side.

To prove the top 2 left are the same, I took the rear end of the top left and pasted it onto the 2nd one down, outlining just the grassy area so you can see where the splice falls exactly on the nightmare's body. There's virtually no color difference visible there, and it should be as different as pasting the bottom left onto the 2nd one up (which I also did to show how different the color variations are, but without the red outline).

The screenshot I posted with the character on the nightmare is a pure black with a short mane, they most definitely were in game in that pure black color.

Edit: I should have used .png. The red text on the image which is blurred in .jpg is "This model" at the top left, "in this color" under the bottom left.
Attachments
SteedsRedone.jpg
SteedsRedone.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

Faust

Post by Faust »

The top two are different in the picture... the shading on the second one is darker and that is very apparent in the chest area of the 2nd horse. The shading is more obvious when using the silver steed hue on the two different models. Both models are the same style of horse but the default hue of 0x00 make one of them white and the other tanned.

Sexy Smithy

Post by Sexy Smithy »

I think the dark brown horse had a longer mane...I need to look more when I get a chance...
Special Projects Minion.

Rhis

Post by Rhis »

The taming archive screenshot seems era accurate to me. I don't ever remember seeing a pure mare with any other design than the one shown, and I had control of one of the t2a mare spawns on Napa for quite some time. There were definitely only 4 variations in total during this period.

I believe that at some point after t2a, perhaps around the time of the 3d client, the 2d client began using some additional variations of horse design and color. I seem to remember that some mares suddenly looked different overnight.

I realize this thread is old, but it needs to be said!