UO Nostalgia

Share stories and special moments with the community.
OneEyedJack
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: UO Nostalgia

Post by OneEyedJack »

Ahh the memories... I remember when it first came out. My old man and I were avid Diablo players and Ultima players, so obviously this game caught our eye. We then saw that there was a monthly bill to play so we said, "Piss on that. We'll stick with Diablo." The months went by and Diablo became boring... UO became like a nagging voice in the back of our minds. We eventually broke down and bought Prima's guide to UO, but couldn't seem to find a copy of UO itself. I asked the guy at Best Buy and he said Second Age was coming out so they stopped carrying UO. Damn! What rotten luck... we had to wait a month for it to actually come out.

Once we got the game home, we naturally started with the tutorial to learn how to play. What a misleading piece of trash that was... Anyone remember it? You start off blacksmith this glass God-like uber sword track down a dragon and kill it with one hit?! Hell yeah I want to be a blacksmithing tracker swordsman!

I started off on Atlantic (Later transfered to Baja and was known as Got Nukes and Raistlin of UTB). I made a blacksmith/swordsman since I only had 100 points to play with and start off in Vesper. This jack rabbit crosses my path and think to myself, "It's just a little bunny, I'm soon going to be making glass dragon slaying swords! Let's do this rabbit!" It owns me in no more than 10 seconds.

Frustrated with my defeat, I set off to just explore the huge world of UO. I travel strait up and run in to a mountain with about 8 people swinging at the wall. Equipping a pickaxe I found on the floor I set to harvest some ore. War mode + double click... Wait.... Nothing. War mode again... nothing. What the eff UO? Eventually some guy took pitty on me and showed me the ropes. No more than 5 minutes after I made my first ingot two reds (on foot) run into what I called Vesper Mines (and still do today) and wiped all 8 off us off the face of the planet. Fizzling several e bolts, but picked us all off one by one nontheless.

Incredibly frustrated at this point I logged off as a ghost in that mine. I then made a swordsman/tailor/tracker. My old man and I set off and found there were deer everywhere. (For some reason at this stage of the game you could make ALL tailored armor at 50, even studded.) So we quickly had a set of armor each and a way to make some cash. We finally found our place in the world of UO... the rest is history.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Malaikat wrote: My favorite UO story, however, is about the time we scammed a GM. It was on Catskills and there was a rare open book stuck on the ground under the huge roof of the Ironwood Inn - the one on the way out of town near the guard post. I imagine it belonged on a desk inside, but the developers just dropped it onto the wrong level. Anyway, we paged a GM and fed him this line about how I was trying to transfer it to my friend but misclicked and dropped it on the ground next to him, where it got stuck. He thought about it a moment, before unsticking it and handing it to me. Easiest gold I ever made, and bragging rights to boot.
Heh, just ran by there and the book I reference can be clearly seen. Ah, the memories...
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Sanctum

Post by Sanctum »

I started UO when Renaissance was released, but I had a story to share. My brother and his two friends played UO and inevitably got my sister and me interested in it. I started UO was I was 9 years old. I was struggling with my character name, so my brother's friend (Xaiyan Kolden in-game, my brother is Zeph Wightfyre) named my character "Ender." I was satisfied with my name. Anyhow, I had worked diligently to train my swordsmanship up to 80 and earned enough money to buy a set of GM Verite Platemail. I used a silver broadsword and a kite shield and I wore a red kilt, half-apron, cloak, and body sash with my shield dyed red. Anyhow, I finally got my set of Verite Platemail and I was so happy. I felt so pro and I had accomplished something. Then I took a trip to level 1 Despise and got raped by lizardmen who proceeded to steal every single piece of my Verite platemail. I was devastated...and I felt I had no other option but to delete my poor Ender. After that I started a character named Garet and trained up to something like 4x GM. I have, to this day, never reached the 700 skill point cap.

EDIT: Also, being a poor soul born in Trammel, I have never PvPed or PKed and as a result...completely suck at it.

Casin Cu Calas

Post by Casin Cu Calas »

I was 10 Yrs old in 99 When I started playing, My dad , three of my uncles , And several of my dad and uncles friends all played, on a consistent basis, My uncle being the only one to get good at pvp. At first I just messed around until I got showed the ropes. But anyways probably the funniest thing that ever happened to me was when i made a random new character with 50 archery 50 tactics, Bought a horse, ( transferring money via Secluded inn drop bag insta-log , log back in) Go east of brit , and everyone i attacked tryed to run, which i just followed and they would die... Now the funny part is about 3-4 people in, I see a guy dressed in full plate, on a horse, with honorable title grandmaster warrior, I figure im gonna die , but ill bug him a little. And attack,Instead of slaughtering me in the 20 seconds it would have took. he just trys to run, and we're a good distance out. He gets right by the border of town and dies. It was so funny.. Well i went red soon later, and another red mage came by and explo- ebolted me and i died in 2 seconds lol. stopped playing in 02-03?? when trammel was popular, and they completely ruined the game.

Koden

Post by Koden »

The times I remember are many, but one still gets a smile out of me. I hung with a small Group in a large Guild. We were Tram Baby's, but we weren't above "dropping a stone" to go dual some other tramer in fel.

So one of the guy tells me about getting set up. He is going to duel Dan (not the real name) , Dan needs Regs 1st, but he'll be back right here in 10 min.
Most of you have guessed buy now Dan spent the 10 min. getting his buddy hidden "right here" but in fel. My guy got ganked two on one.

One week later we see Dan . . Trying to pick a fight again . . . I moved to a spot and dropped a stone... Same game all over Dan picks a fight with my guy again, he is short on regs again. They pick a spot to meet, only this time it's where I am in fel. I see Dans partner hide about 3 tiles from where I'm hidden. The stone drops they walk through. The only thing we left on there bodes was a book telling them they were in a blood feud. Our whole Guild was looking for Dan & his game I was in on 3 more Dan kills before he begged us to lay off.
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish on UOSA and he will stay up until his wife yells at him to get to bed.

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

My first day of UO,

I wanted to be a blacksmith warrior so I could make my own armor and weapons and fight with it, a formula that worked well for me as a noob actually.

But on my first day I somehow found out about the mines north of Britain, I talk to a guy named Scrooge and he tells me to mine ore and we will have a partnership. I learn to mine ore, he smelts it, I see other players and they have a conversation and say things like "Pks" and I have no idea what they mean.

Eventually I think I make my first piece of armor, a bascinet helm, such a noob helm. I believe scrooge eventually scrooged me out of most of my labor and I never saw him again. It was a very fun day tho.

I also remember the first monster to ever kill me was an orc. I was so impressed with how well it killed me that I feared orcs for a few weeks. Eventually I made an archer character and learned to hunt and make bows in the woods east of Britain. My routine would be to go out there, chop wood, and make bows until my character was overloaded. In this process I would kill all birds I saw, make arrows, and I started to kill non magical monsters and grizzly bears.

Those were some good days.
Catskills 97-99

Delirious

Post by Delirious »

I started in dec '99. Made a character named Sir Rellik after my favorite minor character in the wheel of time series. I found a corpse between the Sweet Dreams inn, the bridge, and the healer's. I forgot what was on the corpse, but i remember looking at it and the items on it with newbie fascination in my freshman year in highschool. I tried to loot, died, and somehow found the healer's a screen away. I remember rezing and looking at my death robe and thinking I somehow accidentally joined a guild.

Anyway I eventually took it off and put it away in the bank thinking it was special and ran around naked not realizing how to open my pack, yet. Some guy yelled guards, I ran to the other side of the city and I died to a summon deamon near east brit bank. Eventually I bought a friend's account and sold mine on ebay.
MatronDeWinter wrote:Mortal Online?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm_pkxEJ ... re=related
No words can express how much I laughed