Mount Exploit.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Ronald McDonald

Mount Exploit.

Post by Ronald McDonald »

The dismount ''all follow me'' 100% stam regain is not T2A accurate. No one use to do that. You had to stand still for a while or feed your mount some fruits
Last edited by Kaivan on Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language.

Downs

Re: Mount Exploit.

Post by Downs »

references?

edit:

the best way to get results is by linking references to the era accuracy issue that you're raising (such as patch notes, forum posts, chat logs). they don't typically go by player memory.

if this proves to be true, it would be interesting.....
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

Ronald McDonald wrote:The dismount ''all follow me'' 100% stam regain is not T2A accurate. No one use to do that. You had to stand still for a while or feed your mount some fruits
We've been over this in other threads.

There is something to remember here: just because something didn't happen much in the era, doesn't mean that it couldn't have been done. We simply know a lot more about the game now after years of playing it than we did in 99 when we were still in discovery mode. Where we use to spar each other to gain fighting skills has now been streamlined from years of trial and error to get the best results in the shortest amount of time. Thus, you rarely ever see players sparring each other here.

Just something to keep in mind when calling out topics on accuracy.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

Ronald McDonald

Post by Ronald McDonald »

numbers peaked at around 250,000 on OSI, I'm sure word would have gotten around in those times.

Stuck
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Stuck »

Ronald McDonald wrote:numbers peaked at around 250,000 on OSI, I'm sure word would have gotten around in those times.
Just like the "word" of forge bellows raising your mining faster. Just like the word of eating food increasing skill gain. Yeah, word of mouth was very reliable back then.

edit:
To further explain my post:

If we're going based on word of mouth at the time, then we would implement increased skill gain when full.

But we don't, because we now know that it wasn't real in era. We're not going based on what was (or wasn't) commonly believed or practiced at the time. The general hearsay we all happen to remember from era is a complete irrelevance almost. I don't know why you bring it up.

[edit 2: Nevermind, I see now what you were saying here.]

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Stuck wrote: Just like the "word" of forge bellows raising your mining faster. Just like the word of eating food increasing skill gain. Yeah, word of mouth was very reliable back then.
That's not even a remotely similar comparison. Skill gain is so easy here that it is simply to test things such as that. Coupled with the fact that, you know, we can see the code now. In era with real skill gain challenges it would have been hard to determine whether or not those snake oil techniques worked. Testing whether your mount ran out of stamina would be easy though. Websites like askchopper, uoshack, uopros** and others would surely allow that trick to spread like wildfire, and indeed the trick is on those sites. Last time I checked, it was red-x'd on askchopper indicating that it no longer worked, but there is no way of knowing when that change took place.

Ne'rull

Post by Ne'rull »

Downs wrote:references?

edit:

the best way to get results is by linking references to the era accuracy issue that you're raising (such as patch notes, forum posts, chat logs). they don't typically go by player memory.

If this proves to be true, Humans will be slaughtered left and right by the orcs!

Stuck
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Stuck »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
Stuck wrote: Just like the "word" of forge bellows raising your mining faster. Just like the word of eating food increasing skill gain. Yeah, word of mouth was very reliable back then.
That's not even a remotely similar comparison. Skill gain is so easy here that it is simply to test things such as that. Coupled with the fact that, you know, we can see the code now. In era with real skill gain challenges it would have been hard to determine whether or not those snake oil techniques worked. Testing whether your mount ran out of stamina would be easy though. Websites like askchopper, uoshack, uopros** and others would surely allow that trick to spread like wildfire, and indeed the trick is on those sites. Last time I checked, it was red-x'd on askchopper indicating that it no longer worked, but there is no way of knowing when that change took place.
The point I was making had nothing to do with skill gain. It had to do with the fact that hearsay is unreliable. Sure, it definitely would have been harder to test those things in era. But were people even trying? or did they just accept hearsay without question? Does it even matter? The point still stands, the hearsay that was circulating was completely unreliable, yet it was heard all over. Read my post again please.

Populus

Post by Populus »

Ne'rull wrote:
Downs wrote:references?

edit:

If this proves to be true, Humans will be slaughtered left and right by the orcs!
Ne'rull!! Are you back?
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

While its not the outcome I was hoping for...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... 21a373ecf6

From Sep, 1999

On 20 Sep 1999 17:08:29 GMT, snmtom...@aol.com (SnM Tomato) wrote:

- Hide quoted text -
- Show quoted text -
>>Do they just
>>>keep eating as long as you feed them? Or do they stop eating at a certain
>>>point?

>Horses are, indeed, bottomless pits.

>you will never get the message: "Your pet is too full to eat anymore"

>But, if you dont want to invest in animal lore, my general rule of thumb is a
>"confused" (wild) horse goes to "wonderfully happy" in 4 cabbages. depends on
>the type of food you use, carrots take a little more, etc. keep the horse fed
>every hour or so...feed it 4 before you go out, then one every hour or so, it
>should stay tame. i've kept the same horse for months this way.

>good luck :)~

>SnM Tomato
>*in the secret dimly lit backroom of the produce department, usually tied to
>some kind of fruit....*

The other thing you should note, is that animals get happier each time
you command them successfully. This is why you see the odd person get
off his horse, and scream "Silver follow me" two hundred times.
Spamming the horse this way works, but is annoying for other people.
As a rule of thumb, I get off my horse about every half hour of play
and tell it to follow me 3 or 4 times. Doing this I've had my latest
horse for over a week without feeding it. Either way its still really
helpful to have some animal lore.

Bunk [PAG]
and then Jerome responded to the above quiote with...
"all follow me" is a command to give full stamina to the horse
If you run fast with your horse he will be tired.. then just unmount him
say "all follow me" and remount him
That's why people say that to restam their horse
Last edited by Ronk on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Ne'rull

Post by Ne'rull »

bummer

Rhis

Post by Rhis »

It was obviously a bug though...
I don't see why we need to copy the bugs from t2a, especially ones like this where there is a non-bug mechanic (feeding) that achieves the same result.

Let's be honest, it was only there because OSI was too lazy to fix it at that point. It's just yet another case of where aiming for the spirit of t2a rather than exact accuracy would produce a superior game play experience at basically no expense to what people love about t2a.

If anything, weird shit like this is detrimental to attracting the type of player this server needs badly.. non-pvpers. These type of players don't remember weird shit like people dismounting to say all follow me, the end result being it seems like the exploit which it was, breaks immersion, and ruins the nostalgia factor.

I'll throw out another example: locked down keyrings. When i joined UOSA I initially saw so many attached where a lock would be on doors that I thought it must have been something that was added to the client. Whether or not it was possible in era, which imo it was not (I certainly never saw it) it just ends up being an immersion breaker. In any case, in terms of attracting new players, things that only a few people knew about in era are better left out than in, because here they are abused by everyone.

Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kelektra »

Going completely on memory but from what I remember by the time mount fatigue was in place alot of us didnt have to deal with because we all had eternal mounts from the vet rewards on OSI.
Shards Only T-Map Validation System viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24446

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

so you people prefer the non accurate solution to this "problem" ( which it's not ) previously you could run the entire t2a map and not even get stam drained once on a horse, so stam was adjusted properly and a era accurate bug that existed in era exist still.
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Baslin

Post by Baslin »

Rhis wrote:It was obviously a bug though...
I don't see why we need to copy the bugs from t2a, especially ones like this where there is a non-bug mechanic (feeding) that achieves the same result.
They are copied because this server is based around being era-accurate. There are many things that ended up being polished later in UO's lifetime that were not so during T2A.