Recall/Murder Count Discussion Question

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Recall/Murder Count Discussion Question

Post by Mens Rea »

If someone attacks you, and takes away some hitpoints, then you recall, then iirc then you are not able to give them a count?

Is this correct?

I noticed that if you cast EB one somone at the very instant they recall, and the damage is delayed until they arrive at their destination (for instance explosion spell, or the delay on EB, etc) then they can still give a count.

Is this the intended mechanic?

Does anyone know if it is accurate?

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Recall/Murder Count Discussion Question

Post by Hicha »

Mens Rea wrote:If someone attacks you, and takes away some hitpoints, then you recall, then iirc then you are not able to give them a count?

Is this correct?

I noticed that if you cast EB one somone at the very instant they recall, and the damage is delayed until they arrive at their destination (for instance explosion spell, or the delay on EB, etc) then they can still give a count.

Is this the intended mechanic?

Does anyone know if it is accurate?
It's a rare but hilarious moment when someone recalls into brit and suddenly explodes and dies. I remember dying this way twice on Live, but right at the beginning of UO:R so I couldn't say for certain it was a T2A mechanic (although I'm sure it must've been as it carried over.)
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Although there is no certainty in this, it is likely that the answer is yes.

From the demo we can tell that when an innocent player is harmed by another player for the first time that two different lists are updated for the victim. One is called canReportIdList and the other is called canReportNameList. These two lists keep track of the players that have recently damaged, debuffed, poisoned, or paralyzed a given player, and are likely updated at the moment that one of the aforementioned actions takes place (Batlin would be able to shed more light on exactly how this works as this functionality is in the core of the demo). Additionally, when a player receives a beneficial action (healing or curing) or naturally regenerates life, the above factors are checked again to determine whether these lists are cleared from the character. If any of the above conditions are still met (not at full health, still debuffed, poisoned, or paralyzed), then the lists remain untouched. Otherwise, the contents of the lists are cleared. This fulfills the normal operation for reporting murders where each harmful action can place you on the list, and each helpful action checks to see if the entire list should be cleared.

Extending upon this, the recall spell can clear the contents of these two lists upon a successful cast, and is a very easy implementation to do. Assuming that such an implementation is made, we can get an idea of the expected results when a player is cast on while they are recalling. If the damage is done before the cast is completed, then the recall will wipe the lists, including the most recent attack, even if that last attack is the first attack by that player. However, if the damage happens after the recall, then even if the aggressor was already on the list and was removed during the recall, the aggressor can still receive a murder count because the damage from their very last attack happens after the recall is complete and puts them back on the list again.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Thanks Kaiven - did spell damage follow you in T2A demo?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Mens Rea wrote:Thanks Kaiven - did spell damage follow you in T2A demo?
I remember that you could negate spell damage by jumping server lines. If you bounced back and forth over the server line near brit GY, delayed damage spells would do no damage.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

I use to hate that, as a miner. A pker would have attacked me and I would just recall out in the nick of time, only to have that final explosion hit and kill me. I learned fairly quickly that town was a very bad place to recall to when attacked by a pker.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Mens Rea wrote:Thanks Kaiven - did spell damage follow you in T2A demo?
Yes it did.
Corbin wrote:I use to hate that, as a miner. A pker would have attacked me and I would just recall out in the nick of time, only to have that final explosion hit and kill me. I learned fairly quickly that town was a very bad place to recall to when attacked by a pker.
If this is your experience, it is necessarily a UOR experience, because spells did no damage in town during T2A. Despite this, the information is consistent with what we know of the mechanics.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org