Delay between skills

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Delay between skills

Post by Mikel123 »

This was March 1999 I believe.

Yeah I can't disagree with you, but at this point the evidence seems to be 3-2 or 4-2 in favor of 10 versus 6 seconds. IMO.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Mikel123 wrote:This was March 1999 I believe.

Yeah I can't disagree with you, but at this point the evidence seems to be 3-2 or 4-2 in favor of 10 versus 6 seconds. IMO.
Well post a link. I don't really care either way but era accuracy is important. So far ive seen Kaiven's link which was from 2000...after the cut off. And your 'i believe' link.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Ronk wrote:
Kaivan wrote:The newsgroups have very little information on the actual delay for stealth (which isn't exactly known because it was added after the demo), but judging from the skill delays on skills such as Meditation (which was and still is 10 seconds), the skill delay should be the same. In that regard, this newsgroup post indicates that the hiding and stealthing delay were 10 seconds (with some extra time thrown in for typical 56k connections).

Edit: In either event, the above macro wouldn't work because hiding still had a 10 second delay, even if we assumed the stealth delay was 6 seconds. Thus, the macro is 'bad' regardless.
That one is march 2000 though. I hate looking for answers in patch notes as they are so inaccurate/incomplete, but I wonder if there are any notes that discuss stealthing.
March 2000 is still during T2A, and is during a time when no documentation of changes exists for stealth timers (again, we can't assume that whatever someone says is true when it's not backed up by some information).
Ronk wrote:
Mikel123 wrote:I found another post stating a 10-second delay (well, advising 11 seconds, for the 10 second delay plus lag/ping). Still strikes me as odd that Ronk's post could think it's 6 seconds when it's really 10, and they'd give a bogus macro example in the patch notes.
Whats the date on that though? Obviously it was changed to 10 at some point. It sounds like, maybe, it was originally 6. Aren't there some other skills that are/were also 6?
All skills in the demo that that you 'use' (as in hitting the blue button) have a 10 second delay. The only additional skills to consider during T2A are Remove Trap, Stealth, and Meditation.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

I said 2000 was after the cutoff, that that it was out of T2A era.

And we are now ruling out all old webpages and forums as valid sources? When did this happen? You are going to have a very difficult time figuring out era accuracy based on incomplete patch notes, demo codes, and guesses. Lol.
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Ronk wrote:I said 2000 was after the cutoff, that that it was out of T2A era.

And we are now ruling out all old webpages and forums as valid sources? When did this happen? You are going to have a very difficult time figuring out era accuracy based on incomplete patch notes, demo codes, and guesses. Lol.
I'm not sure how noting that there were no changes to the stealth timer during T2A constitutes ruling out all old web pages and forums as possible sources. The only thing that my post attempts to point out is that there are no documented changes to suggest that the timers were changed in the first place. Thus, we only have two conclusions to draw; either the information from one of the two players is incorrect and the timer was either 6 or 10 seconds, or there is an undocumented change to stealth, making both posters correct and throwing the question of when the change occurred into the spotlight.

In either event, the discussion on stealth timers has no bearing on the initial macro. In order for that macro to work, there would need to be a different timer for hiding.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Ah, maybe I misunderstood your comment where you said, "we can't assume that whatever someone says is true when it's not backed up by some information". I took it to imply you were saying that these old google forum posts are not valid sources because its just people discussing it.
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Ronk wrote:Ah, maybe I misunderstood your comment where you said, "we can't assume that whatever someone says is true when it's not backed up by some information". I took it to imply you were saying that these old google forum posts are not valid sources because its just people discussing it.
What I was trying to say is that we can't just accept what someone says at face value and assume that is what was actually occurring on OSI servers, particularly if there is no information to support that position.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Kaivan wrote:
Ronk wrote:Ah, maybe I misunderstood your comment where you said, "we can't assume that whatever someone says is true when it's not backed up by some information". I took it to imply you were saying that these old google forum posts are not valid sources because its just people discussing it.
What I was trying to say is that we can't just accept what someone says at face value and assume that is what was actually occurring on OSI servers, particularly if there is no information to support that position.
Well, no. You can't accept anything at face value, not even patch notes or stratics. All of those were done by people and people make mistakes. In addition, I can understand putting more skepticism behind the forums because its likely people have stated things as fact when they just 'assumed' something was the way it was.

In the google thread I was talking about, they were clearly discussing stealthing being over powered because you could stealth too frequently, only house owners could reveal (thus people were getting robbed), and it was too easy to stealth up and snoop someone.

I haven't seen the patch note but apparently there is one where the snooping stealth thing changed. I would guess its very likely that this same patch is where the time may of been increased from 6 to 10 and where everyone gained the ability to reveal in a house. But its just guesses.
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Ronk wrote:
Kaivan wrote:
Well, no. You can't accept anything at face value, not even patch notes or stratics. All of those were done by people and people make mistakes. In addition, I can understand putting more skepticism behind the forums because its likely people have stated things as fact when they just 'assumed' something was the way it was.

In the google thread I was talking about, they were clearly discussing stealthing being over powered because you could stealth too frequently, only house owners could reveal (thus people were getting robbed), and it was too easy to stealth up and snoop someone.

I haven't seen the patch note but apparently there is one where the snooping stealth thing changed. I would guess its very likely that this same patch is where the time may of been increased from 6 to 10 and where everyone gained the ability to reveal in a house. But its just guesses.
That patch does not change the timing at all. It simply makes it so that you must re-hide in order to snoop without revealing. It's interesting to note that shortly after stealth was nerfed by this, it was un-nerfed. They added the ability to detect hidden for everyone associated with a house, and then a little time later added back in the ability to snoop while stealthed. I think it's silly that we have no-snoop-w/-stealth here considering it was only in the game for a trivial amount of time and there is a developers talk noting it's mistake.

This is just one of the reasons I do not like this pre-uo:r theme. It's just not t2a.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

MatronDeWinter wrote:That patch does not change the timing at all. It simply makes it so that you must re-hide in order to snoop without revealing. It's interesting to note that shortly after stealth was nerfed by this, it was un-nerfed. They added the ability to detect hidden for everyone associated with a house, and then a little time later added back in the ability to snoop while stealthed. I think it's silly that we have no-snoop-w/-stealth here considering it was only in the game for a trivial amount of time and there is a developers talk noting it's mistake.

This is just one of the reasons I do not like this pre-uo:r theme. It's just not t2a.
What patch changed stealth to allow you to snoop without re-hiding? There is no patch to indicate this during T2A (unless the wiki simply doesn't have it).

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

I have old old macros from in era that had 7 second time delays on them. I cannot prove that some skills had different timers, but my old macros and memory both tell me they did. Its been something i've always wondered about on this shard, but never bothered to dig up info on.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro