And my Christmas gift for you this year is....

News and Announcements
caveman

Re: And my Christmas gift for you this year is....

Post by caveman »

Thesbus wrote:Now, I seem to recall a discussion with one of the developers that claimed there were really no such thing as monthly rares. They were rares that would respawn after it had decayed due to not being locked down, house decay, etc. Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone know if that is the way it was implemented here?
You're correct about most of the serverbirth and "monthly" spawns actually being bounce-back spawns. It is different here. It would probably be impossible to find out which items and where they spawned on osi.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

A little Christmas update for 2009.....

All the server birth rares have NOT been found.

Good luck trying to find the rest of them :)

nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

Wow, at first when I read the thread I thought to myself "Oh awesome, i'll get a christmas bag with a rare in it!"

Then I realized that the rares were actually re-spawned throughout the world.

Then I noticed that nearly all of them have already been gathered. Cool. =/

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Ah, I assumed there were some unique rares placed hidden around the world.

I spent 30 minutes looking around Magincia and Nujelm, picking locks and looking in bookshelves. Didn't realize they were simply spawned in the "normal" server rare locations.

Next time, just save a step and put them directly in the known rare collectors' bank boxes.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Btw, somewhat on topic... does anyone remember rare collecting being so ridiculously pervasive (and profitable) in 1999 as it is here?

I don't think I even knew what gold wire or fruit baskets were until 2001, when they started doing that seed & gardening crap and were on the way to implementing the neon weapons.

Here, it's like the backbone of the economy. I feel like I'm buying things with yen and everyone else is spending dollars, because I kill blood elementals for money and a couple dozen people swipe shackles from some obscure location.

Crafters don't have an event in which a few of them will magically, randomly craft a 50 AR plate chest... PvMers don't have random days in which a blood elemental will spawn with 100,000 gold (or 1,000,000+ gold)... and yet, a few times a year this stuff happens, in which essentially MILLIONS of gold is given to the small group of people who have chosen one particular path in this game, and have been around long enough to know precisely where on this shard these things spawn.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Mikel123 wrote:Ah, I assumed there were some unique rares placed hidden around the world.

I spent 30 minutes looking around Magincia and Nujelm, picking locks and looking in bookshelves. Didn't realize they were simply spawned in the "normal" server rare locations.

Next time, just save a step and put them directly in the known rare collectors' bank boxes.
If you read the original post, you'll find that these rares are indeed unique rares spawned throughout the world. Please keep in mind, these are rares from last year and are not something that was added recently. This has nothing to do with the normal spawning rares.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Ah my bad. I did read over the original post (I wasn't here back then for the original event), but then I read the one from nickhimself himself, and got confused.

You must have found a heck of a hiding place for these things.

I will continue my search this evening...

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I searched throughout Nujelm, Magincia, and pretty much the entire northern section of the lost lands (the ice area, Terra Sanctum, Wyvern point & island, Ophidian Lair, etc. No sign of anything... though all I did to "look" was use the SHIFT + CTRL to highlight everything moveable on the screen.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

OK, I give up. I don't even want the rares, I want to see the hiding places!

platypus

Post by platypus »

You're not going to find them. Flash and I helped each other out and looked for about a day straight and didn't find a single one. We searched all of T2A towns/places of interest, all of the dungeons in Britannia, all of the towns and containers in shops, etc. It was basically the people who were on when they spawned that got them all. Voltron got pretty much all the cool ones anyway.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

But you don't know that, right? There could be more cool ones out there... they've got to be SOMEWHERE, right?

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

theres more out there still
just in rediculously hard places to find

Everlynn

Post by Everlynn »

This was all around a completely stupid idea done by the staff... the items were server birth for a reason not to re-make them allowable to the public. unbelieveable... not to mention a select few people got to benfit from it because only a simple post was made of its existance.

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

I found a bunch after the first week, and I know Shawn of TB found one almost 7 months after the release of them.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Everlynn wrote:This was all around a completely stupid idea done by the staff... the items were server birth for a reason not to re-make them allowable to the public. unbelieveable... not to mention a select few people got to benfit from it because only a simple post was made of its existance.
I agree with you that the way this was communicated wasn't very thoughtful however server birth 'rares' were not created for any reason.

They were simple mistakes that became something they were never intended to be.