Anatomy and Eval INT skill gain is atrocious!!

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Anatomy and Eval INT skill gain is atrocious!!

Post by Hoots »

son wrote:WTF at people suggesting im "doing it wrong".

Its a TIME issue, can you understand? It looks like it might take 2-3 days to gm eval int here. 2-3 days!

Its a TIME issue, can you understand? It looks like it might take 2-3 days to gm eval int here. 2-3 days!
Time out?

Are you saying 2-3 days to gm eval or anat is too long???

There is zero chance that you played in t2a if you are complaining that 2-3 days to gm eval, or any skill actually, is too long.

Make the other skills slower to match accuracy, not speed up slower skills to be relative to non accurate faster skill gain..

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

This is why staff are afraid to follow some of the OSI policies, if players can't make a character AFK in a day or two, they don't want to play.

That's everything this era wasn't.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

If Derrick makes all the gain algorithms era accurate you will all shit bricks.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

alatar

Post by alatar »

son wrote:If Derrick makes all the gain algorithms era accurate you will all shit bricks.
Lol'd at this.. It's true though.

I also think that a lot of people are forgetting that on OSI you couldn't just stand in your castle and macro magery from 50-100 in <x> amount of time. You were only allowed to gain so much in a certain skill while inside a certain radius..

Thus brought about the 8x8 technique. Not that this is hard to accomplish, but it makes way for a good pirate renegade guild.. :wink:
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Why is that an issue? Is your wife giving birth in 2-3 days or something? Settle down, enjoy the game and macro while you sleep. People are making a huge deal out of something you can very easily afk macro in town, I don't get it.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Reading over the UOHC I found this question, you sure you want it changed?
quote wrote:Glamdring> *Life_KoC* Beyond 91 Eval Int it currently takes 5 hours to gain .3 any plans on making it easier since macroing is prohibited ?

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

poogoblin wrote:

Why is that an issue? Is your wife giving birth in 2-3 days or something? Settle down, enjoy the game and macro while you sleep. People are making a huge deal out of something you can very easily afk macro in town, I don't get it.
Tangent discussion is tangent.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

son wrote:
poogoblin wrote:

Tangent discussion is tangent.

Ok, fair enough.

DeathTaxation

Post by DeathTaxation »

I have been playing UO since 97' and i dont think any of the skills is all that hard to raise. I have had many GM and Legendary characters. Some skills take longer to GM but thats all game balance. Melee skills will raise quickest because most ppl who start out, start off with melee, you have to allow the player to gain some skills quick once in the game world, while working on the harder skills. I remember trying to GM blacksmithing, taming, and eval back in the days, it took forever it seemed like and back then we did it all by acutally doing it, not macroing. I like the macroing but i do still raise the skills as they where intended to be raise - by actually playing. I really dont see the point in macroing for a 4 days and come into the game with a fully Gmed character and have no game feel for it. The building phases is where you get your feel for that character and how your going to play it. I really wish they would make some skills very hard to GM, so there is not so many of them in game. Like taming for instance. I bet every account has a GM tamer with 2 dragons or more or nightmare steeds on it. They need to make some of this stuff only for the truly dedicated player. I dont think every account should have a GM tamer with a dozen (hypothetical of course) pets ie. dragon, nightmare steed, etc.

At least this is my opinion, im not saying im right or wrong just another angle. :D
StealthMode
Lake Superior 1997-2002

Looking for my buddy Sir Antra!

Luke

Post by Luke »

I have not played any other era emulation shards and I immediately noticed the skill gains were too fast here, way too fast or at least not based on difficulty to the point of being anywhere near accurate. I am not sure about the evaluating intelligence and anatomy because honestly it takes next to zero effort with macros and I wasn't counting the clock.

However, the more important skills are so easy to grandmaster - it's like taking a week of martial arts classes and being titled grandmaster. It really takes a lot from the game and as an RPG with character development and PvP this is very important. It often feels like I'm playing an FPS where everyone is the exact same character or two. Maxing-out your character's potential within a week or even a month is really a poor RPG experience not to mention completely illogical. How does it make sense to master combat in a few days or become a grandmaster mage in a week? It removes all immersion from the game world in favor of impatient people who just want to overpower others with easy mechanics and macros. These types of people see their character as a doll to give a stupid name and dress up as foolishly as possible; they obviously don't usually voice their opinion here because they don't care about the original game.

It's the one thing that makes the world feel most pointless to me; when your character means little. It's great if you're just here "own" people like a child playing a shooter while not appreciating many other aspects but either way... NEA. What is missing from this shard's society is the vast possible difference between your character and another combined with player skill. Currently there is virtually no effort involved in developing your character even though that's what the Ultima games were very much about in the first place.

If my opinion seems jaded then I apologize. I've been on this shard about a month now but only been killed once (by an npc orc when I was fooling around with hotkey options), I can grandmaster skills very easily, I have a house and more than enough gold, and I idoc looted a few hundred thousand worth of vanq and force weapons in the first few weeks playing, and Razor does everything else for me. So... not feeling very challenged here and please forgive me if I'm just complaining about good things. My only real issues are the ease of character development and Razor. Again bottom line is NEA and I'm glad to hear others care about this issue. Overall I am very happy to be here having so much fun again and do not want to sound thankless but this is important in my opinion. It is especially important for keeping certain kinds of players from leaving out of boredom and rewarding the players who actually care about the world and this shard.

Lucien

Post by Lucien »

alatar wrote: You were only allowed to gain so much in a certain skill while inside a certain radius..
What do you mean with that? And what is this 8x8 technique?

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

First off....HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION!
Lucien wrote:
alatar wrote: You were only allowed to gain so much in a certain skill while inside a certain radius..
What do you mean with that? And what is this 8x8 technique?
8x8 is a mechanic added in with UO:Renaissance...well after the cutoff...and is not Era-Accurate at all. Basically, people would sail North around teh world working skills saying "Forward One" work skill. "Forward One" work skill....untill they gained. Then they would sail forward 8 tiles and work their skill till they gained again. Optimal skill gain was on an 8x8 Matrix.

Again, Not Era Accurate At All.

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Luke

Post by Luke »

Hah, well I hardly consider something on the second page to be resurrected. That just means there is little discussion on something that is so important. It's strange that so few people care about this forum. There are all sorts of things to discuss, like skill/stat locks and why they are here. Second, people doing things like 8x8 (and other similar ideas) were around while I was playing and I left before UO:R. So... maybe it was just people guessing at a way to gain skill but a few of my friends were doing this before UO:R - there is no mistaking it because I left before UO:R. The number of tiles varied but people were doing it. Now... whether it was a game mechanic at that point or just people trying to get an edge without knowing, I don't know.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The anti-macro code came in with a host of changes with the last T2A patch approximately 1 month before UOR. Before then, no special code existed to facilitate skill gain through movement.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Luke wrote:Hah, well I hardly consider something on the second page to be resurrected. That just means there is little discussion on something that is so important. It's strange that so few people care about this forum. There are all sorts of things to discuss, like skill/stat locks and why they are here. Second, people doing things like 8x8 (and other similar ideas) were around while I was playing and I left before UO:R. So... maybe it was just people guessing at a way to gain skill but a few of my friends were doing this before UO:R - there is no mistaking it because I left before UO:R. The number of tiles varied but people were doing it. Now... whether it was a game mechanic at that point or just people trying to get an edge without knowing, I don't know.
First off, a lot of people post in this forum. As far as importance of your raised issues, I would argue that is just your opinion. anatomy and Eval Int do not gain like they did in Era. I will agree with that. As far as skill gain being too fast on other skills, I do not agree with that. I think most of the skill gains are appropriate for the number of players on this shard and for a Free Shard in general.
Kaivan wrote:The anti-macro code came in with a host of changes with the last T2A patch approximately 1 month before UOR. Before then, no special code existed to facilitate skill gain through movement.
Aye, added in paving the way for UO:R Expansion. Perhaps a slight mis-representation there on my part, but still doesn't change my point.

Bottom line with it all is this shard's cutoff date is Nov. 23rd 1999. The changes that the Thread Resurrectioners are talking about are well past our cutoff date.

Therefore, they are Not Era Accurate. I understand that there are Era-Inaccuracies on this shard, but 8x8 and the ensuing Power Hour are 2 of them that I pray we NEVER see on this shard. I watched that completely destroy communities and player interaction. We've got enough things allowed on this server that destroy player-interaction (AFK Macroing) without adding others that are clearly NEA.

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro