My new player experience, things I want to share.

Moderator: Support Moderators

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Starting character:
The first misstake I made, was made right when I created a character. I wanted a tamer and a warrior and started off with wrong skills in advanced character creation. So if you are new and don't know with what skills to start, ask advice from players first. Each account can hold 5 characters so don't worry if you made a misstake, you can easily correct it. And if you want that character to have the same name as your first character: you can.

Getting the right information:
At first I was struggling gathering information about how skill gain works, how to train, which mobs to kill, etc. Ppl did tell me to go to website and log in on IRC, but I wanted the information in game and didn't right away.

After a few days I decided to check server FORUMS and boy the information out there is outstanding and great. I really like the New Players Sections and the Guide Forum. Thoose helped me tons and still do!

I also decided to log in IRC to see why everyone in game was so hyped about it. At first I was very shy, cus of the many many players in there. In IRC you can ask anything and some ppl will answer you. If you don't get an answer don't despare, just keep asking till someone does answer lol

Hunting spots:
If you get often killed at your hunting spots, then that is a good sign that you are trying to train/make money at the WRONG spots. As a new player, you have totally no idea which spots are relatively safe from pk's and which not. I suggest you take minimum gear and explore. Go to a huntspot stay there 10-15 minutes etc. If you do get killed don't run away as ghost, but show your ghost (go in warmode) and wait. 99% of the time (my own experience) pks will revive you. I heard ppl say that if you report a pk by giving a bounty (I always do a bounty of 1gp) the chance of a revive will increase.

Leave a huntspot when you see ANY player, even if they act nice and start talking with you! Because the chance that that player is a pk scout is very high!

Various funny-afterwards misstakes:
- getting curious where a gate leads. There you stand at bank and a gate pops up and you wonder: Where will it go? Do NOT go in. I got killed this way.
- if you see a box in a monsters corpse or anywhere in town: do NOT try to open it! It mostlikely is a trapped box which will kill you in one blow!
- make a razor macro for you mount. Record dismount, say: all follow me, put in pause 0.1 seconds, mount. For some reason mounts stop moving after a lil bit of running and this macro makes sure mounts stamina gets refreshed. You really don't wanna get killed because your mount ran out of stamina, believe me.

See you in game!
Shop at Stop&Shop in Yew. We restock daily!

Selling bulk boards and ingots. PM me over forums or in IRC.

Are you new on server? Check our site out: http://uonew.cephcom.net

Pirul

Re: My new player experience, things I want to share.

Post by Pirul »

Solid advice, thanks for sharing Pringles.

I hope the advice I gave you IG when you started was at least somewhat helpful. :P
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

podsosnoi

Post by podsosnoi »

Yes, it's cool thing with stamina refresh. BUT I don't understand HOW unmounted person can run faster(longer) than a mounted one. It's nonsense! What were Game Masters thinking about adding this stupid mount stamina.
Last edited by podsosnoi on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stromverbrauch

Post by Stromverbrauch »

Here is another tip:

Never trust a player vendor. It seems that around 80% of all Mage/Runebooks that are being sold are fakes. Very frustrating especially if you have a hard time making money as a newbie.

Same goes for magic items.

I just spent an hour finding a runebook that isn't fake and then got killed by a group of PKs who then left me dead in a dungeon.

This game/server is basically a dream for every 13 year old with too much time who finally got a place to have power over other people. And you should get used to scammers/griefers because that seems to be all this game is about for some.
podsosnoi wrote:Yes, it's cool thing with stamina refresh. BUT I don't understand HOW MOUNT can run faster(longer) than a man on FOOT. It's nonsense! What were Game Masters thinking about adding this stupid mount stamina.
Yeah, this is seriously retarded.

And just another thing that creates a problem that is automatically fixed by Razor. So it's a no-brainer that only benefits those who know how to use third-party tools.

This is another tip, I myself never have used Razor or any other third-party tools before, but when you get on here you should explore what Razor can do for you. Because if you don't use all these gimmicks you have a VERY big disadvantage towards other players. Razor really plays the game for you for big parts.

Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Zelek Uther »

Stromverbrauch wrote:It seems that around 80% of all Mage/Runebooks that are being sold are fakes.
Shop at reputable player vendors. Check out the advertisements for Player Run Vendors here: viewforum.php?f=33

Also: always ID spellbooks and magic items before you buy them. The Item ID skill costs nothing (just time) to GM - consider building a character with GM Item ID for shopping purposes!
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]

Return to “New Player Help”