Clean Up Britannia and Young Player Tickets

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
elhorno
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Clean Up Britannia and Young Player Tickets

Post by elhorno »

Anon Emous wrote:El Horno.....LAME.
Anon Emous, save that stuff for trash talk ok?

The staff cannot have been more clear, with ample reasons provided. What else is there to say man? Scroll up and read again.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Anon Emous wrote:El Horno.....LAME. As for the rest. If the admin is going to be firm on this one you need to create another way to get items like Neon dyes, Bless Deeds, Furni dye Tubs, and Monster statues other than the silver system. To be honest the silver system isn't accurate nor is it very practical. The only time I remember silver was for the chaos order battles being given out for killing players with more kills then you. Which as far as I know does not have anything to do with the silver system. The current event driven system is both lame and time consuming. At the current rates I have read of 20-25 new silver a day it would take a person a lifetime of work to acquire enough silver to buy anything of value. I have been doing the scavenger hunt to try to become a part of the silver system and to be honest the work is not even close to the reward. So for the people here who dont want to spend all their time working and would rather play the game and enjoy it something new needs to be done. The Clean up Brit is a solution that is era accurate and wouldnt require alot of hours to implement again. If this isn't something that the admin is willing to bend on then I throw the ball back into your court. Make another way.
i love how we don't go of what people remember ... "chaos order " you mean factions derp!

i for one am glad that staff is staying firm on young player status + tickets and CUB.

ps Eww silver system :)
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Anon Emous wrote:El Horno.....LAME. As for the rest. If the admin is going to be firm on this one you need to create another way to get items like Neon dyes, Bless Deeds, Furni dye Tubs, and Monster statues other than the silver system. To be honest the silver system isn't accurate nor is it very practical. The only time I remember silver was for the chaos order battles being given out for killing players with more kills then you. Which as far as I know does not have anything to do with the silver system. The current event driven system is both lame and time consuming. At the current rates I have read of 20-25 new silver a day it would take a person a lifetime of work to acquire enough silver to buy anything of value. I have been doing the scavenger hunt to try to become a part of the silver system and to be honest the work is not even close to the reward. So for the people here who dont want to spend all their time working and would rather play the game and enjoy it something new needs to be done. The Clean up Brit is a solution that is era accurate and wouldnt require alot of hours to implement again. If this isn't something that the admin is willing to bend on then I throw the ball back into your court. Make another way.
While I agree that the silver system isn't an accurate system, this doesn't mean that we can replace it with another inaccurate type of system. Also, I do not agree with the idea that all of these items should be accessible to all players at all times. The fact is that on OSI servers, there were many items that were available just one time, and no more than that.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

Sorry El horno. I should have handled that a bit better. What I mean to say is that I dont agree. Kaivan I am not saying to create another inaccurate system. I am simply saying that there are things that existed back then that could be used to implement a better more accurate system then what is currently in place. I apologize for my memory. When you have played a game as long as I have things kinda get scrambled together. However, as I have said before the topics I have brought up are completely accurate. Admin doesn't have to use them exactly the same way. I am beating a dead horse. I have said my peace. Take it or leave it.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

CuB turned the server into a fancy shirt making fest. I had all three accounts with tailors running 24/7. I spent a lot of money on bolts of cloth, but I ended up going around to all the farms to gather cotton and wool. Super lame and boring trying to get more and more points. I forgot about my stabled nightmares and they all vanished because I was too busy making shirts. Some people found out that heating stands gave huge amounts of points and were cashing in on that for the first day or few hours before it was changed.
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

if new player tickets didnt come out till after ren then can someone explain to me where ranger armor came from?

Higler

Post by Higler »

Anon Emous wrote:if new player tickets didnt come out till after ren then can someone explain to me where ranger armor came from?
Certainly can explain here and clear up a few things, there were no new player tickets in this timeframe new player tickets came out after UO:R plain and simple i can't remember exactly when as I never dealt with them. Ranger armor was originaly put in in Dec. of 98 with your holiday ticket that acted similar to new player tickets, you could combine them with another matching ticket and choose a reward, one of the choices was a random piece of ranger armor. This was also the first time you could actually obtain a black dye tub through the same method without grabbing the deceit spawn or using coal to make one from the previos 97 christmas.
There were no weapon abilities that you could choose in this era but a select few weapons did have a chance to cause a special affect, unfortunately I hate to say this but to be correct a halbred was one of them, I would never want to play with the agony of invis hally mages again but it is era accurate as it was not corrected until uo:r. on a good side other weapons did have the same affect a short or long spear could paralyze your target and wrestling could disarm your target. I loved stealing someones blessed vanq weapons they held so dear and started over using with my wrestle theife (when you saw the weapon drop from disarm hit your steal last object macro to steal it between their hands and bag) this was around clean up brit time frame and prior to uo:r and in the time era i think this shard is going for. Not saying these things should be added like I said i never want the nightmare of invis hally mages again but it is accurate to this era.
The clean up brit was one of the best "events" OSI had in this era, from what I'm reading you guys may have already had one or more of these events. It should never be a constant ongoing event but maybe a once a year thing for week or two in spring (spring cleaning) could be in order so that people that have just come to the server even in time have a chance to benefit from this system as well (like myself yes). Just an idea there, uo only ever had one so only having one wouldn't be non era accurate, but this server will not be ever changing as OSI was it will stay in the same era indefinently from what I understand so we have to take that into account.
For those of you who do not know you can read my other post to get my background and where my knowledge comes from as I am new here and you may not yet recognize my name, while others might =)

The ranger armor information can also be found here if you have any doubts still
http://uo.stratics.com/content/basics/i ... iday.shtml

While some information may be harder to find, exact accurate information is out there. Guys with even a little research one can find almost anything on the internet, even old school uo information.
"All Kill = No Skill Newb!" random angry kid

"Damn DP dex monkey, I couldn't heal!" captain obvious, another angry kid

"Damn garbage spam me harm! learn new spell" Courage of Chessapeak

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

Please refer to the uo website listed below. While I do agree with you ranger armor was first a Christmas reward. It was also part of the young player ticket reward where it really started to catch on. I offer this as evidence to my debate. This is can be found on the official UO website under the updates and patches list. http://update.uo.com/design_25.html. This also answers some questions about young player status. Please read. Its a little over halfway down the page. There is a whole segment on young players. The patch was release august of 1999. You can take note of the date this was announced in the top right hand of the page to authenticate. I swear I am not a nut job.

Higler

Post by Higler »

I don't see anywhere on said link it says what rewards were available when, Ranger might have been available through the young player tickets after christmas of 98. I was simply stating where ranger armor actually came from first. Neither of my account were ever available for new player status and both were open christmas/new years time of 97/98 so as i said on this post or another i never dealth with new player tickets and don't know much about them other than when they started appearing in 99 sometime. Best of luck to you and if this does get changed I hope it is soon as I have yet to receive a young player ticket but I wouldn't mind a shot at a rare while im still new to the server =)
"All Kill = No Skill Newb!" random angry kid

"Damn DP dex monkey, I couldn't heal!" captain obvious, another angry kid

"Damn garbage spam me harm! learn new spell" Courage of Chessapeak

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

Higler I wasn't addressing that to you. In previous post the Admin said that young player tickets came out after ren. The link I provided clearly shows that they were available before the target date provided. As for the weapons special abilities I haven't found any website to substantiate my claim. If you could find one Higler please list it. I know they started trying things out in patches before the release of ren in 2000 but the Admins arguement is that the patches didn't occur before the shards target date of Nov 99.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Just to clear up a few things, young player tickets were indeed available during 1999. The original rewards list included the following:
  • A sextant.
  • A hair restyle deed.
  • A random ranger armor piece.
  • A fireworks wand.
In August of 2000, the ticket rewards were slightly revised, removing ranger armor and replacing it with a spellbook containing the first 4 circles.

Now, regarding this information and the mandate for accuracy, we have largely steered clear of the young player system due to the ease of abuse for the system. Specifically, if any new accounts are given young status as they were on OSI servers, this would do nothing but encourage the majority of players to find any and every avenue to abuse the ability to create free accounts on UOSA. This is not a healthy result, and squarely places most if not all of the function of the young player system in the exceptions to era accuracy, simply for the purpose of maintaining a functional server.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Kaivan wrote:While I agree that the silver system isn't an accurate system, this doesn't mean that we can replace it with another inaccurate type of system.
I see you posting this same line a lot, but you guys are still making NEA changes to the server.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Anon Emous

Post by Anon Emous »

Good point Kaivan, but are there not limits already in place that prevent a person from having more then 3 accounts? As for the young player status I don't think it would hurt. That gives a new player 7 days to get some skill before the PKs rap them. As to preventing abuse well for one people will always find a way to abuse anything. I mean people are right now exploiting the many extra char slots by using them to harvest newbie items. A way you could slow them down is do like the Christmas tickets 1 per account.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Sandro wrote:
Kaivan wrote:While I agree that the silver system isn't an accurate system, this doesn't mean that we can replace it with another inaccurate type of system.
I see you posting this same line a lot, but you guys are still making NEA changes to the server.
Aside from the ones that are intentional inaccuracies to maintain functionality, I'm not sure of any mechanics that are being pushed that are intentionally inaccurate (this does not include the change to house signs, which I was not even aware was done, and do not agree with).
Anon Emous wrote:Good point Kaivan, but are there not limits already in place that prevent a person from having more then 3 accounts? As for the young player status I don't think it would hurt. That gives a new player 7 days to get some skill before the PKs rap them. As to preventing abuse well for one people will always find a way to abuse anything. I mean people are right now exploiting the many extra char slots by using them to harvest newbie items. A way you could slow them down is do like the Christmas tickets 1 per account.
There are limits that prevent more than a certain number of accounts from being created from any one given IP, but the reality is that a given house does not keep the same IP for an indefinite period of time. Combine this with the fact that any reasonably knowledgeable person can change their IP very quickly, or use a proxy, and the number of accounts that a person can create is significantly higher. Combine this with access to free items that are worth in-game gold, and with the ability to play under a different set of rules, and these realities about IPs produce an environment that encourages account abuse.