Guide: GMing Meditation Liquor Style (Cheap & < 24 Hours)

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
ONEmortal

Guide: GMing Meditation Liquor Style (Cheap & < 24 Hours)

Post by ONEmortal »

Method confirmed working as of Patch 144 (9/30/11) on UOSA
Guide Updated: February 15, 2012

I hope this can help some people. It is really sad when I see so many struggling to GM this widely used skill. The worst part is so many people try to convince even me that liquor doesn't work. I am here to put these claims to rest, and give people a real way of GMing this skill that doesn't involve signing your life away to a bulk reg vendor.

What this guide is: A macro and an explanation.
What this guide isn't: A tutorial. I will help how I can, but please do not expect more than what is in this post.

What You Will Need

1. Around 125 bottles of Liquor. Purchased from Taverns, Provisioners, and Inns.
2. Plain leather suit. Total AR = 13

ImageImage

The Macro You Will Use

Code: Select all

If ( Mana >= X )
Double Click (bottle of liquor(099B))
Wait for Target
Exec: Target Self
Pause 20.00sec
Else
UseSkill Meditation
Say: GM
Pause 10.50sec
End If
(120 - Current Meditation Skill) = X
  • @30, X = 90
    @35, X = 85
    @40, X = 80
    @45, X = 75
    @50, X = 70
    @55, X = 65
    @60, X = 60
    @65, X = 55
    @70, X = 50
    @75, X = 45
    @80, X = 40
    @85, X = 35
    @90, X = 30
    @95, X = 25
2/15/12 NOTE: A couple of users have reported similar issues already since I notated this post. As a result I highly recommend that when you are nearing GM to not lower your value of X below 30. If you wish, 35. I personally feel that 30 is a good point, but some users may feel like testing their values at 35 and report their findings. This is encouraged! The more information we have the more efficient we can GM the skill. Thank you and good luck!

2/13/12 NOTE: During a recent run using this method it seems that when you are nearing GM (85+), if you leave your value of X at 30 or 35 you will see system message Inebriation is not conductive to meditation much less as opposed to lowering the value of X all the way to 25 as the list above indicates. As more people test this and report their findings I will consider updating the list above to reflect this.

An Explanation of Why This Works

To understand why this works we must first understand what actually was patched. You cannot actively meditate while drunk in the game. This is the change that was made. However, you can still use Liquor to raise meditation. Sounds like an oxymoron, right?

The issue is that you cannot be drunk. It takes more than one drink to become drunk in UO and witness the dreaded system message: Inebriation is not conductive to meditation. The way we prevent this is by our use of action-cancelling an active meditation, and the suit of armor. Combined, these two aspects force your passive meditation rate to be slow enough that the macro will not drink too much and you will see gains all the way to GM. If you were to train meditation and manually control your alcohol intake you could achieve the same results. However, this is an unattended macro and as such it needs to take care of itself.

Questions? Concerns? Have fun!

- - -

Q: Can I use Ale? Booze is booze right?
I have not used Ale. I do not believe Ale works the same because it seems to me that you must drink way more of it to achieve the same effect.

Q: Why not use 17 AR? The Wiki says you can actively meditate with a suit up to 17 AR.
Because this works. If someone wants to test a 17 AR suit and report their findings feel free.

Q: Why go through all this trouble? Just use a full suit of plate or a studded tunic!
:lol:

Q: Why do I still see the too drunk message sometimes?
Because it's impossible to avoid it entirely. This method avoids it probably 90%. If you need to start your macro over from a fresh mana pool, manually drink liquor until your mana is below your current value of X, then play the macro. This will help avoid the issue from the beginning. Don't get me wrong, our macro will correct itself overtime, but this will take longer.
Last edited by ONEmortal on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:43 am, edited 7 times in total.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Guide: GMing Meditation Liquor Style (Cheap & < 24 Hours

Post by Light Shade »

This still does work. I've verified it and used it myself many times after the patch.

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

I thought this only works to the high eighties. You've actually gm'd this way?
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Malaikat wrote:I thought this only works to the high eighties. You've actually gm'd this way?
Yes. Several times.

Just went from 93.9 - 94.6 since posting my original response. I was just making sure there wasn't a stealth patch I was unaware of. It still works.

-L/S

a_llama

Post by a_llama »

Aye it works. Im also gaining off it right now. Good post and thanks for the info

ONEmortal

Post by ONEmortal »

a_llama wrote:Aye it works. Im also gaining off it right now. Good post and thanks for the info
No worries. Glad to hear it.
Malaikat wrote:I thought this only works to the high eighties. You've actually gm'd this way?
Yep! The first picture is a self-photo. :D

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

GM'd Meditation overnight just to make sure it is still working.

-L/S

ONEmortal

Post by ONEmortal »

Light Shade wrote:GM'd Meditation overnight just to make sure it is still working.

-L/S
Thank you for further reassurance to people that this is a legit way. I appreciate you taking the time to post confirmation.

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

Oh nice!

Just went from 97.0 to 97.1 within like 2 minutes of setting this macro.

I have a tendency of GMing magery before meditation on my utility characters and never bothered to deliberately force it up any other way.

Thanks for this guide!
Catskills 97-99

randale

Post by randale »

Q: Why go through all this trouble? Just use a full suit of plate or a studded tunic!
In case you're wondering. You can not meditate at all in full plate. It will always fail, you'll get a message saying that you can't meditate (paraphrased here, that's what it means) And, the fact that your mana will not fall at all, because drinking the liquor lowers your mana, medding when at full mana will not get you any gains.

ONEmortal

Post by ONEmortal »

randale wrote:
In case you're wondering. You can not meditate at all in full plate. It will always fail, you'll get a message saying that you can't meditate (paraphrased here, that's what it means) And, the fact that your mana will not fall at all, because drinking the liquor lowers your mana, medding when at full mana will not get you any gains.
Hence the :lol: when people ask "Why go through all this trouble? Just use a full suit of plate or a studded tunic!"

You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many people have made those suggestions.

Byokii

Post by Byokii »

Just used this method to go from 30-gm in 4 nights. Thanks!

Prob cost me like 700 gold total, thats freaking bad-ass for a gm skill.

ONEmortal

Post by ONEmortal »

Byokii wrote:Just used this method to go from 30-gm in 4 nights. Thanks!

Prob cost me like 700 gold total, thats freaking bad-ass for a gm skill.
Awesome! Yeah that is a pretty cheap rate for GM. Also makes macroing Magery (or Inscription) 10x easier now. Good luck!

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

I vote this guide best new guide of 2012!
Catskills 97-99

randale

Post by randale »

ONEmortal wrote:
randale wrote:
Hence the :lol: when people ask "Why go through all this trouble? Just use a full suit of plate or a studded tunic!"

You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many people have made those suggestions.
That clarification wasn't for you actually. I was for anyone who wondered why it wouldn't work Though, I'm wondering if you're in full plate and drunk which message will you get?

Return to “Guides”