Windows XP
40%
Windows 7
60%

Total votes: 15

Atraxi

Windows 7 vs XP **Poll**

Post by Atraxi »

So, I'm considering wiping my computer, getting rid of XP and starting over with Windows 7. Before I do, I wanted to get some outside opinions about it.

The vast majority of what I do with my computer is UO, web browsing, and writing. I don't do much heavy gaming, other than UO.

Should I stick with XP, or is Windows 7 better?

Are there known issues with Win7 and UO? If so, are they small issues that can be fixed by changing some settings here and there or are they bigger issues that might influence my decision to go to 7?

Has anyone started using 7, then said "to Hell with this" and gone back to XP?

*edit* Added a poll
Last edited by Atraxi on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

Lazydaze

Re: Windows 7 vs XP

Post by Lazydaze »

7 works well for me.

SteelReserve

Re: Windows 7 vs XP **Poll**

Post by SteelReserve »

Anything but Vista is great imo. 8)

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Steel Reserve wrote:Anything but Vista is great imo. 8)
Thanks, Steel, but that really doesn't help...like, at all. I know Vista sucks. That's why I'm still at XP.

SteelReserve

Post by SteelReserve »

Atraxi wrote:Thanks, Steel, but that really doesn't help...like, at all. I know Vista sucks. That's why I'm still at XP.
Lol. Well i actually installed Win 7 last night Since i was never able to get my XP sound drivers working. just now waking up finish downloading everything I used to have. but so far its working great. ill let u know if i hit any snags today.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Steel Reserve wrote:
Atraxi wrote:Thanks, Steel, but that really doesn't help...like, at all. I know Vista sucks. That's why I'm still at XP.
Lol. Well i actually installed Win 7 last night Since i was never able to get my XP sound drivers working. just now waking up finish downloading everything I used to have. but so far its working great. ill let u know if i hit any snags today.
Awesome. That would help. Thanks.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

If your computer has less than 2GB memory stick with XP. Otherwise I recommend to upgrade to Windows 7.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Sheer Luck

Post by Sheer Luck »

Win7 can be scary fast if using a 64 bit version, but ya need to have over 4 Gigs RAM and Quad-cores. If you are like me and still dual-core, I'd stick with 32 bit XP.
You see: a character crafted by Sheer Luck

[23:55]<Soma> I know very well of Abbott's ways
[23:56]<Soma> He may be a pedophile, but he's a damn good smith

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

I recommend sticking with Windows XP Pro as since I have upgraded to Windows 7 I have had nothing but issues with playing Ultima Online. Its pretty much a constant de-sync with me since upgrading. I never had the issues prior to installing Windows 7 and will be rolling back shortly...when I have the time to do a fresh wipe on my computer.

PvP and even some fast-paced PvM is virtually unplayable for me on Windows 7.

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

Light Shade wrote:I recommend sticking with Windows XP Pro as since I have upgraded to Windows 7 I have had nothing but issues with playing Ultima Online. Its pretty much a constant de-sync with me since upgrading. I never had the issues prior to installing Windows 7 and will be rolling back shortly...when I have the time to do a fresh wipe on my computer.

PvP and even some fast-paced PvM is virtually unplayable for me on Windows 7.

-L/S
Light if you are about to wipe your computer can I make a request. There was recently a post in support (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=37099) This looked to me very interesting with our dysync issues. If you have time please before you do the wipe download install and test it out see if it has any impact on your issues. I do not desync so i can not test nor would I ask others to install unknown software (exp. software that altered how windows functions) if they were not planning a wipe. But this seems like it might be a perfect time to test this software out and see if I has any impact of our desync'ing issues.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

Inda

Post by Inda »

don't forget to run razor in windows xp compatibility mode, fixes all the problems i had with uo on win 7.

honestly dude when I see a computer running XP it reminds me of how I looked at windows 98 after XP came out...it's freaking ghetto

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

Inda wrote:don't forget to run razor in windows xp compatibility mode, fixes all the problems i had with uo on win 7.

honestly dude when I see a computer running XP it reminds me of how I looked at windows 98 after XP came out...it's freaking ghetto
Sadly that has not fixed everyone problems when upgrading.

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

SteelReserve

Post by SteelReserve »

My System is a AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 3800+ w. 3 gig of ram running the 32bit operating system. Im still having the underlying issue from my xp format, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37001 , but other than that I am liking Win7 better than xp. Everything seems Smoother. and Uo seems to run a tad bit better imo.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

I am not saying that Windows 7 is a bad operating system by itself, but if you're trying to work on older things it may not be best for you. As it is, there is certain development work that I still do on the XP Pro machine because it is simply more stable for it.

As I have already told Chaos...I have tried latency tweaks...custom registry edits...stripping Windows 7 of unnecessary services...etc...and it has made Windows 7 by itself run faster. Unfortunately, it has done nothing for my UO Gameplay and it hasn't budged my ping a bit...but my ping was already pretty good.

See here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=36698

I am glad that other people have had no problems with this, unfortunately my machine seems to be quite different. I working on trying a few more registry tweaks dealing with latency and other things along those lines, but then I will be wiping this machine and re-installing XP Pro on it. I have read through every post in our forums and in other gaming forums about what to try. I am pretty sure I am about out of things to try. I appreciate all the help, though.

My experience, though, is this....Windows 7 is horrible for playing UO. I have never had any real issues with XP Pro...even on the exact same machine before I upgraded to Windows 7. I would, personally, never use Windows 7 for a UO Gaming Machine from what I have experienced.

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro