Gm parry in 45 minutes or less

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Gm parry in 45 minutes or less

Post by Kabal »

I just stood next to them, entered war mode drank a purple potion and tabbed out after the started attacking.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

kevin-theidocghost
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kevin-theidocghost »

join a C/O guild grab a bunch of free shield !
Timelord wrote:Every single person in the game is out to kill you, loot you and take everything you own at any time.
http://www.twitch.tv/imr4350/

BlackSteve

Post by BlackSteve »

I see no other threads on this subject, but I think that the method is now pretty broken.

Using 30 cats/rats/rabbits, in 10 minutes I gained from 31.4 to 33.2 (+1.8). That's been pretty inconsistent since I bought up to around 25 skill from a trainer; I only just thought to actually time it now. And I'd get a longer sample set, but these critters are kicking my ASS... in that 10 minutes I tore through a plate chest, 3 bone chests (I ran out of plate; I figured I'd need 10 to get GM) and 120 bandages.

Assuming it continued at exactly this rate, GMing the skill would take:
- 6 hours (of my undivided attention since it's so easy to die)
- 4.5k aids
- around 30 plate chests

Of course, the skill curve is certain to become steeper at higher skill levels, so I'm just swagging that it'd be more like a month of my friggin free time. Fuck that noise.

So.... am I just doing something wrong, or has the skill changed? Maybe now it's attached to damage like it was on OSI (as mentioned earlier in the thread)?

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

I used this method about a year ago and it was really quick. Took about 30 mins I believe. Not sure if something has changed, but it worked like a charm back then. Don't recall exactly how much armor I went through but I bought several sets of NPC grade plate.

BlackSteve

Post by BlackSteve »

I figured it out!

An earlier poster suggested spamming attacking some nearby, non-cat (a pet, or maybe another person) so that you don't kill the cats. I found that when I *stopped* doing this, my gains immediately sped up dramatically.

I also switched between bucklers and metal kite shields; it might be my imagination, but I think the bucklers seemed to gain a little faster.

I ended up GMing it in a little over an hour from the low 30s, using ~20 cats, once I made these changes.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

BlackSteve wrote:I figured it out!

An earlier poster suggested spamming attacking some nearby, non-cat (a pet, or maybe another person) so that you don't kill the cats. I found that when I *stopped* doing this, my gains immediately sped up dramatically.

I also switched between bucklers and metal kite shields; it might be my imagination, but I think the bucklers seemed to gain a little faster.

I ended up GMing it in a little over an hour from the low 30s, using ~20 cats, once I made these changes.
It's your imagination.

Shield type has no effect, so technically it's best to use the highest AR shield. But when I did this I found bucklers to be more cost effective.

Mulahey

Post by Mulahey »

I GMd parry yesterday on my dexxer. All I have used were two cats, a bull and another char for healing (the one I used is only at 50ish but was more or less sufficient). It took 2 hours and 57 minutes to GM from 30ish parry that I trained/bought from NPC first. No fancy setups, tables and whatnot. I just had to keep an eye on it as my healer could not be fully trusted to keep the parrying char from dying to the ferocious cats. I would aggro the cats one at a time and aggro the bull last and I would run a bit off when the healer would not deliver. Thats it! A cheap method as I did not even use armour when it broke towards the end. Cheers.

Werther: "Better die logged in than to never have logged in."

Kriav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kriav »

Why can't you hire a fighter and just have a shield?? just have someone heal you??

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

Kriav wrote:Why can't you hire a fighter and just have a shield?? just have someone heal you??
You are right Kriav. Though I think it will take you much longer.
Not to mention, the OP was in '09. Server was a baby back then and adding to the guides was important.
If you read on in the thread you will see the OP was updated as others used the idea. I believe using many
animals increases the hits you will take vs a lone fighters hits.
Personally I don't think parry is that widely used of a skill. Poisoning/dexer prolly would benefit from it, but there
aren't many.

You really dug this one up didn't you? The previous post was 3 yrs old...lol

Good luck with training!
Cheers
WiseOne wrote:I don't log on often, but when I do, I shop at Trinny Stone Vendors!
Trinny Stone Vendors
@Trinsic Moongate/Est. 6-2-12