Plague strikes Britainnian stables!

News and Announcements
Faust

Re: Plague strikes Britainnian stables!

Post by Faust »

WiseOne wrote:Well if you want to go that far then technically there were no free shards back then so this whole shard is not era accurate, maybe we should all pack up and leave.

Or maybe people should stop whining and enjoy the fact Derick and staff are taking the time to organize fun events for us so people can actually enjoy playing the game instead of farming the same old spots, macro reagent buying and so on.
Actually, there was free shards back then.
Boondock_Saint wrote:It's a shard event to ruin era accuracy. But whatever.
I don't see the correlation that this ruins era accuracy. Staff events have nothing to do with accuracy. If the staff wants to run an event with a plague on stable pets that is their choice just like the choices that OSI management made back then. We are not emulating any specific shard and only the game mechanics that existed during the time frame and era at that time. The staff here choosing their style of events in what ever shape or form is completely era accurate. This shard does not aim to replicate pyschological patterns of the OSI staff during this time period.

rwuser

Post by rwuser »

A server wipe would only delay the re-assertion of what you notice to be the problems of this shard, Suspect.

I know how you feel, I myself would like an entire re-do of the shard, with accuracy based on the demo server + patch notes from that date to UOSA date, 1 account per person, and no supported automated programs/tree hacks.

But this is where we are today, this is where it is, if you really want to help the shard; get in there and play like you really mean it!

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

edit: way off topic

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

I don't mind it since all I have are dragons in my spots. I gave away like over half of my dragons and ww's to begin with since it really is just a money sink and a waste of spots that someone else can have. Might as well just make it unlimited lol..

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Faust wrote: Actually, there was free shards back then.

There WERE free shards back then.

Were there really? Back in 99? I genuinely did not know but thank you for filling me in.

Cheers

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

rwuser wrote:Do we know where this vile spirit of destruction came from? Did it source from the stables themselves or the world outside?
I think over-crowding was the culprit.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

WiseOne wrote:
Faust wrote: Actually, there was free shards back then.

There WERE free shards back then.

Were there really? Back in 99? I genuinely did not know but thank you for filling me in.

Cheers
Sphere and UOX were the emulation software of the early days back then that started getting popular in '98 around the time the Abyss shard was frequently hitting its capacity limits.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

Boondock_Saint wrote:It's a shard event to ruin era accuracy. But whatever.
If you're crying because you had a bunch of stable slots parked with useless animals, then just remember that people pulling those type of moves would most likely get jailed by GMs on OSI.

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

Derricks skill in legitamacy has increased by .1 percent. Keep up the good work!

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

Unfortunately, this drastic effect did nothing to alleviate the "stables are full" problem. A week after all stabled pets are killed off, stables are once again full, meaning this is really griefers at work taking up all the stable slots with bunnies. This did nothing but kill off a few old dragons that I've had since I started on the shard and the first nightmare I tamed, big losses for me considering how old they were that I've kept them alive all this time.

I'd have maybe been ok with losing all my dragons and nightmares if it fixed the problem, but it obviously didn't.

Unless you plan on purging all stables weekly?

If you're going to kill off everything, I'd rather go without shard accuracy and put a limit on the number of stabled pets each player can have. For a player who is strictly a tamer, this drastic reaction just ruined the game for them.

kevin-theidocghost
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kevin-theidocghost »

Everyone wants more events then when derrick makes one for us we all nit pick at it can we just say thank you derrick and stop the hate

much love derrick your doing a great job id say just ban the trolls but well we are all trolls

Pip

Post by Pip »

kevin-theidocghost wrote:Everyone wants more events then when derrick makes one for us we all nit pick at it can we just say thank you derrick and stop the hate

much love derrick your doing a great job id say just ban the trolls but well we are all trolls

^
|
|
|

This

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Ripplinger wrote:If you're going to kill off everything, I'd rather go without shard accuracy and put a limit on the number of stabled pets each player can have. For a player who is strictly a tamer, this drastic reaction just ruined the game for them.
We have not and will not delete any player pets intentionally. Some player pets were lost unintentionally due to the unexpected death of some stablemaster shortly after the patch, as described in bug reports and the patch note updates.

The natural attrition of player pets has been occurring since the patch, and it remains true that the majority of the pets in stables are not cats and dogs and rats and the like. We expect that the pets stabled will continue to decrease into sane levels; and as the transition progresses a few more stable masters will be hired.

There is not yet any indication that an era accurate stable system will not be viable in the end, but this was not intended to be an overnight fix either. The only overnight fix would likely have had to include the deletion of stabled pets which I would strongly oppose as a fair solution.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Ripplinger

Post by Ripplinger »

Derrick wrote:We have not and will not delete any player pets intentionally. Some player pets were lost unintentionally due to the unexpected death of some stablemaster shortly after the patch, as described in bug reports and the patch note updates.

The natural attrition of player pets has been occurring since the patch, and it remains true that the majority of the pets in stables are not cats and dogs and rats and the like. We expect that the pets stabled will continue to decrease into sane levels; and as the transition progresses a few more stable masters will be hired.
I really don't see the difference between deleting pets intentionally or having an "event" do it for you. End result whether you intentionally deleted them or had a plague kill them off is the same to a pure tamer... no pets, and no safe way to keep them (not that I'd trust again anyway). I had dragons and nightmares across 3 stables in Minoc, Skara Brae and Papua, and I lost every one of them this week. The stable masters I used were still in place, they had the same names at least.

And the fact that the stables are filled again within a week of the plague killing everything off tells me this didn't alleviate the problem at all as I said. I seriously doubt enough people even had enough time to tame enough big pets to fill stables in a week considering the size of the shard.

I do appreciate the shard and all the work you've done on it, and generally love it here, please don't take this criticism as anything more than it is about this one issue. But this just seemed like a wrong solution to a constant problem that isn't going away and it honestly has killed the game for me.

Sure, I can go tame a few more dragons, but where would I put them? And there's no way I'm paying anyone to "buy" a stable slot from them.

LudKrud

Post by LudKrud »

You arent looking at this like it happened......Derrick didnt just "delete" your pets.There were some low lvl pets that were deleted yes but there was a whole new stabling system put in place as well.

To say that he deleted pets and this didnt fix everything is just a retarded thing to say.Im willing to bet that I lost more spots and pets than you did,but as long as a solution is being worked for what is there to whine about.......

I got an idea,code a perfect system for a t2a shard that makes the entire playerbase AND the owner happy.If you cant do that then please just let the man work....