how important is magery on a non-mage?

Moderator: Support Moderators

ernesthemingway

how important is magery on a non-mage?

Post by ernesthemingway »

So I'm trying to figure out some templates on some chars that I have pretty much finished, but I'm not a huge fan of magery because I find keeping reagents to be an extreme hassle and I like my character to be able to function without spending too much each time I die(plus buying from vendors is a pain, since other people always buy out at least one reg). So for example I have a 'pure warrior' or 'dexxer' maybe who has:
-swords
-tactics
-anatomy
-healing
-parrying
-resist

and for the final slot I was think 30/35 magery for recall scrolls, and 70 archery. Do you think that's a waste for archery? Im thinking mostly PvM but I don't want to be totally defenseless in a PvP situation. Besides paralyze or something, I can't see how useful magery would be in PvM, but I definitely see how its almost necessary for PvP since your opponent is always running around.

Anyway, basically I notice that virtually ever template includes GM magery, and I'm wondering what the real uses are for that.

Missy B

Re: how important is magery on a non-mage?

Post by Missy B »

instead of archery, you could include 50 hiding with 50 magery. archery misses a lot even with GM.

Nefarity

Post by Nefarity »

I'm new on this server myself, but I played T2A back in the days. Like most other people, that is the reason I started playing here.

So anyway, I guess as a dexxer you don't really "need" 100 magery, but from my experience it's a great help to be able to cast at least a greater heal fluently in PvP. That means you should have around ~70 magery. If you're going that far you might as well go all the way to 100 and get some utility along the way. Magic Reflect, Gate(if you have 40+ int), Paralyze, Invisibility, Reveal, Mark, etc.

There's arguments to go lower of course, like 35 for example and confining yourself to using recall scrolls and only casting stuff like weaken/harm/heal in PvP. But personally I think the advantages of having 100 magery outweigh having 35magery and another skill at 65.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Although I agree that 35 is not enough magery, I would not necessarily take it all the way to GM. 70.1 shown allows you to not miss 4th circles (recalls), and still heals pretty good on GHeals. You won't have enough INT for 7th & 8th circle spells anyway, so no use going over that. You can use the other 30+ shown on tracking, which allows you to track anyone on your screen and a couple of tiles beyond.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

McSchnurke

Post by McSchnurke »

72 magery is another good milestone as it allows you entrance to Wind.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

< :arrow: >
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Sat May 12, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Or at least have enough taming to have a tamed frenzied ostard follow you...you know mount stamina and all.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Return to “New Player Help”