What happened to sea serpent spawn?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

What happened to sea serpent spawn?

Post by son »

It seems like it has been dramatically reduced, if so, why?
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: What happened to sea serpent spawn?

Post by Flash Hardstar »

I'm confused, the spawn....? or the rate at which they are fished up?
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The rate at which serpents are fished up on failure was adjusted slightly. This has no effect on the pulling up of "a bottle, with a message in it" or "a sodden piece of parchment"

DoomCraft

Post by DoomCraft »

Is this how fishing will be from now on?

Any plans on pulling mibs up without serpents?

Will fishing become T2A accurate or will it remain nerfed as it is now?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

With respect to the loot from MIBs, the loot is quite accurate to the era, as well as the frequency of MIB's being pulled up (at a rate of about 3 per hour). The only thing that can be considered "out of era" due to the extremely late introduction, is the MIB and treasure map on sea serpents for fishing. The reasons for fishing being handled in this manner comes from the fact that if we were to go with the earlier version of fishing, GM fisherman would never pull up sea serpents for a failed fishing attempt. As a result, we would be opening the doors for macroers of all sorts to abuse fishing to the highest degree. This would be an added stress for us because we would have to keep watch for people who AFK macro fishing with the intent of pulling up MIBs as well as the usual AFK macroers. Given the fact that we are already stretched fairly thin, requiring us to keep watch for people who are AFK macroing fishing would make it far more difficult for us to continue with our other tasks and projects. Finally, lets not forget that in requiring us to watch for AFK fishers, we would effectively need to watch the entire sea, because the reality is that AFK macroers are more than inclined to use EasyUO or complex Razor macros to AFK fish in difficult to patrol areas.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

DoomCraft

Post by DoomCraft »

Are you able to post any 98-99 OSI specifications as to the rate in which the MIB spawns were 3 an hour, along with the loot that was taken from the chests pulled up?

Or do you have a fact sheet that you pulled this from somewhere?

I seem to remember mibs being a little easier to pull up during this era (As i've averaged maybe 2 per hour here) - I also distinctively remember mib chest loot being better than this. The gold is era accurate as is most of the chest, however the weapon rate was higher. I've done close to 100 mibs already and so far all i've pulled out is 2 cheap vanq axes.

Publish 22 increased mib/chest loot even farther, which pushed a lot of fishermen into one of the richest professions in the game. (Which was in 1999) However, I think me and a lot of fishermen are just looking to keep our profession reasonable.

What I see is the Staff trying to find a way to control people from abusing fishing of macroing AFK. Because it is a difficult task to constantly patrol players who are macroing, the time it takes to confirm that they are macroing and keeping it from getting out of hand, the Staff in respect has Changed the accuracy of this profession to ease their burden on constant attention to one thing. I understand and respect that.

However, if that is how it's going to be something for fishing should be changed. Either allow AFK macroing with the MIB loot nerfed as it is. OR if AFK macroing is not allowed, step up the loot a bit so that fishermen who DO obey those rules will be able to play the game as it was intended for this era. (You may have to step up police work, but i've already seen 2 gm's checking on me in the short time i've been here.)

Hopefully the Staff will recognize that, while it sounds like I am bitching about this, i'm trying to keep it civil. I want to playing here, because of something I saw on the front page.

"We believe that "proper" gameplay can only be achieved by taking the era as a whole and accept it for what it was. Tampering with the era in hope of achieving balance is not something that we will do, nor do we believe is achievable across all playstyles."

I think a lot of players are looking and hoping for a server to commit to that statement right there. It's why we are really pushing for accuracy in every area. Personally I don't think it's possible. However, there is always hope and so long as this server continuously looks for ways to get as close as possible, i'll be happy.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We honestly are trying to get as close as we can within era, and would certainly address the loot issues if we found better information. The loot on a MiB is a level 1 to 3 treasure chest, and the treasure chest data is taken right from era stratics. If there's evidence that what's currently dropping is incorrect we'll certainly work to get it right.

As far as the serps coming up with maps and SoS's what was started above is our reason, as it existed both ways in era we did make a choice here, we try implement anything that would conflict with another system in a way that is consistent with the other thing. The combat and spell system is an example of this. We felt that the serpents with fishing was not in conflict with anything else so we made the choice to have the mib's spawn on serps.

I'm not entirely opposed to changing that, as some good points have been raised in another fishing thread. But i do belive that we are within reasonable bounds of era accuracy either way. We're not going to be able to pin UOSA down to any ruleset that existed on OSI at a particular day in 1999, but we intend all systems to be accurate to the era, and for them to be consistent with one another.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

If you are quite worried about afk macroing, why did you nerf the sea serpent spawn rate? I have yet to reach gm fishing, but I was making respectable profit from killing the sea serps. It seems like the spawn rate got reduced by more than 50%!

Also Doomcraft made some great points, I doubt I will be fishing anymore, it generates little profit :(
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS