Patch 148 - Aug 3 2012 - Housing & spells, NCD's...

Information on the latest Server Patches
Telamon

Re: Patch 148 - Aug 3 2012 - Housing & spells, NCD's...

Post by Telamon »

Brules wrote:You could cast BS's in houses during the era, but I am not sure if it was patched out - we would cast BS's in locked in areas to work up resist and parry.
I do remember this also, this was the best way to train Archery. I'm looking through my pictures to see if I can find proof of this.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I don't know about EV's, but I can say that I did work up parry with a Blade Spirit inside a house shortly after the T2A era. We used to wait for Power Hour and do this.

Brules

Post by Brules »

Si. All pets could be summoned as well.

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

Telamon wrote:
Brules wrote:You could cast BS's in houses during the era, but I am not sure if it was patched out - we would cast BS's in locked in areas to work up resist and parry.
I do remember this also, this was the best way to train Archery. I'm looking through my pictures to see if I can find proof of this.
i remember having to do this in boxes outside my house.
not sure of the time line but you could not cast blades and evs targeting the floor inside the houses.

i remember using the blade thing and it was actually now that i think about it.. the blade was cast off the tower wing to below would reach up and hit you from the ground to the tower wing lol

when i first came here i thought it was an error when someone eved the roof of my tower.... it doesn't work on the demo.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

malice-tg wrote:i remember using the blade thing and it was actually now that i think about it.. the blade was cast off the tower wing to below would reach up and hit you from the ground to the tower wing lol
Hot damn, that is probably correct. Now that I think about it as well, for parry gains that was what we were doing out of a friends tower.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

There is a lot of documentation showing that summoning creatures using the typical summoning spells was possible during the T2A era, and there is the fact that it's possible on live OSI servers today, which indicates some sort of change. This isn't the case for blade spirits or energy vortex, and the functionality is the same on both the demo and on live servers. This is extremely strong evidence for the mechanic persisting this entire time, and requires equally strong evidence to the contrary, or requires two major assumptions that are not supported by evidence.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

Rose wrote:
Derrick wrote:
  • As per OSI, cannot teleport within 5 tiles of a house or boat.
I tested this briefly and I have to say that 5 tiles around each house seems a bit excessive. This makes places like Yew market (around the yew moongate) pretty much a no teleport zone.

Yes I dont EVER remember any restriction on teleporting. I searched for about an hour on the old google forums for a post from a noob asking 'why he cant teleport' and there wasnt anything about teleporting and homes. If this was the case at any point during those forums there surely would have been at least one person talking about this.

I do not think this is accurate at all.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

Thank you for making my tower epic.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Robbbb wrote:
Rose wrote:
Derrick wrote:
  • As per OSI, cannot teleport within 5 tiles of a house or boat.
I tested this briefly and I have to say that 5 tiles around each house seems a bit excessive. This makes places like Yew market (around the yew moongate) pretty much a no teleport zone.

Yes I dont EVER remember any restriction on teleporting. I searched for about an hour on the old google forums for a post from a noob asking 'why he cant teleport' and there wasnt anything about teleporting and homes. If this was the case at any point during those forums there surely would have been at least one person talking about this.

I do not think this is accurate at all.
This is another case of very tight confirmation between the demo and live OSI servers. Both have the same type of restriction on teleporting anywhere near a house or boat, and no patches or well documented information suggests that anything to the contrary existed.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Trying to research this a little because I seem to remember being able to cast BS/EV in houses in era. Still looking for supporting evidence, however, I noticed this patch has also taken away the ability to cast BS/EV on the deck of a boat. In my research to figure out the house issue I came upon this website:

http://turbulentwaters.thefcb.com/TURBW ... crets.html

He states:

Publish 21 Bugs (November 2003)
-The following issues occurred as a result of attempts to fix the field spell issues introduced in Publish 19:
-
Blade Spirits can no longer be cast onto ship decks, but it is not known if this is an intended design change or a bug.
-Field spells - Fire, Poison, Paralyze, and Energy, can now be cast onto boat decks, the mast, the sides of the boat, the tillerman, and water, and can stop or block a ship. Managing to move a ship with these fields in place will sometimes take part of the field along.
- Poison Fields block player passage as if they were energy fields.
- Wall of Stone is no longer castable directly onto a boat deck but can still be cast onto players, tillermen, and on the water which can block a boat.
- While almost all of the Age of Shadows boat naming and drydocking issues were fixed in this publish, another was introduced. The name of a ship is lost on the tillerman when a ship is drydocked. The drydocked boat model retains the name, and asking the tillerman the name gives the player the correct response, but the item property display from the tillerman no longer shows the ship name.

I can't comment as to the credibility of this site, but it appears to simply be some comments on various patches over the years (i.e. - no reason to make any of it up). What I'm getting at with this is that in 2003 (a ways after our cutoff date), all of a sudden players couldn't cast BS onto the deck of a ship. He doesn't state when this was added, just that suddenly the ability was gone as of Publish 21.

Haven't spent much time or effort into researching these things before so hopefully I'm not making any etiquette violations here. Just publicizing what I've found thus far. Thought it was worth mentioning.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Fixing the summoning issues asap. Thanks for everyones work on this.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

are you just adding back controllable summons? I cant ever remeber casting BS/EV in my houses like you could here except very early days ie pre t2a maybe even pre orgins. i remember using graveyards with BS for parry at the corners or papua hills for archery even when i had houses and i wouldn't of done that if i could of used my houses with tables!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

jimm1432 wrote:are you just adding back controllable summons? I cant ever remeber casting BS/EV in my houses like you could here except very early days ie pre t2a maybe even pre orgins. i remember using graveyards with BS for parry at the corners or papua hills for archery even when i had houses and i wouldn't of done that if i could of used my houses with tables!
Yes, from what we can find, we're relatively certain that you couldn't create Blade spirits or EV's in houses in mid to late '99.

Corrections this morning:
  • There are no summon restrictions on boats
  • The only summons which are restricted within houses are EV's and BS's
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Daemonne

Post by Daemonne »

On Teleporting, I don't know about T2A, but I do remember in UO:R to get past PKs to get into your home you had to teleport to just adjacent to your doorstep then step on and bolt into your house to get in. Of course I have no documentation of this but it may give someone better at research a jumping off point.

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

Daemonne wrote:On Teleporting, I don't know about T2A, but I do remember in UO:R to get past PKs to get into your home you had to teleport to just adjacent to your doorstep then step on and bolt into your house to get in. Of course I have no documentation of this but it may give someone better at research a jumping off point.
yes in uo:r what make this statement worthless... you could tele out you door in uor if u wanted.