Second Age Q&A site: Ask.UOSecondAge.com

News and Announcements
Derrick

Second Age Q&A site: Ask.UOSecondAge.com

Post by Derrick »

We are launching a new Question and Answer site, http://ask.uosecondage.com

The purpose of the site will be to provide a better format for getting help from the community. Forums fail to a large extent to provide this service, because the same questions are asked and answered over and over again as the old answers get buried.

The format of the new site puts an emphasis on questions and answers only, and is moderated by users through voting.

I would like to be sure that everyone who is not familiar with this format reads the FAQ at http://ask.uosecondage.com/faq/
FAQ wrote: A Question/Answer community is different from a typical forum because it focuses on finding answers to the questions of its members. A typical forum, by contrast, operates more like a discussion group, where people are free to give their opinions and topics tend to be more subjective.

By keeping a laser focus on questions and answers, this community ensures that finding answers to existing questions - and getting answers to new questions - can be done without any distractions.
The logins for the Q&A site are not forum integrated, but are integrated for Google, Yahoo, Facebook, and other OpenID providers. We hope to add this functionality to the forum soon as well.

Impersonation of other known users on the Q&A site will result in a nickname change. Please sign up using either your known Identity, or a new one. This is an established community, and people do value their existing reputation. If someone has hijacked your nickname please contact me in IRC and I will verify and fix.

It is anticipated that AskUOSA will replace the following support forums: "Server & Client Support", "General Questions: New Player Section - FAQs and Help". It is not intended to replace any Discussion forums, such as the Era Accuracy forum, although Era questions should be asked there, if it's anticipated that the questions actually have an answer.

Strong user participation will be needed for this site to succeed, so please check it out, and Ask a question.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Derrick

Re: Second Age Q&A site: Ask.UOSecondAge.com

Post by Derrick »

The best way to assure no one hijacks your nick is to register right away. It's quick and painless if you already have a Google, Facebook or Twitter account. Just validate your email and start pumping up that Karma!

Thanks for signing up Julian, Hardcore and Tyrese Jackson!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Jason-

Post by Jason- »

This is an efficient way to mitigate repeated questions.
----

Someone should ask the question about automated events and get it out of the way.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Jason- wrote:Someone should ask the question about automated events and get it out of the way.
Policy questions should be avoided. This is a Q&A site about playing the game, not game policy debate.

Ok question:
Are there in game events like CTF on Second Age.

Not OK question:
Would staff consider running in game events again.

Any questions posted should be answerable by the community, not directed at staff.

keelonzo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by keelonzo »

Love the new site - ALOT easier to read (without the esoteric sigs)

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by mrbojangles »

Great work Derrick, looks like a very good system for ask & answer.

A couple of comments;

The repeat question 'filter' does not seem to be working. I purposely tried to trigger it, going so far as creating a duplicate submission, but it was not picked up.

This may be a problem with the old version of safari im browsing on at the moment, but the delete button on my duplicate submission did not work.
EDIT: Was deleted after a short delay.

Also, adding a third portal for information about this server might give somewhat of a "jumping through hoops" feeling to players trying to find a specific answer. Having the FAQ indexed in the "search this site" remedies most of this, fortunately. But the division between what answers and information can be found where probably isn't immediately obvious to a new player.
And from an unimportant design point-of-view, the three very different design schemes and layouts between the forums, wiki and now FAQ can have a somewhat discombobulated feel.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Great observation, this is very strange. I just started asking a question using the exact same text as another, and no questions were found. This is a very important feature, I'll work on getting it fixed.

I was hesitant to add another site myself. Going forward I hope to integrate my.uosecondage into the main site, and migrate the forums into a common theme. The wiki still stands apart as something that has a very different feel than the rest of the sites, and I'm not sure what to do about that.

I've been discussing Guides this morning, and wondering if the Q&A forum might not be a better place for them than the forums. I certainly don't think we should have skill guides in three different places (Wiki, Forums, and Q&A).

Any suggestions will be helpful; in the meantime I'll see if I can fix the similar question issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

mrbojangles wrote:The repeat question 'filter' does not seem to be working. I purposely tried to trigger it, going so far as creating a duplicate submission, but it was not picked up.
Fixed, thanks again!

Kriav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kriav »

I do not know what software you are using but(please do tell) i think that you can add google translate rather easily. I use it. Maybe not entirely correct it is workable. In fact on the forums it would be great. If you use a common header or master page layout put on there. I have done that and it works

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Kriav wrote:I do not know what software you are using but(please do tell) i think that you can add google translate rather easily. I use it. Maybe not entirely correct it is workable. In fact on the forums it would be great. If you use a common header or master page layout put on there. I have done that and it works
This is a great idea, thanks! I'll look into getting translate integrated on both sites.

The Q&A site is powered by OSQA. I looked high and low a couple years ago for something could do this, and came up empty. Then stumbled upon these guys last week.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Do you think using a similar format with some tweakage for bug submissions might be something else to think about in the future?

Kriav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kriav »

TAG Soup!!!

I think there needs to be a tag admin to consolidate tags. There is still a house vs housing tags.

Also perhaps raise the ability to create new tags to a rep of 100. Also allow those of say 300 or 500 to edit tags on posts.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

New format :thumbs up:

Great look!

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

Pirul wrote:New format :thumbs up:

Great look!
If you're talking about all of the new tabs it only works for me in IE. In Firefox or Chrome it's a hot mess.
Attachments
hot mess.JPG

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Hmmm...worked for a while on the front page in chrome, then it took a crap. Guess they're still tinkering with it.