Pre-T2A (Vanilla) UO rules...

Topics related to Second Age
Faust

Re: Pre-T2A (Vanilla) UO rules...

Post by Faust »

Ulfrigg wrote:That just shows you guys dint play that era, i got killed by a pk named Stygia all the time that using a Heavy Crossbow in the era. I guess you had to be there to remeber these things and not go after what you heard from people.
Played from day one of release back in September '97.

Being one of the people that has seen the original combat timer algorithm gives me a very good understanding of its process.

There is a patch that specificly mentions the "plant & shoot" feature on January 1998 that notes both the first state(plant & shoot) and second state(animation) were modified to be shortened. The patch clearly stated that the initial state was the movement restriction. Running and being able to shoot with a ranged weapon was not possible outside of alpha.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

I think you missunderstod me, what e mean by shooting on the run is that you dint have to wait for the arrow/bolt to hit your target before you could move.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Technically speaking for the first 3 months that UO was out, both melee weapons and archery weapons had an insta-hit. The 12/16/97 patch notes placed a 1 second delay on archery weapons between the time that the shot was fired and the shot landed, and a 1.5 second wait on melee weapons, placing the damage at the end of the swing.

During this time, it was technically impossible to outrun archery shots, since a shot that was fired would evaluate whether it hit at the time of the animation. This also allowed players to "shoot and run", but functionally speaking, this was due to the fact that the shot had already missed or hit by the time that the player decided to move, thus making the animation itself relatively meaningless.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Pac

Post by Pac »

Remembered another: Talking wouldn't reveal you if you were hidden.

emac
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by emac »

Pac wrote:- You could gate monsters. I seem to recall encountering houses on Moonglow filled with ogres, etc.
Yep. A guild I was in lured earth elementals through gates and trapped them on the roof of the tower with flour bags to gm weapon skills on.
KzHen wrote: I remember many dishonorable grey people spaming explanations about their reputation status in dungeons, in the hope that other blues would leave them alone.
LOL. Remember hearing people explaining themselves all the time. Usually was the typical "I accidently attacked my friend"

Faust

Post by Faust »

Kaivan is correct.

Was unable to out run the arrow animation but it was still possible to avoid the shot by being out of range. There was still a significant delay (longer than the demos) for state one.

Also, let me rephrase my previous post. The second state was not modified but the first state(movement restriction for ranged weapons) for both melee and archery was in fact modified in a reduction. This state mattered very little for melee weapon users but reduced the "plant & shoot" to one second that we are all acustomed too.

If you were referring to "shoot on the run" as the pre one second damage delay than my apologies. There are too many fellow Rebirth players out there that associste the ability to their false version of the mechanic that had no requirement to plant & shoot. That improper notion for the mechanic on that shard devastated the pvp there.

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

Downs wrote:It wasn't murder counts. It was reputation. Dishonorable made you grey always. Dark lord and dread lord were red. If you had higher reputation, you could pk and stay blue even when attacking.

And add, offensive spells castable in town. EQ summoned 2 guards per person per hit with it, causing interesting situations at

And recalling under placed houses, as well as towers with front doors blocked off by tents
if i remember correctly at one point, evil lord was still red but you could go into town without being guardwhacked. little point in going into a town other than Bux because the bank would not open.

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

KzHen wrote:
Pac wrote:
Downs wrote:It wasn't murder counts. It was reputation. Dishonorable made you grey always. Dark lord and dread lord were red. If you had higher reputation, you could pk and stay blue even when attacking.
Damn. I never got in on any of that, I started playing around July 1998 after the notoriety patch but before T2a.
I remember many dishonorable grey people spaming explanations about their reputation status in dungeons, in the hope that other blues would leave them alone.

Then a group of Dark Lords come over wiping the dungeon from level 4 to level 1.
oh this was, by FAR, the best part of the game... so many amazing tales from the noble "dis" (as we called them) with a quick and very likely true story about how they killed someone trying to loot their house or just got fed up with an unimaginable amount of grief from a sociopath & PK'd him/her.

these dis people would usually roll pretty deep or solo if they were good enough, with a whole guild of blues backing them. if you wanted a piece of them, you could try, but then they all healed the gray and were eligible for attack with no noto loss. this is how many huge battles started.

i can't stress enough how hilarious these dis guys were with their stories... in many cases they were obviously true!.. players like me would chase them around while attacking, spamming "Y U DIS?" <-- became a coined phrase, at least on my shard.

Bill Nye

Post by Bill Nye »

KzHen wrote:Anyone remember 1-hit weapons which are very over powered? :lol:
haha yes! i had a bugged out vikings sword and pk'd about 25 people outside of vesper with one hit each, finally got run down by a mob of people lol.

you could also chug potions while arming a bow and could gain archery without using a single arrow, just wrestle with the bow equipped

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Placing housing in town was sweet aswell, we had a small house 1 screen from the brith easth bank.

Pac

Post by Pac »

Ulfrigg wrote:Placing housing in town was sweet aswell, we had a small house 1 screen from the brith easth bank.

Did you sell your front teeth to pay for it?

Ganklord

Post by Ganklord »

Ulfrigg wrote:Placing housing in town was sweet aswell, we had a small house 1 screen from the brith easth bank.
How About Allowing Some Housing In Towns On The Server As A Money Sink? They Could Sell For Like 1 Or 2 Mill, This Would Be An Actual Money Sink + Era Accurate.
Jason- wrote:It's not just you. I want to punch a baby after reading his sentences.
okgoace wrote:dont spend too much time with this ganklord character, he is the ultimate griefer, lurker, troll.

Hiram
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hiram »

You could guardwhack people outside of guard zones if you were close enough.

If someone attacked you, you had an X second window (I don't recall X but it was at least 5 or 10 seconds) to call guards on them. If the attack happened outside of town and you could run into a guard zone before this timer wore off the guards would kill the attacker.

We used to make grey characters to roam the road near the brit moongate and fake-harass folks until they attacked us. Then we dashed to the moongate and called guards, guardwhacking folks at the road and further out even. Crazy bug!

Edit: I vaguely remember another bug we used all the time to gain noto. We would trap a red creature (grizzly bears I think is what we used) in a house and just attack them every X minutes then hide. Initiating a new attack is what gave you the +1 notoriety point. There was a timer that prevented the notoriety gain from happening too fast, so it was something like every 30 minutes or hour. Anyway, easy way to Great Lord from Dread Lord!

Abyss Ebonmourne

Post by Abyss Ebonmourne »

Kaivan wrote:Technically speaking for the first 3 months that UO was out, both melee weapons and archery weapons had an insta-hit. The 12/16/97 patch notes placed a 1 second delay on archery weapons between the time that the shot was fired and the shot landed, and a 1.5 second wait on melee weapons, placing the damage at the end of the swing.

During this time, it was technically impossible to outrun archery shots, since a shot that was fired would evaluate whether it hit at the time of the animation. This also allowed players to "shoot and run", but functionally speaking, this was due to the fact that the shot had already missed or hit by the time that the player decided to move, thus making the animation itself relatively meaningless.
This is how I remember it, as soon as you shot your bow it either connected or it didn't. It really seemed like you were shooting on the run due to the fact that at the time of the shot it was already determined whether it hit or missed (regardless of the animation) and because of the very low delay on the archery timer for bows/crossbows you were ready for the next shot the moment you "planted", however, briefly your "plant" lasted.

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

Ganklord wrote:
How About Allowing Some Housing In Towns On The Server As A Money Sink? They Could Sell For Like 1 Or 2 Mill, This Would Be An Actual Money Sink + Era Accurate.
There were a few 'in town' houses on UOSA due to guardzone changes. There are at least two still standing in Brit, may be others in towns I don't visit much?