Voting for UOSA (2016 Update)

News and Announcements
Wulver

Re: Publicizing the Server and helping players find us

Post by Wulver »

I voted!

I found this shard because I was listening to some UO music, dunno how I ended up doing that on youtube. Then I saw some free shard talk. I went through one of the top 100 lists, sifting through all the rainbows and glowing neon beetles until I saw this one. I was hoping for a nice factions shard but this will do.

Etras
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Etras »

This was one of the top searches when googling 'old school UO shard'

Samorite
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Samorite »

My lad was on defiance and they have a system where if you vote for the server on the top 5 listings you got a reward in game?

Hey you could offer a "silver coin" as the reward ;)

two birds with one stone :)

Legolas

Post by Legolas »

Just voted, thanks Derrick for your hard work.

aXuS
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by aXuS »

Voted and donated, thank you giving me UO again!
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law."

XileActual
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by XileActual »

Do you guys have a facebook?

Chike

Post by Chike »

Voted for this server on every list displayed by the site. Funny how we aren't currently dominating the lists, but in reality are dominating in popularity.

Those top lists are ripe for manipulation, some of the top ones don't belong up there.
Pacific early 98-01
Acropolis 04-05
UOG 05-06, 08

pvp conflict

Post by pvp conflict »

A friend brought me to this shard and I love it :D

Arkinium Ridicus

Post by Arkinium Ridicus »

Loving the shard so far, thank you very much for your hardwork in creating it. I have voted for the shard on all pages, and will donate soon.

memememe

Post by memememe »

Arkinium Ridicus wrote:Loving the shard so far, thank you very much for your hardwork in creating it. I have voted for the shard on all pages, and will donate soon.
Dito. Just started again with an Old UO mate (5 or 6 years of playing together), and it feels exactly like ´98 again. Never thought I´d find a game as good as UO, and what do ya know? I didn´t! I found the real deal, nothing else came close.

Gonna load up my paypal account and will definitely donate a bit. New games cost 50€ for not even one tenth of what this shard gives me in gaming fun.

Thanks for all the work you put in.

NewToUOSA

Post by NewToUOSA »

I'm new to UOSA and wanted to give feedback... good and bad... First, I played UO on the original launch back in the late 90s and enjoyed playing for a couple years before they added too much cute stuff that ruined the game IMHO. A caveat, I've not played UO since then so I can't compare UOSA to other current privately run servers. I would not consider playing on a post-T2A server so there may be few to compare it with anyway...

First impressions were very good, populated server with people on at all hours and plenty of activity. The server functions well with little latency or "bugs" and things run very smoothly. I very much like the fact that it is "era accurate" to some degree as I did not like the UO evolution following T2A (in fact I even prefer the pre-T2A period) and overall I like the ruleset. Clearly the freedom to macro is not "era accurate" but neither do I wish to commit months of mouse-clicking to raise anatomy so I completely understand the exception. It does have consequences like the relative unavailability of reagents in shops and an obvious effect on the economy but those things can be overcome. One major negative first impression was that there is apparently no GM oversight as I witnessed excessive use of racial epithets, slurs, offensive name-calling and behavior at the Britain Bank which I've yet to see abated. The original game was just as attractive to miscreants as this server I'm sure but such behavior wasn't tolerated in the day - I'm all for freedom of gameplay but I'd hope to see some line drawn on this sort of behavior.

A note to new players, there is no real way to repair your items as in UOSA smiths apparently do not offer their services in town like was so common in the original game.

After almost two weeks of heavy play I've leveled up a few toons and have started to try some dungeons and higher level content. I think it goes without saying that this is a challenging server for a new player considering the established, wealthy, well-equipped and ostensibly not a very forgiving membership. Lower level dungeons are noob-slaughterhouses with murderers and PKs vastly outnumbering adventurers. In fact I've yet to spend more than 10 minutes in any dungeon without being killed and now consider dungeons too dangerous to adventure in. That's not unexpected and part of the "PvP" world but I've noticed the forces aligned to victimize new players trying to get established appear to have no counterbalance. I've not yet seen murderer-hunters (that were a visible presence in the original game) or any other real threat to the marauding murderers that frequent the noob-killing fields with such alacrity. From what I've gathered (often as a ghost following my execution) much of the noob-murdering is perpetrated by the veterans... so, perhaps to drive up new membership some of the vets should at least consider letting the new players get established before culling them for their gold and ingots. Example, today I (for the last time!) recalled to level 2 shame dungeon and as I stepped onto the bridge I was blocked... to make a short story even shorter there were 5 guys hidden and blocking the bridge and they all popped-out of hiding and defiled my corpse before my heart even stopped beating. Ok, this isn't "PvP" but something else - I suppose it's fun for some people to kill others without challenge but what is surprising to me is that there is no apparent opposition on the server to the bushwhacking murderers. I'm not whining about being killed regularly as it's something I fully expected as a new player. I know the murderers have piles of gold, vanquishing weapons, armor, poison, magic reflection items, and everything else that wealth brings you in UO while I'm wearing beatup bone armor - yeah I'm going to die alot. I think where the problem (if you want to attract and keep new players) comes is if the server just appears to be nothing but a cesspool of griefers and victimizers with no counterbalance of good. If this is the case you will be limited to the kinds of people that want to "play" in such a world devoid of balancing forces and will not appeal to those that want to see evil counterbalanced by forces of good. In other words if you make it too arduous to get started in the world and over-harvest the noob wealth then it will be hard to keep new players. I also don't think the rampant town-killing and other "exploits" (I use quotations because I'm not sure if these actions are sanctioned on the server or not) to seperate noob from his/her gold help make a good impression on new players either but I suppose are to be expected in a private PvP UO world.

On a positive note, someone did open a portal for my ghost yesterday and saved me yet another long run to the healer! Thanks! I also have to be careful about my conclusions because I've only played for two weeks and may not have a full feeling for the server membership yet. I did join a guild yesterday and perhaps having some allies will make it a more hospitable world... I hope so because it's not a world safe for the solo adventurer!

Will I stay? Too early to tell but I'm not really the kind of player that derives enjoyment out of preying on the weak... if I can find like-minded adventurers to assist in riding the world of the wicked murderers perhaps I just might find a place in this world afterall.

In conclusion, Second Age is a very dark and menacing world with strong forces of evil largely unchecked by the forces of good. Town-killing, house robbery, larceny, trickery, thievery and murder dominate in this world and appear to define the server - at least in the perspective of a new player experience anyway. It is definitely a "hardcore" world with very little to pamper the new player (and that's good - to a point!) and you should expect to spend much time as a ghost as you try to establish your little niche in this inhospitable world. Veterans are probably more likely to see you as a resource to plunder than they are to to welcome you but this is early generation UO T2A after all and is a PvP server - if you are expecting a warm-welcome you're probably not going to enjoy UOSA.

Francois424
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Francois424 »

Subscribed yesterday... My first 2 weeks were awesome. Met lots of helpfull ppl already.

I've not run into lots of PK (3 jumped out of a gate at the EXACT moment I was in an area once, which led me to beleive to invisible scouts or Ghost-scouts), but I escaped barely. Then again I didn't go into the dongeons, as now proven by "NewToUOSA" I knew would be full of PKs.

Looking forward to a bigger home, convincing some friends to join over (they struggle with the interface a lot... Things us veterans take for granted) and maybe joining a guild when my focus switches out of making money and more onto adventure.

Oh and welcome to the shard "NewToUOSA" :D
-- François

Weigraf

Post by Weigraf »

I am new here and currently in the NEW guild. However, the guild has a large population of players for a server like this and seems to recruit members on the regular. Close to everyday. I think that being one of the last 'good' servers out there has begun to grab some attention. What we lack in terms of 'group pvp' is echoed by our shard population. We need people to play here and we need to inspire a younger generation to play. I myself have taught my youngest brother to play and set him up to succeed. This game does not have too steep of a learning curve to enjoy the game. Steeper maybe if you want to win tourneys, but easy enough to pick up the concept quickly.

That being said, we need to advertise this game ourselves, not just vote everyday. Buy the bumper sticker from the donation store. This serves a dual purpose: it serves as a marketing tool to get more players and it supports those who run the server, website, and forum. Also, it helps you come to terms with your nerdy addiction and shows the world you don't give a shit (sorry for swearing). Go to sites like youtube and reddit and post the URL for Second Age. Say something great about the server and how its "UO the way it was supposed to be".

Teach your friends and relatives to play! Go through the torturous 5 hours of setting them up properly and teaching them and 9 times out of ten they will be hooked, like we all are. Even go as far as going to your local nerd hangout where kids play magic and D&D and see what those kids are up to. Find a way to advertise for the shard there. Maybe then we could see a jump in the shard population and the increase of field pvp away from Brit Graveyard.

Further Google+ is a new up and coming social media site and needs a UO Second age community for us all to join and express all the fun that we have.

I am almost 7x on my first med/warrior that I would like to field PvP with soon. Any groups or single players out there looking for a member or looking to start something let me know. I have been macroing like crazy to get ready for some fun pvp. Dont disappoint me with this server is dying attitude. Someday a MMORPG with balls like Ultima will be reborn, but for now we have to share what little we have left and make it grand.

Kogane

Post by Kogane »

Its very easy to attract players, simply stream on twitch.tv

If 10 of us stream, people will see it and be interested.

Vishakt

Post by Vishakt »

NewToUOSA wrote:Example, today I (for the last time!) recalled to level 2 shame dungeon and as I stepped onto the bridge I was blocked... to make a short story even shorter there were 5 guys hidden and blocking the bridge and they all popped-out of hiding and defiled my corpse before my heart even stopped beating. Ok, this isn't "PvP" but something else - I suppose it's fun for some people to kill others without challenge but what is surprising to me is that there is no apparent opposition on the server to the bushwhacking murderers.

Will I stay? Too early to tell but I'm not really the kind of player that derives enjoyment out of preying on the weak... if I can find like-minded adventurers to assist in riding the world of the wicked murderers perhaps I just might find a place in this world afterall.
Reading this a bit late but I can't help but wonder if those particular "bushwhackers" in Shame 2 talked funny and all wore orc helms. If so, and based on your location I think the odds of it are really good, you ran in to the Shadowclan Orcs. When we are out and about we kill, but if you give us a second we will res you and you'll likely find most of your goods returned to you, maybe all if you seem weak, maybe less if you are a known db. Trust me, when we aren't set up in a trap we can be easy pickens. And many people, even PKs, fight against us. When our traps are set though we will eat any meal we can catch. 1 guy, 6 guys, certain death odds, whatever.

Anyway, I hope you stayed. And made some friends to fight what you consider evil. Come by the Yew orc fort anytime you want revenge.

Return to “Shard News”