Congratulation on five years, is it time for Siege Perilous?

Topics related to Second Age
Promyvia

Re: Congratulation on five years, is it time for Siege Peril

Post by Promyvia »

I've been thinking up ideas for a while for a "survival/hardcore" server preferably using the UO Origins (UOO) code (publicly released around October I believe). It would practically enforce player interaction and bartering.

-All skills start at 0. All stats start at 10. Skill and stat gain is slow.
-0 blessed items, not even spellbooks.
-Either NPCs won't sell any items at all, or at least remove most of the items they can sell, thus promoting player based economy and trading. Most of the mechanics on the server would be based around this, infact. Another option would be that vendors only sell what has been sold to them.
-Along with a revamp of the food, cooking and hunger system (starving causes death), there would be all new skills for farming/gardening, skinning meats and hides, and animal breeding.
-Bears, panthers, and wolves are aggressive (this is UOO accurate)
-Much more dangerous wilderness
-Either no mounts at all, or very expensive or hard to obtain
-No player vendors?
-Definitely liking the no recalling from Siege.
-Maybe no Moongates. And maybe, everyone starts on Magincia island, and to get off, you've got to either make enough money to buy a boat, or pay someone to let you ride theirs to the mainland.
-Scripted monster invasions of cities (with GM controlled characters as leaders of monster armies)
-Roaming armies of monsters throughout the wilderness

and more. Feel free to add to the list to make the server more evil. >8)

Promyvia

Post by Promyvia »

Actually I'd also like to remind people of some of the mechanics from truly classic UO (these are available on UOO code).

-Guards don't instantly kill you - you can commit a crime and get away from them
-Monsters and NPCs can be kited into moongates.
-Notoriety system - lose enough karma, and you'll turn red without ever having harmed another player.
-No Housing UI. No banning or kicking from houses. No lock downs, no securing. Your house key can be looted or stolen and your house can be easily looted.
-No Meditation skill.
-No Insta-hit (you can move out of the way before a swung weapon lands a hit to dodge it).
-Archery while moving
-No bonuses from things like evaluate intelligence, anatomy, lumberjacking, etc etc.

and much more I'm sure.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Small notes: Firing while moving was never a function on OSI servers, even back to the day of release. Also, insta-hit existed for both ranged and melee weapons for the first two months of UO.

It is important to consider exactly what time frame of original UO that you're referring to.

Edit: We still have a lot to do in order to achieve an accurate server, and that goal should be exhausted before considering other goals. So no, it isn't time for Siege. Also, many players wouldn't like Siege either: pre-casting didn't work there.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

I'd also like to point out that simply because Siege was launched on that date doesn't mean that OSI suddenly declared "CONGRATS EVERYONE, NOW EVERY SHARD IS SIEGE PERILOUS. ENJOY!"

By your logic we could now decide to precisely emulate pretty much any shard. Hey, let's be Hokuto and have only a japanese language pack installed server-side.
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

Peetrik

Post by Peetrik »

I absolutely loved Siege rule set! I started a character, roamed for regs on the ground and work magery to 70, then several times a day I would log on, cast ebolt and log out. I did this for a few months, then had GM mage, med and eval. This enabled me to play more easily. Then I soon learned of this thing (bug) about server lines.
Does anyone remember this and has anyone actually used the ROT correctly? This bug made it so once you got to 70, there was a 60 minute time period daily where if you jumped a server line, you would gain, jump again and you would gain again, obviously when using the skill. This enabled GM in 1 hour for most skills outside of the ROT system. I loved it, but it distorted Siege and made it much easier.

Without this in the game, Siege would have never become the way we know it as.

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

I say we just scrap mounts, and let that be that.
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Probe, Khiafin, and a few others at Novus Opiate Seclorum re-created Siege Perilous in 2007 as well as a T2A shard that, dare I say, was more accurate than this one (they worked years before launching). I'd have to say that playing their version of Siege Perilous was the most fun I've ever had playing any game, let alone UO.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

RickyM

Post by RickyM »

No Recall or Sacred Journey spells
thats a nice rule that would kill the macro bots from farming items/regs

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Guerrilla wrote:I say we just scrap mounts, and let that be that.
I think the scrapping mounts thing is an awesome idea actually for many reasons
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Scrap all mounts except for those grandfathered in. (((HORDES MOUNTS))))
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Siege P was a ton of fun.
Theres a crazy thing that happened to me on Siege P, and I wander if it ever happened to any of you. Heres the story:
I first started on Siege P on the day it was released. I figure, Id get a head start. Now, I was only 15 at the time, but I already been a UO vet for almost 2 years, and was one of the top duelers/pvpers on my shard. So, I figured, this would be simple. But, because I felt it was harder to get gold in that shard, I decided to go dexxer with just 50 magery. The stats I had lined up were: Macing, Tactics, Anatomy, Healing, Resist, Hiding, then Magery, in which, I also was going to put a few points in tracking/detect hidden since I wouldnt have GM magery for quite a long time. At least I thought I wouldnt..... Heres where it gets goofy. I did some macroing the first and 2nd day to get the stats I wanted 100/100/25. Then, on the third day, I go out to hunt. I at least got .1 in every skill except for resist. I think when I logged off that night, my skills were close to the following: 58 macing, 61 tactics, 50.4 magery, 50.8 healing, 77 anatomy, 93 hiding(macrod for part of my dex gains), 45 herding, and like 27 resist.
I log off, thinking "Ok, decently made so far, hopefully Ill be able to pvp in a week or two"
This was summer time, so I didnt have to go to school, and I was 15 so no work, it wsa constant UO. I log on the next day when I wake up and to my pleasent surprise, my skills were as follows: 100 macing, 100 tactics, 100 magery, 100 healing, 100 anatomy, 100 herding, 100 hiding, 0 resist.
Im like WTF?!
I am 7x, and didnt even mean to do so!
I of course didnt tell any GMs or anything because I was so happy that I got this lucky. I dropped the herding, raised my resist to 50 and I was off. I had one of the first houses on that shard. I owned the very first house outside of the trinsic west entrance. I turned my character into a hybrid of sorts, and did a lot of pking, and had a lot of fun. I stopped playing Siege P by the end of the year, because, quite frankly, I just didnt know anyone on the shard and none of my RL friends, or guildies wanted to play it with me.
But, did this happen to anyone else? I swear to you guys, this happened to me, it was the craziest thing....

(Also, its been 5 years this shards been open, I say its time for the Etheral Mounts gifts for people who been here for 4 years or more!)
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Lambo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Lambo »

Some of these things mentioned werent even features on siege.

The main thing that seperated siege was obviously skill gain and the fact you could only have 1 char. So as the majority of us had 1 account so if you wanted to utilize a crafting skill u had to add it on to your mage.

That being said it would be incredilby difficult for a free server to moderate that , thus creating uneven playing field.
Buying Charged Hallys/Bards
Buying +20 Power and above Hallys
Buying Reflect Items 30 Charges and above

Aboo

Post by Aboo »

Lambo wrote:Some of these things mentioned werent even features on siege.

The main thing that seperated siege was obviously skill gain and the fact you could only have 1 char. So as the majority of us had 1 account so if you wanted to utilize a crafting skill u had to add it on to your mage.

That being said it would be incredilby difficult for a free server to moderate that , thus creating uneven playing field.

First, I think it's silly to expect/request the "staff" here to support/code for a second shard.

That being said, the folks here do an admirable job of limiting players to 3 accounts per house-hold. There is no reason they couldn't limit it to one. My son can't play UOSA because of the 3 account limit. And yes I've emailed, so has my son. Over a month ago. No dice. :(

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Aboo wrote:
Lambo wrote:Some of these things mentioned werent even features on siege.

First, I think it's silly to expect/request the "staff" here to support/code for a second shard.

That being said, the folks here do an admirable job of limiting players to 3 accounts per house-hold. There is no reason they couldn't limit it to one. My son can't play UOSA because of the 3 account limit. And yes I've emailed, so has my son. Over a month ago. No dice. :(

My brother fell on hard times and had to move in with me for a short period of time a few months ago. He called a GM and asked if it was ok to use his accounts since he was living with me, they said it was fine. Now, he probably only ended up playing once or twice because he ended up getting his job back and has since moved out, but still, they didnt have a problem with it.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish