Tekai's Guide to Charecter Creation (for dummies)

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Tekai's Guide to Charecter Creation (for dummies)

Post by tekai »

Part 1

Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Tekai, I started uo in 97 with my friends thedood (not from this server, that is a different guy strangly enough.) and duncun. We played on the Great Lakes server, we were one of the brit graveyard crews.

I assume right off the bat, that you are capable of multi-clienting. you only need 2 accounts, and youll only be using the second account some of the time, and at the end of the game (about a 3 week process, no joke! less if your hardcore) you will have a second charecter half done.

The purpose of this guide, is to give a basic step by step guide on how to progress a charecter from nothing, to pure awesome mage/swords pvp guy that everyone wants.

I would assume many people will chime in with better suggestions, but this guide will work, will require the least amount of skill (yay for learning skill) and give you the nessecary wealth to continue.

Step one! Charecter creation.

First make your main charecter, the one you plan to play the most. You will want to pick the advanced tab, and choose Resist magic, and swords (maces or fencing, your choice... but swords is best end game) the swords is to make it easier to get started, you could get healing and save yourself some macroing, but in truth lets just get to buisness. macroing is for sleep, and we all need that.

Start in brit, can't stress this enough. The first thing you do, is put everything you own into the bank. keep your clothes, those are save via newbie laws (someone elce explain this if anyone asks).

Now take a break! (cant stress this enough)

Next create your second account, you can run them both at the same time without any problems. if you can't, someone post how.

Create your main alt, do you want to be a miner? dexer? it doesnt matter, choose and get whatever skills you feel best. but it is VERY important that you give him max STR and DEX, reguardless of even if he will be a mage. this is because it will allow him to carry more and run farther at the start, which helps.

Run him to meet you at the brit bank, and give everything down to your skivies to your main guy, and put that in your main guys' bank.

ok Whew, how long did that take?

Step 2!

now its time to get to buisness. Ask polietly for a gate to the "delucia pass" area. if no one helps you, send me a forum message and ill help you, i'm on a lot. Make sure you also ask for Night sight, you will need it! (you could buy a nightsight potion for 18ish gold from the mage vendor in north brit, and its always a good idea to learn the main city of the game.) reguardless get to delucia pass with just your main guy.

from the pass, run into the cave (i know, dont worry youll make it) go south the whole way thru the maze, you can handle it, your a big boy. There are no monsters, if you do it right. if you go the wrong way and see monsters, it doesnt even matter if you die. find delucia on the south side of the cave, and res at a healer once you get there.

the first thing you do is go to the bank, and get your dagger or whatever you got at charecter creation. if for whatever reason you didnt accually get one, you can buy one at the blacksmith for 20 gold out of your 200. anyway, get the sharp item.

Now, there is an area on the north side of delucia with 4 sheep. go gather thier wool by clickin the sharp object and clicking the sheep. From there exit the town to the east, and head north along the mountian side. 6-12 more sheep. keep sheering. if someone got to it before you, its not really THAT long a respawn time for the wool to return, go make a sandwich and say hello to your girlfriend.

i dont want you to stop this until you have 150 wool, and im not kidding, just do it. get about 5 or 10 and put them in your bank, dont wana die now. there are pks outside the city lookin to kill the tamers that tame the bulls near the sheep.

in the center of Del, is a tailor shop with a loom and a spinning wheel. quickly make a macro by going into the options, its on the bottom left i think, whatever find macros. click New, and make F4 Uselastobject.

doubleclick the wool, and click the spinning wheel. when its done, you get yarn, now press F4 and do this 150 more times. (again, a little at a time, wierd stuff happens when you carry to much stuff. things that make you cry.

after you get all the wool turned into yarn, double click the yarn and click the loom. do this like 1000 times, and youll get a crap ton of bolts of cloth. wow, look you created something awesomely usefull and you havent done really all that much yet!

quickly buy a pair of sissors from the tailor and head to the bank. double click the sissors, and click the bolts, then again cut up the cloth you got from the bolts. you should now have a shovel of bandges. after you gasp at the amount and wonder why you needed to get so many, thats about 30% of what you need to GM healing if not less. Welcome to UO and truthfully i'm glad your here. at this point put everthing you hold dear in your bank and take nothing but your clothes.

Step 2

Ok well theres several things you can do from here. you can - A run back thru the cave, and using UOAM (get this) find your way to the nearest Moongate. Or B- You could also at this point use the "help" feature to get back to brit, but thats cheating! Shenanigans!. anyway, dead or alive it doesnt matter, follow the moongates to brit. the brit gate is south of the city by a little bit, usually littered by pvpers having a good fun time. again it doesnt matter if you die, just find a healer and get alive to the brit bank.

now you and your second account are back together, with a truckload of bandages. now that i've made you get so many bandages, ill explain why. There are 2 ways to heal in UO. magic, and bandges. If you want to use bandages you NEED 2 very specific skills (anatomy and healing). Now i would really suggest that you put the healing on the alt charecter, your main charecter will eventually be a mage. if you have the heart of a dexer, this guide will end for you around halfway through.

So take your alt charecter, and give him the last of your gold, the 100~ whatever. and have him go to the healer area and ask the healer npc to "teach healing" give him all the gold you have left and return to the bank.

very carefully as everyone in UO is out to get you, transfer the bandges from the bank of your main charecter to your alt. do it 400 at a time if you have to, the safer the better, your alt-tabbing afterall.
Last edited by tekai on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[broken image]

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Tekai's Guide to Charecter Creation (for dummies)

Post by tekai »

Part 2

Step 3!

Ok so you have 2 charecters, lots of bandages but its day 2 and you still dont have any skills. fear not, its time to make your guys do stuff without you even being there. Take both charecters 1 at a time to an "out of the way" spot. make sure Everything but your clothing is in the bank. make sure you are still under the protection of the guards, and atleast 8 tiles near from some random NPCs. butcher shops are nice, or jewlery.

Now i'm going to do a very basic over view of razor macros. again i'm sure someone has a better guide for razor, but this isnt what this guide is about. these macros will work, with little fail chance.

on your main charecter, i want you to go to macros, under his razor menu. click record, go back to your charecters main screen and open your skills window, click eval int, and click your second charecter. now go back to razor and click stop.

now your razor SHOULD read(if it doesnt, you can right click "remove action" the ones that are not on this list.

Use skill Eval Intelligence
Wait for target
Absolute Target

If it does not say that, try hitting record and trying again. but eventually you will get that as your macro. now hilight absolute target, right click and click special constructs. click add pause. add a pause (click the top bullet) and type 11000 (thats 11 seconds in miliseconds)

your Razor macro should now read

Use skill Eval Intelligence
Wait for target
Absolute Target
Pause 11 seconds.

make sure the loop box is checked and click play.

grats your macroing your first skill. if the server didnt go down at 7am, and you went on a weekend vacation, when you got back you would have 100 eval. its just that simple. it just takes time.

on your second charecter, do very much the same thing on him, only instead of eval, choose anatomy. same exact macro with the 11 seconds pause.

Now i really suggest you do this until both are in the high 70s, 80s is better. its free, it just takes time, and you have to do it anyway someday, so why not now?

you shouldnt die whyle in brit, and with nothing on you , thieves will leave you alone. people like to screw with macroers though, so be prepaired to check back on your macros just incase your dead, and need to res and restart the macro.

do this whyle your at work, whyle you sleep, play a console game, whatever. it needs to be done, and your pretty useless right now, and higher eval = better resist gains later for a later part, so get it done.

Step 4!

Ok so 2 charecters with 1 high level skill each. not a bad start, better gain then hitting rats with a stick like in the old days, i'm tellin ya.

Ok by now i'm sure you stir crazy of not doing anything that wasnt mind numbing.

Take both charecters, (i suggest killing your alt by attacking a PC and getting guard whacked, its just easier that way.

once again ask nicely for a port to del pass. I know i know, you just spent all that time getting back to brit. I said that becuase people in delucia are not kind to macroers, ive just had to many bad experiences. an out of the way spot in the huge city of brit, is much safer for your macroers then del.

Get a port back to the cave, and send both your main guy, and alt-ghosty thru the portal. head back to delucia bank, res your alt and give him 35-50 bandages. go to the north sheep area (the one in town) and have your alt guy heal your main guy whyle he fights sheep, and cows. get your swords / tactics to about 60/30 or whatever it is when swords hits 60. from here, you can go outside and do the exact same thing on the bulls, tamers accually dont mind that usually because it respawns tamable bulls.

when your swords is 70, and tactics is 50 or whatever, your seconds charecter should have decent healing.

real quick just a side note. when your second charecter heals you, it only takes 6 seconds to bandage. when he heals himself it takes 13-15 depending on server ticks. this is why you only bring 35 bandages, hes probably going to die a lot to everything from bulls to pks.

Have faith! you will get your swords / tactics to a reasonable rate within a day, mabey two if you like breaks as i do.

another thing, even if you do not plan to be a dexer, having a shield on will gain valuable stat points, reduce damage taken by the cows and sheep, and is currently bugged so it gains like mad. you will eventually drop parry, but for now, its not a bad idea to buy a shiled from the blacksmith for your swordsman. also, using a butcher knife instead of a real sword, will gain you faster skill due to its quick swing, as well as not kill the things your leveling skill off of so fast. less moving = less alt tabbing = more skill gain. well worry about money later, your still a nub =)

Step 5!

Alright now that youve done some sword slinging, your probably not so apposed to more macroing. next you are going to want to learn a neat little trick, to get your main charecters meditation to 60 (as well as gaining your int some more) The final edition of this guide, will be a "stat teetering guide to get your charecters stats to 100 / 25 / 100 the standard for the hally mage.

again find a nice spot out of the way in delucia (might die tonight, cross your fingers!) and create the following macro. Click new and type Med.

Go to the mage shop in town and buy a magical wizards hat, they should be about 20 gold.

go to your spot, click record on your med macro, and click and drag the hat from your inventory to your head. razor will record this. now click your skills, and click meditation. if you do it fast enough, your charecter can med. after you click med, take the hat and drag it back off your head and into the bag. click stop.

now your macro should read

lift item - whatever
drop item whatever
use skill meditation
lift item - whatever
drop item whatever

make the following adustments like before to make it say

life item - whatever
pause 1.00 seconds
drop item whatever
pause 1.00 seconds
use skill meditation
pause 7.00 seconds
lift item - whatever
pause 1.00 seconds
drop item whatever
pause 1.00 seconds

Its not that hard, you will get the hang of it i promice, razor is very user friendly.

now click start, and once again, walk away for 12 hours, and when you come back you will have between 40-and 60 meditation. this will only work up to 60. after 60 you have to work for med, but its not hard.

whyle your main charecter is doing med, continue anatomy just like before standing next to your main charecter. you want anatomy Gmed asap.
Last edited by tekai on Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
[broken image]

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Part 3

Step 6!

You are now a somewhat capable warrior, with a good healer bot. Feel proud!

east of delucia a little bit, is a castle of undead. Stay away for now, or you will be eaten. Around that castle though are "Skeletons" not to be confused with skeletal knights which we will get to later.

find a lone skeleton, attack it, and slowly walk to a nice spot in the middle of nowhere with it, doesnt have to be to far, just off the beaten path. now once again butcher knife the skeleton over and over, might take 20 minutes to kill but watch the swords / tactics, and healing from your other guy fly. its a good idea (but not right off the bat, let your swordsman get agro) to have your alt wrestle the skeletons as well so he can gain wrestleing for strength gains.

I know i still havent made you any money, but you truthfully just dont need any right now. keep working that swords / tactics on skeletons until both are in the high 80's or 90s. then the money rolls in.

you can now go buy a katana from the blacksmith, start mowing down skeletons until you feel ballsy enough to take a skeletal knight. make sure your alt is healing and not failing on to many bandages and he should be able to keep you alive through pretty much any 1 and 2 mob pulls. dont let your healer get agro! thats the number one rule in MMORPG's.

killing the skeletons will net you 80-120 gold each, if not more due to magical items that sell well to the blacksmith, gems that sell to gem vendors such as the one east of brit bank, and swords that you can use so you dont have to buy more as they break as you gain skill.

save every penny.

ill say it again

SAVE every penny.

live like a colledge kid on ramen, buy nothing. if you die a lot, then dont buy horses. don't bring more then like 100 bandages, would be bad to lose 400 bandages because you didnt want to town run real fast.

Tonights macro will once again be eval (or med if i you didnt finish it) on the swordsman, and a new one for the alt.

the alt will want to have hiding. I know this is hard to understand, but later in the game you will get pked a lot farming for gold. You will want a charecter, capable of ressing hidden near your main guy, so that if he dies, you can wait for the pks to leave, unhide, res, and port out. So your healer will also have hiding. you can drop this later , it doesnt matter, but for now its a life saver.

the hiding macro is very easy, but easily screwd up. when you hide, whyle hidden, you dont gain.

macro for hiding is as follow: open razor, go to macros, create new. call it hide. hit record

open your skills, click hiding then say something like apersand (~)
razor will record that. when you talk you come out of hiding. stop your razor macro.

the macro should be as follow

use skill hiding
say ~

again hilight where it says "say ~" and right click, go to special constructs and add your 11 second delay so it is

use skill hiding
say ~
pause 11 seconds

Now if crap hits the fan, and you get your healer to 81/81 healing anat, you can run away, hide and res your main charecter. This is very helpful to avoid long run backs and corpse decays.

Step 7

Ok its farming time. By now you should be comfortable killing skeletons, and other monsters near the undead fort. move farther east, to the Orc fort. (yes pictures will be coming some day.) Pull the orcs, and level your swords and tactics all the way to gm whyle collecting gold, gems and other loot. keep everything, most items sell to npcs. the Orc mages will help out your magic resist as well.

by now you should have several thousand gold, it may take a few days to GM swords and tactics, but your earning the nessesary money to level magery, which costs aprox 35000 gold from 30 to GM, give or take based on luck.

Go to the mage trainer in delucia and ask him to teach you magery. Get it trained up to 30, and head to the bank. Now the best money vs gains for gaining magery is lightning from 30-65. energy bolt from 65-85, and flamestrike from 85 to gm. im sure some people would rather cast res for faster magery gains, but your pvp charecter should have resist, so training magery to GM on flamestrike is the best way to do it.

Now you have a slight problem!

On this server, you can not gain resist magic in town, due to magery not doing any damage. which means you need to find a place where no one will bother you out side of town. most people macro in their houses, but i assume the people following a guide like this one do not have one.

You have a couple of options, my favorite is the boat method. depending on how much you were pked, and how much of a determined farmer you are, you could easily enough farm the 12~k needed for a small boat. You could macro your hearts content in the middle of the sea with an extremly low chance of anyone ever finding you. If you want to save the money, just do your magery macroing in runs of 50 or so of each ragent, so that if your killed you wont lose as much.

So were going to go ahead and say youve found a nice spot in the forest with no monster spawns. Bring both charecters and your supply of regs (not to many!) ready to cast the lighning spell. Hopefully whyle you farmed orcs and what not, you filled a spellbook with all the scrolls you came across. reguardless get your hands on the lightning spell, as its the first spell we will be using to gain magery.

your Main charecters macro is as follows. go to macro and click record, name it magery1

use skill meditation
wait 11.00 seconds
if MP > 60
If HP > 60
cast spell lightning
wait for target
pause 1.00 second
absolute target (this is target self btw, your casting lightning on yourself)
pause 2.00 seconds
cast spell lightning
wait for target
pause 1.00 seconds
absolute target
pause 1.00 seconds

This will make your charecter loop med nonstop every 11 seconds (gaining it more) until he has atleast 60% life and mana, then cast lightning on himself twice.

now your good friend the heal bot, with his (not to many now) supply of bandages has the following macro.

use skill Anatomy (if this isnt done yet, if it is, use hiding)
wait for target
pause 1.00 seconds
absolute target (again, target your main guy)
double click item~~ (its the bandage)
wait for target
pause 1.00 seconds
absolute target ~~ ( again your main guy)
pause 6.00 seconds
double click item ~~ (again the bandage)
wait for target
pause 1.00 seconds
absolute target
pause 6.00 seconds

This will cause your bot charecter to continue his gain of either anatomy or hiding, whyle keeping your main charecter toped off.

If you need further instructions on how to make these macros, re - read my previous post, or ask and i will explain it in more detail.

This set of macros, will get your magery to 65. when you get to 65 magery, the game becomes a lot easier due to recall, and the ability to cast bladespirits, your new best friend.

more to come, and pictures after im done writing the text.
Last edited by tekai on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
[broken image]

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

reserved
[broken image]

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

reserved
[broken image]

Senses

Post by Senses »

reserved

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

reserved
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Preserved.

Red

Post by Red »

reserved

sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

devreser

Kamora
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kamora »

Nice guide! Thanks for including the macros :mrgreen: i hope you will continue it!

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

This should be in the Guides section of the forums.

Also, you're taking something fairly easy, and making it into a book.

We have short guides on how to build a PVM Bard in under 3 days that will give you enough skill to farm enough gold in an afternoon to macro up a tank mage.

You can go from nothing, to 7x bard and 7x mage in less than a week on this shard with little gameplay (but many macro hours)

The effort is nice, I just don't think you hit the nail on the head. Maybe break up some of the text with pictures :D
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Senses

Post by Senses »

Roadkill, more like buzzkill. This guide is a classic in the making. I personally enjoy when it goes from step 1 to part 2, back to part 2, to step 3 to part 5. The grammar and spelling errors alone are good for hours of amusement. Please let him finish!

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

RoadKill wrote:Maybe break up some of the text with pictures :D
awesome idea. maybe some pictures of the areas (del pass, undead city, etc.) to help people figure out their location
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

Both great suggestions that will be going into the final draft.

Also I know it's bookish, but its "for dummies" if you have any idea how to play, and are capable of provo'ing for cash the first day you start, well this guide isnt really for you =)

the idea of this guide is to get people started, exploring razor, and random tips that will help people to avoid not knowing what to do next.

Ill finish it more and more in the next few days. If the admins want to move it to guides before its finished thats ok I guess, I just think it will get more hits here whyle i'm in the process of writing it and getting feedback.

It may have grammer errors, but i'll fix them after ive written it, i'ts readable (is that even a word?) and that is what matters. Yeah, im sure someone could follow the barding guide and have a max charecter in a week, I did, but I also played for like 5 years. Every time I started over, this is how I made my fortune. I just finished both my charecters, so I dont need the sheep anymore. Just sharing the wealth.

As far as I knew, i was being asked to go into the public and look for prospective players, not everyone has played UO. this guide is for them.

Tekai
Last edited by tekai on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
[broken image]

Return to “Guides”