How To Bypass Razor Updates

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
Dagon

How To Bypass Razor Updates

Post by Dagon »

At least for today Razor is hanging for an amount of time while it tries to check for updates.. this update check, and future updates which could potentially break Razor until another update is made (like we've seen in the recent past), can be skipped by modifying your computer's registry key where Razor looks for the last time it checked for updates.

To make this change you can easily download the attached registry file and double click on it, or right click on it (the downloaded file) and select Merge, saying Yes to add to registry to make the change, or do it manually by following these basic instructions, assuming you are familiar with using the registry editor.

Open the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Razor
Change the value of UpdateCheck from whatever it currently is to "020391E8A569A689" without the quotation marks.

This effectively sets the next time Razor will check for updates to 50 years in the future. Any important Razor updates that we actually should download will most likely be announced, but currently Razor updates do nothing that effect us on UOSA.

ftp://download.uosecondage.com/Tools/NoRazorUpdates.reg

NOTE: If you use PeerBlock/PeerGuardian, or any other IP filtering software using widely available IP lists, this download will be blocked on port 21 by those lists. You'll have to temporarily disable the software or allow the connection.

The preferred verion of Razor for the 5.0.8.3 client on UOSA is available here: ftp://download.uosecondage.com/Razor_Latest.exe

Derrick

Re: How To Bypass Razor Updates

Post by Derrick »

Thanks much for quickly finding a solution to this issue Dagon, and also for finding that we were blocked (again) on our new IP's. Chaos is working on getting our new IP's delisted from PeerGuardian.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

Edit - It's already sticky isn't it :oops:

Stuck
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Stuck »

Ah, didn't notice this thread. I'm still not convinced UpdateCheck is really a timestamp. I originally thought it was unix time in microseconds (the unit is actually smaller than microseconds but greater than nanoseconds, storing unix time in a unit that small seems unnecessary), and the dates they correspond to don't seem to be very meaningful, and don't seem to increase by the proper amount when an update occurs.

Although I might have done my hex to decimal/microseconds to seconds conversions wrong when I was playing around with different values razor was spitting out, (while switching between versions). Anyone else have info on this?
Last edited by Stuck on Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Man I seen this a while ago but thought, meh,why would I need that. That was until this last razor update erased all my counter bars and all my macros out of razor.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Daelan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daelan »

Did the change
Razor wanted to update yet again I had another client open so it would not update and figger it was about time I went into Regedit and make the change.
The last one killing my macros was beond anoying.

Thanks for the post

Not Everyday Will Someone Make You Happy.

BUT

Everyday Someone Will Piss You Off!

Volschick24

Post by Volschick24 »

I tried this on windows 7 with no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

xenoglyph

Post by xenoglyph »

In Assistant.Engine.Main() from Razor you can see this code:

Code: Select all

if ((minValue + TimeSpan.FromHours(3.0)) < DateTime.Now)
            {
                SplashScreen.Start();
                m_ActiveWnd = SplashScreen.Instance;
                CheckForUpdates();
                Config.SetRegString(Registry.CurrentUser, "UpdateCheck", string.Format("{0:X16}", DateTime.Now.ToFileTime()));
            }
It's a time stamp in Windows file time format converted to hex.
if 50 years isn't enough:
DateTime.MaxValue.ToFileTime() = 2650467743999999999
Converted to hex = 24C85A5ED1C03FFF
Stuck wrote:Ah, didn't notice this thread. I'm still not convinced UpdateCheck is really a timestamp. I originally thought it was unix time in microseconds (the unit is actually smaller than microseconds but greater than nanoseconds, storing unix time in a unit that small seems unnecessary), and the dates they correspond to don't seem to be very meaningful, and don't seem to increase by the proper amount when an update occurs.

Although I might have done my hex to decimal/microseconds to seconds conversions wrong when I was playing around with different values razor was spitting out, (while switching between versions). Anyone else have info on this?

boredcanadian

Post by boredcanadian »

Well that was a lot less complicated then I thought it would be lol.

For anyone like me who doesnt understand most of whats being said in the first post

open the command prompt, type in "regedit" and the registry editor will open. Should be multiple directories to choose from, click on "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" and look for and click on "software" followed by looking for "razor" and clicking on that.

There should be a few files to choose from on the right of the directories.

Look for "UpdateCheck" which for me was at the bottom of the list, right click and choose modify.

Change the big number to the one mentioned in the first post and that is it.

AlexCCCP

Post by AlexCCCP »

WTF, can't believe it took me so long to find this post.

Actually got here via google search "stop razor update check"
Salute in the name of Lost Soldiers of Darkness [LSD], Napa Valley and The Empire of Atlantic (1998)

"I don't believe in god, but I blame him for all my problems"

Lord Mammoth

Post by Lord Mammoth »

Bumped to global for recent update issues.
Lord Mammoth

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The older version of Razor is still available on our downloads page for anyone having trouble with the newer.

http://www.uosecondage.com/Downloads
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Whitley
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Whitley »

Your bumps of this thread are so timely. This latest Razor update was a trainwreck, and after my client crashed again overnight, I was just about to google how to return to the previous version and disable the updates.

You gents have saved me that trouble, thanks!

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

Has it been 50 years already? o.O
N/m Fixed.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Marku

Post by Marku »

ive applied this, many thanks :)