Patch 151 - Aug 13 2013 miniPatch: Pets in house, Footstools

Information on the latest Server Patches
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Patch 151 - Aug 13 2013 miniPatch: Pets in house, Footst

Post by Kaivan »

Wiegraf wrote:does this effect snow and poop?
No this does not affect horse dung. It is still a surface, and can still be climbed. Snow is a different item ID, and could not be used to create staircases in the first place. It doesn't have the required attributes to do so.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Seem's about right Kaivan, although do you notice the art differences in the footstools? The darker one is the the one that does not raise your Z-axis, the lighter one is the one that does (or has the illusion of doing so).

So it would seem before the end of UOR, or whenever you figure there was a change, UO used the darker stool that gives the sitting animation and does not bump you.

In my opinion this does not seem very definitive, but it is all the evidence that we have currently. I wonder if someone could pull up a screen shot of a footstool during the T2A. A screen shot would definitely confirm which stool is the proper stool.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The issue isn't solely about the difference between the two types of stools, the difference is also a matter of how the foot stool behaved relative to previous versions of itself. At one point in time, standing on a foot stool did not raise your z-axis, and sometime between late UOR and Samurai Empire, it changed such that foot stools did raise your z-axis.

Wiegraf

Post by Wiegraf »

i do remember there being a few foot stool stairs in t2a era on OSI but i suppose i have no evidence to back that up. they were a lot more rare because few people knew that you could even do that back then.
"If by our deaths a single drop of noble blood should water the earth, they shall not be in vain."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

In order for the stools to work with newer clients without desyncing, I think it's best to use the alternative client id rather than to change the tile data on the server.

Thanks much for the extensive research on this Rose and Kaivan!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Kaivan wrote:
No this does not affect horse dung. It is still a surface, and can still be climbed. Snow is a different item ID, and could not be used to create staircases in the first place. It doesn't have the required attributes to do so.
Good research. But don't snow piles use 'dirt patch' graphics which are all surfaces? They can certainly be used that way here.

Downs

Post by Downs »

try the snow.... 99% positive it raises ur axis. i can test it when i get home
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Rammar wrote:
Kaivan wrote:
Good research. But don't snow piles use 'dirt patch' graphics which are all surfaces? They can certainly be used that way here.
It is, but it has zero tile height and can't be stacked. When you try to step up onto a snow pile, even if it is on top of other items, it doesn't act like a surface in the same way that other items do. You will try to walk onto the item stacked under it (but at the same z height as it) and either fall through or bounce off.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Kaivan wrote:It is, but it has zero tile height and can't be stacked. When you try to step up onto a snow pile, even if it is on top of other items, it doesn't act like a surface in the same way that other items do. You will try to walk onto the item stacked under it (but at the same z height as it) and either fall through or bounce off.
They certainly can be 'stacked'. For example, they can be placed onto a small table. They just can't be placed on nearly as many items as footstools can be, or be used in quite the same fashion. So actually using them is a bit more onerous, nevermind the risk of not locking them down in time. hah

Not positive off hand, but I thought they used the same general rules as gold piles, but just act as a surface as well.
Attachments
floatingsnow.jpg
floatingsnow.jpg (26.83 KiB) Viewed 6681 times

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I was referring to the fact that snow piles couldn't be stacked with themselves. I should have clarified more clearly. They can be placed on top of other items, but their interaction with those items in terms of stepping on them is different than that of foot stools. They don't behave properly as a surface to step on for many items.

Another issue that we need to fix is stacking items. For anyone who noticed, Rose's video shows that regardless of your height, you can only stack 17z above a legal surface tile (I say legal since all foot stools are surfaces and if any surface qualified, the stack height would be "infinite"). This need to be replicated on UOSA.

Edit: I should clarify what I mean when I say the limit should be replicated. Currently, our limit is relative: that is a player can stack things above or below them by +/- a certain z distance relative to the item count. This should be an absolute stack height limit based on total z axis change.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Yes, I'm very anxious to fix the stacking limit; this will alleviate a lot of player frustration with having items end up in their roofs when dropping them in a house.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Derrick wrote:Yes, I'm very anxious to fix the stacking limit; this will alleviate a lot of player frustration with having items end up in their roofs when dropping them in a house.
*gasp* No more loft apartments? :(

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Will this impact the infinite storage of stacking things en masse on a single tile, as discussed in other threads about shard item count?
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Blaise wrote:Will this impact the infinite storage of stacking things en masse on a single tile, as discussed in other threads about shard item count?
I don't know of any OSI mechanical limit of items per tile; but in any case it's unrelated.

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

From what I'm reading about the z-axis limit, if I wanted to lock down an item 30z above the roof of my keep, I couldn't just stack it 30z high, but I could stack a footstool up 17z, lock it down, then stack 13z more and lock the item down?

Also, is there any word or direction-leaning on how existing footstools will be handled?
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:I should have never defended you, turns out your exactly how the guild described you.. SCUM.