Hidden Valley! Come and brainstorm....

Post your player run event here.
Forum rules
Please make the topic as descriptive and concise as possible. If your event has not been changed to sticky or announce and you would like it to be, please contact a staff member. Announced events, which show up on our main website Must include the event date in the topic title.
AshBorn
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Hidden Valley! Come and brainstorm....

Post by AshBorn »

Alrighty so as you know I plan on running a regular event in Hidden Valley. There are 5 houses in an enclosed area. I need help coming up with the perfect event. Now I don't know if I'll be getting any GM assistance, but maybe if we can come up with a good idea I can submit a proposal to them requesting certain low threshold things. Either post an idea, or critique another posted idea!

So throw some ideas at me! I've heard a few in IRC and here and there in other threads, but I want them to be posted here so others can discuss and critique them so we can really narrow down the perfect event.

Here are the things to keep in mind when brainstorming an idea:

1) It has to be grief proof. Meaning, if people show up intent on ruining the event (as we all know they will) it has to add to the fun of the event. An example of this would be a pvp free for all. More the merrier right? Well along those lines. Remember, I cannot ban people who misbehave from Hidden Valley like I can at the tower.

2) It cannot require a lot of brain power of people (not that you are all not intelligent, I'm sure you are. But the more work to initially understand an event, the less people actually want to try). If its too complicated or too intricate, people will say screw it before it even has a chance to get going. If it requires people to quit their guild to work, again that's asking it to fail before it even starts. It needs to be easily understood and easy to attend on 'relatively' short notice to create more attendees and less confusion.

3) We have 5 houses to work with. Two per team, with one in the middle or all available to put items in or however you think those houses can be used for your event. I don't have specifics, that's why I'm coming here. But keep in mind that we are working with this specific area, that's what I bought it for.

4) Prizes will come from donations, either from me or the server (mostly the server because you guys have been awesome at donating). Prizes can be a large amount per team, or individual prizes based on the event we settle on.

5) If you need GM assistance to make your idea work, try to keep it as minimal as possible. Be reasonable with what you are asking me to propose to the staff. The less we ask of the staff up front, the easier it will be to get their assistance in the future.

6) It cannot take too much time and effort for me to set up and get going. I am doing 72 hours of studying per week for my graduate program. I have very little time but the time I do have I want to spend it forgetting about school and enjoying the baddest ass game ever created! (Plus I still have to run the duel tournament semi-monthly)

TL:DR - Give me sweet event ideas for 5 houses in a pit.

Thank you for all your help!

***After we get a few ideas, I'll put a poll up and we can all vote on the idea. The one with the most votes will be the new event!
Last edited by AshBorn on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Capitalist

Re: Hidden Valley! Come and brainstorm....

Post by Capitalist »

Can my donation go strictly towards putting some kind of imbalance towards player I dislike 50k per event?
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

AshBorn
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by AshBorn »

Vega wrote:Can my donation go strictly towards putting some kind of imbalance towards player I dislike 50k per event?
Give me a reasonable event that can make something like that work and I'd love to be able to take bounties on individuals heads!

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

I meant my current donation. But, I just mean like... green team has to kill _x_ player on red team before any other red team member dies, or else it's a loss for green team.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.

AshBorn
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by AshBorn »

Vega wrote:I meant my current donation. But, I just mean like... green team has to kill _x_ player on red team before any other red team member dies, or else it's a loss for green team.
I can see something like that being doable. Any more specifics for the idea?

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

E(u)o, please participate in the Hidden Valley events.

This is all I have for brainstorming right now. Good night.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I'm calling this one "Crack the safe" event.

The idea is to fill each house with 25 chests (max lockdowns) trap and key lock each chest. Pick a small amount of chests to put a reward in, maybe three max, so 3/125 chests have an epic reward in them.

Once all traps are set and rewards have been placed (obviously add dead weight to all chests so as to hide the rewards better) lock the doors.

For added fun and to get people into the valley, have some GM monster spawns come in, maybe a boss type of spawn. This part is not required but will be very good to get people into the valley before the houses become available to loot.

Once the boss spawn monsters are dealt with, it is time to simultaneously unlock all the doors of the houses and let the players begin to search for the epic loot.

One foreseeable problem: How do you know when to call it quits? How will you identify when all items have been found. It's not a huge issue.

AshBorn
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by AshBorn »

So for the chests, maybe 124 ballot box deeds in one chest, with 1 house deed? Something like that?

The spawning monsters and such would make it more interesting. If the server likes this event, I'll PM a request for something along those lines.

AshBorn
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by AshBorn »

Also here is an idea that was PMed to me (try to post them here instead of PMing me :)) -

Im sure you get alot of idea requests from everyone so far, but i was thinking a free for all that involved capture the flag using a gm made item from a crafter that is used just for this event. Its an easy-ish way to keep replication of the "flag" items down as you can name it and give it out at the start. And it can even be a noninhibiting item like a scorp, or if you want to see the flag
carrier have a little challange make it a shield :). They just have to keep the item in one of the houses for the duration of the event and at the end of the time, if the item is in the box of the teams house, they win. ALso the box should be outside and freely accessable. Just make sure you make backup items, cuase the original is sure to get jacked!
-Joe

Any comments on this event and Rose's?

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Ballot Box Deeds: Yep that sounds good, whatever makes it harder to find the loot. I was thinking you could axe a chest of tables at each front door to make it even more time consuming to get in.

I can picture a guild holding down one house, blocking the door, while their lock picker goes to town on the chests.

Idea: Using a key ring for all the chests will make the restock task a lot easier. Anyone know what the max amount of keys you can put on a key ring is?

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

CTF is hard to pull off, flags are too difficult to keep track of and will often get stolen/lost.

Any kind of team based pvp is going to add a layer of difficulty and grief.

First you need to worry about organizing teams, then you need to get them guilded, then you need to worry about non-participants attacking teams.

memememe

Post by memememe »

Rose wrote:CTF is hard to pull off, flags are too difficult to keep track of and will often get stolen/lost.

Any kind of team based pvp is going to add a layer of difficulty and grief.

First you need to worry about organizing teams, then you need to get them guilded, then you need to worry about non-participants attacking teams.
1) Have people enter the event naked, flag is a robe (or piece of armor, for variations/securities sake) of color X crafted by crafter Y. Hard to fake this one out. There should be enough people with the appropriate crafters who are willing to donate and the combinations are pretty much endless that no one can come up rightly colored AND named fake in any reasonable time span.

2) Organizing shouldn't take that long should it? I mean if people know beforehand they gotta come unguilded it's just a few dozen clicks (at the most! this is with a good turnout). 2 stones, warred to each other, no one else.

3) Non-participants will ALWAYS be a problem. But seriously, if a 3rd faction turns up who wants to "steal" the flag, isn't that like really cool? It's a ctf after all! First of all they'd all be liable to take a larger number of counts (which might not deter every such faction) and 2nd of all it would be pretty much 2v1 against them, since all participants would/should target them with priority. Not to mention that unless turnout is really bad (in which case you wouldn't host a ctf I'm guessing) then the numbers would be well in the favor of the participants as well. And of those most should be very apt at PvP, I hardly think the majority of participants you attract will come from the non- or totally inexperienced pvpers.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

I gave ya my idea in trading post. I think tagging people to stones that want to be in the event isnt too big a deal, considering that most are close with their gms and can be retagged easily to their own stone. Plus theres a ton of people at the tourney that usually dont even have tags (guild).
I will copy and past my old idea here, and I will try to come up with a better idea for a free for all type.
I just typed the new one, if anyone wants to hear my old idea, ill link it. Read below for my conquest idea.
Last edited by Menkaure on Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

Farm 1 million pair of 13xx's from the evil mage to make your money back.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Ok I think I got a good idea. Thoughts?

SINGLES COMPETITION IDEA:
Conquest. This will be somewhat similar to the idea I had before in ways of the runes and such. In this game, its every man for himself. The name of the game is to conquer each house. There are 5 houses in hidden valley, and each one must be "captured," so how does it work? We all start off the game in the grey NPC building near the bottom of the area. In each house, are many chests with unmarked recall runes in them. However, there is one rune that will be marked as the conquor stone in each house. Once a player finds this conquor stone, he must bring it to Ashborn in the grey building. Once he gives it to AShborn, that house is considered conquered. Ash can turn the house public, and this will show other players that this house is no longer worth trying to conquered. At the end of the game, whoever has the most houses conquered, wins. In the case of a tie, those players split the loot/winnings (theres really no way to break a tie in a game like this, cause technically 5 people could get 5 different houses). Players are allowed, and even encouraged, to kill each other, but there will be no looting. Players can go to whichever house they want first, however, be warned, not only are some of the chests trapped, but there will also be other traps around the field. There will be a couple "valley masters" that are not there to play, but are there to just kill the players who are trespassing in their precious valley. For example, one valley master may be throwing EV's the entire time, one valley master may be stealing, one valley master may just be attacking everyone in sight. This makes the game a bit harder. IF there is a valley master that is playing thief (Elk, youd prolly be my choice) then tif that thief steals the conquor stone (marked rune) before the player gives it to ash, the thief must run it back to that house and put it back in the house, in a different (or the same) chest. Playeres are NOT allowed on mounts. I would prefer to tag everyone to a stone to prevent kills, but its not necessary. I honestly think this could work. Thoughts?
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish