Gems of Sosaria - Discussion Topic

A collection and archive of non-player ran, Shard Events.
Greenhell

Re: Gems of Sosaria - Discussion Topic

Post by Greenhell »

I spent quite a lot of time in Deceit today, here's some stuff I noticed.

The gem-encrustation epidemic has infected everything in the dungeon that I could see... except for one sad, lonely plain ole 'lich'. Poor 'lich'.

The encrusted Poison Elementals are pretty nasty, but not as bad as I was thinking. They still have Lethal poison on touch, mock-teleport speed and big spells. Their Flamestrikes don't have the damage potential of the Liches. They seem to have a bit more mana to work with, and there appears to be an additional Poison spawning, and perhaps another Lich or two in places here and there. The loot of the Poisons remains the same save an extra gem or w/e.

Next I went over the entire fourth floor. The Fire eles are all infected, and still hanging around fire river with their Lich handler patrolling the secret halls as usual. They appear to be slightly stronger, with the same abilities and loot as before plus a gem or two.

The Lich Lord room was pretty interesting again, with some changes made very recently. The encrusted lesser Liches and Lords in this room only are now carrying an additional little pile of gold and 4 more gems. This achieves a couple of things quite nicely - it now makes the lesser liches something besides lure-away fodder. Farming all of them and the Lord is extremely dangerous but gets a nice pile of coin up quickly. The additional stack also makes it a little more difficult for thieves and scrubs to wipe out a corpse box in one swipe, and the other liches don't loot it up as quickly either. But most importantly, looking at two piles of gold in a corpse box is twice as fun as seeing one. The amount added was perfectly tuned. It's not so much it's welfare, but it is now too much to ignore.

I worked the room quite a lot today and the most traffic was this morning. Red and blue PK's were recalling in from time to time, tryin to catch me farming dirty. I also ran into something I haven't seen in forever - the dungeon thief! I had the pleasure of having my Purse Pickled and Filched, but they went away after a few close calls. The level 4 dungeon chest in the room adds an interesting dynamic as well. Pickers will recall in from time to time right in the middle of a giant shit-storm of crazy lich Flamestrikes and reds chasing people all over the place.

So all in all it can be a really fun, dynamic place. I can't think of a more dangerous room in the game. You have expert level challenges from both the PvE and PvP front, and the rewards are now very nicely balanced against the risks. It is not new player friendly, but that is clearly by design. See everyone in-game.

Thanks again devs for your work, great job imo :))

PS ... there was no sign of the entity Boomland cryptically refered to in his previous post. But I'm looking forward to finding it and killing it. I'll post the details and some screen-shots when I track it down.

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

Indeed recent changes have made it worthwhile for the risk. Very very pleased with the bump in loot. It was appropriate. Thanks!
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

I'm all in favor of innovation and change, but it we jewel-encrust too much of the monster population, we'll create inflation (more available cash = higher prices). I'd rather see higher-end weaps than jewels. Jewels get cashed in and create more cash in the system. High-end weaps (and items) suck gold out of the system.

Greenhell

Post by Greenhell »

Budner wrote:I'm all in favor of innovation and change, but it we jewel-encrust too much of the monster population, we'll create inflation (more available cash = higher prices). I'd rather see higher-end weaps than jewels. Jewels get cashed in and create more cash in the system. High-end weaps (and items) suck gold out of the system.
I see your point Budner and I think it's a good one. My immediate thoughts are, this particular room has been tuned well so it will avoid creating the situation your concerned about. There are the GY events for the general population, where the money being added is insignificant. Then there is the tuning of this room, which is basically the creation of a very high risk/cost vs. reward location for seasoned players.

Barding has always been my thing in UO, so I can say this room is very very hard to work effectively and impossible to do cheaply. GHeal must be cast constantly because of the unpredictability of the Flamestrike damage and the space constraints. Anyone running around at 80hp is asking to be killed. Patrols of red gank squads increase survival gear costs, ie invis items, tele charges, potions, GHeal wands etc. Not to mention the dungeon stealthers/thieves waiting to pick your corpse clean when you do eventually die. It seems any extra gold coming in is just going out the other door. Besides a good chunk of the extra gold requires more work - drag/dropping and selling to NPC's, additional time spent collecting it evens it out. So I wouldn't worry too much about this one room affecting the economy at all. If anything it will get people buying more stuff as traffic and PvP encounters increase.

Extra weapons/armor I guess is always good to see, but I gotta say on this shard the dominance of the tank mage really means we're talking swords weapons. Anything else will continue to go unused, unbought, collecting space on dead vendors. And don't get me started on armor. I can't give away the highest quality chain or plate, because no one wears it. Anyway, just my thoughts. Ttyl

memememe

Post by memememe »

Budner wrote:I'm all in favor of innovation and change, but it we jewel-encrust too much of the monster population, we'll create inflation (more available cash = higher prices). I'd rather see higher-end weaps than jewels. Jewels get cashed in and create more cash in the system. High-end weaps (and items) suck gold out of the system.
The problem with "high end" weapons, just like silver, is that the drop chance would have to be really small. Which would make farming a lot more random and less of an "instant" reward.

Freight Elevator

Post by Freight Elevator »

I know right then people would be out farming and things would be TERRIBLE, people playing the game and shit.
Lambo wrote: And seriously what kinda pvper ever has a character with parry they take out into the field...... really

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

Finally found that rare spawn mentioned from previous post.

The blue lich was a diamond encrusted ancient lich something or other.
My bard had to dispatch him the more conventional (but still as cowardly) way since he was unprovokable to any creatures around.

All in all, I could've probably got 10 times more gold and gems from the lich lord room by the time it took this guy to fall, but it was super fun (well kinda fun watching him die from poisoning) and thats what its all about!

Oh and the maul was +10 power. *Shrug*
Attachments
Diamond Lich 1.jpg
Diamond Lich 1.jpg (80.01 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
about 3k gold I think and 10 diamonds + other normal lich loot table stuff <br />(I already looted a bunch before the pic, he looted some things off other corpses)
about 3k gold I think and 10 diamonds + other normal lich loot table stuff
(I already looted a bunch before the pic, he looted some things off other corpses)
Diamond Lich 2.jpg (50.25 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
Last edited by inkognito on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inkognito●GM Provocation

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

I'd like to thank Boomland Jenkins and Lord Mammoth for their recent (and past) contributions to making this shard more enjoyable within the confines of the shard's mission. These events have been super fun and all players of every skill level can and should take advantage of them. Thanks guys!
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Greenhell

Post by Greenhell »

Hey Ink, I found this fella yesterday too, here's the powerful pitchfork I received!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I put mine down with a courageous Vortex scroll and some Fireball wand charges and Blade Spirits for laughs. Good times!

keelonzo
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by keelonzo »

Will try to make it out tonight - around 9:00 ET - - - - - PK's and Newbs come one come all!

Phantom 3

Post by Phantom 3 »

I dispatched an Ancient Lich (Aka fire elemental handler) as well! Man, she was one tough bi$%#! The loot was fodder, although the challenge was exhilarating. I chose to keep her in the hall way (There were roaming PK's) Glad those idiots don't use tracking *smirk*

LiquidFire

Post by LiquidFire »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:We'll look into the loot tables on the higher strength monsters. Gem encrusted monsters have "the same loot" + 1-2 gems (2 for most), and for some, a higher % chance to drop additional magic items.

There is also a special monster that spawns in Deceit 4 on a longer than usual delay, with a much higher loot table than anything else in the dungeon (or game for that matter), can't say much beyond that ... you'll have to talk to the brave warriors who have dispatched this "boss monster" in the past.
I rarely go into the dungeons anymore however today I decided to pop in and check the lvl 4 treasure chests and on lvl 3 I happen to see a "Diamond Encrusted Ancient Wyrm"

Was odd seeing him so I had to try and take him down, I was unable to provoke him, which is fine, that would have made it a lot easier but after some creativity I was able to take him down with no reds coming by.

Loot Gained (from what I can remember)
approx. 2.8k gold
18 diamonds (worth around 2k I think)
5 weapons(ALL were +15 or greater on accuracy, 1 was vanq black staff and the other 4 were power war axes)
and other misc small loot

but that was some crazy loot! But yes, I could have made more with traditional farming, but it was a nice challenge for a change.
-Apac, Pro Solo Provo/Treasure Hunter, Part Time Businessman/Broker
-Krillin, Tank Mage, Wannabe PvP'er
-Brak, Apprentice Tamer
-Joseph, Meat Shield
-Opie, Kelvin, & Jimmy Houston GM Fisherman/Captains of the Valentine I, II, & III

LiquidFire

Post by LiquidFire »

Just adding an update, I ran into one of those terranthian or spider people looking things, killed it, yielded around 1k gold, 8 sapphires or so and 2 weapons, one was bardy of might and the other a +20 dagger of power. Not as pleasurable as the wyrm, but oh well, it was on lvl 3 as well, shortly after that I ran into a guy taking out a green balron, but he left and im assuming came back with a dex/macer, by standard protocol, I fled :mrgreen:
-Apac, Pro Solo Provo/Treasure Hunter, Part Time Businessman/Broker
-Krillin, Tank Mage, Wannabe PvP'er
-Brak, Apprentice Tamer
-Joseph, Meat Shield
-Opie, Kelvin, & Jimmy Houston GM Fisherman/Captains of the Valentine I, II, & III

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

Still making a fortune in Deceit!...I think the town crier should remind old and new players alike that there is a moongate in Britain that leads to this gold (gem)mine of a dungeon!

Awesome that the event has lasted this long. I love it.
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Grogor

Post by Grogor »

If I'm not mistaken, this excellent event seems to have ended...

Can anyone confirm this?