Ghosting. Multiple accounts. Crutch for bad pks?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Ghosting. Multiple accounts. Crutch for bad pks?

Post by Kraarug »

Teknix wrote:
tekai wrote:sorry man, this is as era accurate as it comes.

no need to apologize. you're 110% correct. it's accurate. the game mechanics in that era allowed for it, and thus it should be allowed here.

'Fight fire with fire' is all I can add to this discussion at this point :?

Just try and be a step ahead of them and maybe scout with your own ghost(s) to ensure safe hunting.

::edit:: my percentage on how many people actually had 3 accounts or more was a pure estimate
Well, the game mechanics allowed one to dupe gold and items too so under that thinking . . .

Tronica

Post by Tronica »

tekai wrote:When i played I had 3 accounts, 1 had a crafter and 4 ghosts at major spawn points, i would cycle through them on pvp night where my friends would pk people with me.

sorry man, this is as era accurate as it comes.
i think you are a rarity in this sense tho.

most us were like 14 during t2a. i was lucky to get mom and dad to put one game on their cc back in 99, when the internet was a newer thing, and having a cable connection made you a god.

Senses

Post by Senses »

Tekai, im calling bullshit. If you really had 3 accounts back in the hayday of this game you are quite possibily the biggest nerd of all and some sort of UO god. Having already read your illiterate, brain jumbled, attempt at a new player guide is every indication I need that you are not.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Just to clarify, UDL was not a griefer guild, or a tamer guild. We were a PK guild and we did engage in many accounts of "ganking" players, but thats how the game works. I would have to say that there was significantly less "gankage" on Siege, simply because of the lack of stat loss, and yes the no-recall spell rule was great. People on Siege worked as a team, and so we did as well. UDL was an undead Roleplayers guild, much like the Orcs, and like any large ground, bound to have a few bad apples (or blue healers or Orcs on horse ect..).

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Senses wrote:Tekai, im calling bullshit. If you really had 3 accounts back in the hayday of this game you are quite possibily the biggest nerd of all and some sort of UO god. Having already read your illiterate, brain jumbled, attempt at a new player guide is every indication I need that you are not.
I certainly had 3 active accounts in '99. I could only log on 2 at a time though because of the program I was using.... can't rememer the name though. I knew of no one who had 3 accounts logged on on the same computer but my circle of friends all were able to get 2 accounts up.

In fact, that was a source of income for me because I would create accounts to 3x or 4x GM and sell them on eBay.... as well as selling rares (and sometimes stealing them right back!!!). I'd macro away one account and play on the other.

But, back on track, ghosting is certainly lame and an abuse of the servers 3 account rule. A simple solution was described before.

Creager

Post by Creager »

Multi-clienting was very possible with unsupported third-party programs such as YAMU (Yet another mutli-UO).

I don’t see why this is an issue. We had a word back in the day... "adapt"

Credibility was usually what made good pvp'rs stand out from the average. If you were known as someone who habitually used a tactic such as ghosting in comparison to scouting, it would’ve hurt your credibility; you might have found respect was hard to come by. Leave it at that IMO.

This is nothing new. “If it aint broke, don’t fix it.”
Jono | Carnous | Micro

Creager

Post by Creager »

Senses wrote: If you really had 3 accounts back in the hayday of this game you are quite possibily the biggest nerd of all and some sort of UO god.
Most of whom had friends who played this game, probably found it pretty easy to gain access to multiple accounts. I owned two accounts and was only 15. I also had two good friends who played and owned multiple accounts. Mutli-clienting and having access to multiple accounts was no secret IMO
Jono | Carnous | Micro

Senses

Post by Senses »

Douchebags can line up here and tell their glory days of running multiple UO accounts in 99, but sorry, bullshit. Just cause 3 nerds were doing it doesn't make it a phenomenom. The vast majority of people were running 1 account at one time. If ghosting happened at all it was unbelievably rare so stop showing up here pretending it wasn't.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Senses wrote:Douchebags can line up here and tell their glory days of running multiple UO accounts in 99, but sorry, bullshit. Just cause 3 nerds were doing it doesn't make it a phenomenom. The vast majority of people were running 1 account at one time. If ghosting happened at all it was unbelievably rare so stop showing up here pretending it wasn't.
You will find many members will pull memories out of their ass here... I'm sure the percent of people multiclienting on OSI back then was 1% or less

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Creager

Post by Creager »

Hemperor wrote:You will find many members will pull memories out of their ass here... I'm sure the percent of people multiclienting on OSI back then was 1% or less
It wasn't that uncommon. I still have old backup copies of a few 'unsupported third party' UO programs, including multi-clienting applications. Multi-clienting is irrelivent considering nothing was stoping people from doing it on their 'sole account' and just ICQ'in or IRC'in their guild in. It was more of a problem then anyway, considering there was 400% more people, connections/computers were slower, and VOIP programms were just comming around and were horribly laggy (remember roger wilco?).
Senses wrote:Douchebags can line up here and tell their glory days of running multiple UO accounts in 99, but sorry, bullshit. Just cause 3 nerds were doing it doesn't make it a phenomenom. The vast majority of people were running 1 account at one time. If ghosting happened at all it was unbelievably rare so stop showing up here pretending it wasn't.
If you want to arugue with emotions: quit being a pussy. Its a pussy tactic, invented by pussies for pussies. If you die because a bunch of lame fucks use a dummy account to "ghost" around then obviously you are too fucking stupid to adapt or use your recall button when the shit hits the fan. Go ahead and call bullshit, obviously you missed out and feel compelled to reflect your own experince on everyone else's.
Jono | Carnous | Micro

Senses

Post by Senses »

You are what you eat. But seriously, I don't give a shit about ghosting. I'm not in this thread because of that. I'm in this thread calling you out for being a faggot back in 97 and having more than one account at a time when all the normal people had 1. You want the official title of biggest faggot on the shard, thats fine with me, I'll even help you pin the badge to your chest, but the point is, your 1 faggot out of thousands that didn't, so stop giving you and your boyfriend a blowjob over your leet UO hacking/macro programs.

Ghost to your heart's content. I really don't see how they could control it without it being a huge burden so I'm against the effort.

cletus

Post by cletus »

I had two accounts on OSI. It wasn't THAT uncommon...So did an irl friend of mine. Actually he had 3 one for him his brother and his Dad who only fished and mined.

Anyways, I ghosted and so did he and between us we could cover some of the Atlantic hotspots such as Leiahs Rune Library. It was easier to hide a living character in the corner and try to get more information on people.

:roll: Deal with it ghosting has been in the game forever. If you are that worried about being pked get reflect on and make an emergency recall macro in razor.

a troll

Post by a troll »

I just asked a friend who used to work as a Game Master about this, and he said that there was nothing wrong with doing this. I don't like this tactic myself, but it looks like if we're strictly sticking to era accuracy that the "ghost wars" are on.

Deceit and Destard are both currently unplayable because of the sheer volume of ghosters, and certain parts of other dungeons are the same way. I don't think it was ever intended to be like this, but it's legal and T2A accurate.
MatronDeWinter wrote:Just to clarify, UDL was not a griefer guild, or a tamer guild. We were a PK guild and we did engage in many accounts of "ganking" players, but thats how the game works. I would have to say that there was significantly less "gankage" on Siege, simply because of the lack of stat loss, and yes the no-recall spell rule was great. People on Siege worked as a team, and so we did as well. UDL was an undead Roleplayers guild, much like the Orcs, and like any large ground, bound to have a few bad apples (or blue healers or Orcs on horse ect..).
I agree with this 100%. [UDL] may have had access to the dragongank, but that was usually the result of someone trying to dragongank them. They didn't camp orcs with white wyrms like other guilds (KGB) did.

I know a lot of people hated [UDL] but I found them to be quite honorable, even if a lot of people were at their odds with their 'win at all costs' attitude and their refusal to be apologetic. They were a blast both to fight against and to party with, and if you knew how to interact with them (and most people didn't) then they were a lot of fun to hang around with on Catskills / Siege Perilous.

Also, when I say that [UDL] "ghosted" I hardly mean to imply that they camped various spawn locations 24/7 with two or three of their accounts like KGB did. Mark (or maybe it was Zophar?) would gate a ghost to Shame, Destard, or Fire Dungeon once in awhile to see if there was any activity going on, but there wasn't ghost camping like we're seeing today on this shard. Freja also ghosted quite a lot because she was usually dead, but it was hard to hold that against her because she was Freja.

TTPMatt
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by TTPMatt »

It is called strategy. it was done 11 years ago just as it is done today.

END OF STORY.
<hemp-afk> now im afk for real, i dont even go near my computer when TT is around
-
<OlmanRiver> TT Stoner : Taking advantage of in game mechanics until they are horribly nerfed since 1997
-
<@Luca|Blight> TT IS A GOD

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

a troll wrote:I just asked a friend who used to work as a Game Master about this, and he said that there was nothing wrong with doing this. I don't like this tactic myself, but it looks like if we're strictly sticking to era accuracy that the "ghost wars" are on.

Deceit and Destard are both currently unplayable because of the sheer volume of ghosters, and certain parts of other dungeons are the same way. I don't think it was ever intended to be like this, but it's legal and T2A accurate.
MatronDeWinter wrote:Just to clarify, UDL was not a griefer guild, or a tamer guild. We were a PK guild and we did engage in many accounts of "ganking" players, but thats how the game works. I would have to say that there was significantly less "gankage" on Siege, simply because of the lack of stat loss, and yes the no-recall spell rule was great. People on Siege worked as a team, and so we did as well. UDL was an undead Roleplayers guild, much like the Orcs, and like any large ground, bound to have a few bad apples (or blue healers or Orcs on horse ect..).
I agree with this 100%. [UDL] may have had access to the dragongank, but that was usually the result of someone trying to dragongank them. They didn't camp orcs with white wyrms like other guilds (KGB) did.

I know a lot of people hated [UDL] but I found them to be quite honorable, even if a lot of people were at their odds with their 'win at all costs' attitude and their refusal to be apologetic. They were a blast both to fight against and to party with, and if you knew how to interact with them (and most people didn't) then they were a lot of fun to hang around with on Catskills / Siege Perilous.

Also, when I say that [UDL] "ghosted" I hardly mean to imply that they camped various spawn locations 24/7 with two or three of their accounts like KGB did. Mark (or maybe it was Zophar?) would gate a ghost to Shame, Destard, or Fire Dungeon once in awhile to see if there was any activity going on, but there wasn't ghost camping like we're seeing today on this shard. Freja also ghosted quite a lot because she was usually dead, but it was hard to hold that against her because she was Freja.
KGB was a moron guild, full of red-townies that would gather a group of dexers in town and lead them outside where they could dragon-gank them and use the 5 or 6 blues in their group that were too scared to go red to cross heal the only tamer they had, while the rest spammed paralyse and energy field. I wonder why it is that Brit seems to be the major city in most places, but on Siege, it was all about Moonglow.