No weapon hits while running

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Choppa X

No weapon hits while running

Post by Choppa X »

I just think its extremely upsetting that weapons do not hit on the run. It makes the field pvp here absolutely horrendous when the person you are fighting doesn't stop running. I could be on a dexer with 120 dex with a katana and not swing ONE time on a guy who does not stop running. I know you guys are going for accuracy, but this was changed for a reason. The way the pvp is right now, just about every one of my fights end up with the person I am fighting running away from me and I have no way to stop or kill them without them being able to recall very very very easily. Just watch this for instance.
http://www.uomovies.com/download.pl?id=2942

Vlastslav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: No weapon hits while running

Post by Vlastslav »

Agreed. Im still raging over 15 sec aid timers an 18 sec cure timers. A mage with 25 dex and autoattack you to death before an aid goes off.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Weapons hit on the run if they're ready... If you're talking about the timer not elapsing on the run that is totally different.

Having a hally hit every 2 seconds without this is beyond stupidity though.

If you were to remove this feature that existed from the very first day of Ultima Online it would require pretty much EVERY feature included that correlates with it to be removed too. This pretty much goes directly back to the RunUO default discussion. A UOR feature like this just would not work in an accurate t2a era.

Choppa X

Post by Choppa X »

Faust wrote:Weapons hit on the run if they're ready... If you're talking about the timer not elapsing on the run that is totally different.

Having a hally hit every 2 seconds without this is beyond stupidity though.

If you were to remove this feature that existed from the very first day of Ultima Online it would require pretty much EVERY feature included that correlates with it to be removed too. This pretty much goes directly back to the RunUO default discussion. A UOR feature like this just would not work in an accurate t2a era.
You're forgetting the fact that once someone takes off running away from you, you can't just stop for two seconds to let your hally hits refresh. In that time they are long gone. Once someone takes off running, there is NO WAY TO KILL THEM if they intend on recalling. You can throw a shitload of exp pots if you want, but they will get the recall off no matter what you do. Just about every fight I get into on this server ends up with the person running away and eventually recalling, so I think I'm done for a bit.

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

this is exactly the way it was during t2a so i dont exactly see what your moaning about here. you can easily kill people on the run ur wep still hits when u run if u keep it armed.

Senses

Post by Senses »

I've been making this point forever. I know there have been small fixes to dexxer mechanics along the way but inevitably it is always the same thing, everyone who has an opinion on the matter only plays Tank Mages. Low and behold though, the minute one of these tank mages rolls a dexxer they see there is a real problem with weapon swinging. Please stop saying there is nothing wrong, and just play a dexxer for any amount of time. You will see just how impossible it is to hit a moving opponent. We play in a world where everybody is fucking running *all the damn time,* and this means that dexxers are basically unplayable in pvp situations.

It wasn't like this in T2A!!! I don't care what anyone says, a dexxer could hit a fucking tank mage. Now I am not saying that they should be hitting everytime they cross paths with the enemy, but if and when a tank mage decides to stop to heal himself, a swing should go off in that brief time. If you have ever played here you know that it *doesn't*. You just stand next to them looking like a moron and wondering if somehow you accidentally shifted out of attack mode. Then they run away again.

Marcaeus

Post by Marcaeus »

In T2A your attacks were practically instant on contact while running. You didn't have to pause, or block someone's path to get a swing in. Honestly, all the weapon delays are goofy here.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Senses wrote:I've been making this point forever. I know there have been small fixes to dexxer mechanics along the way but inevitably it is always the same thing, everyone who has an opinion on the matter only plays Tank Mages. Low and behold though, the minute one of these tank mages rolls a dexxer they see there is a real problem with weapon swinging. Please stop saying there is nothing wrong, and just play a dexxer for any amount of time. You will see just how impossible it is to hit a moving opponent. We play in a world where everybody is fucking running *all the damn time,* and this means that dexxers are basically unplayable in pvp situations.

It wasn't like this in T2A!!! I don't care what anyone says, a dexxer could hit a fucking tank mage. Now I am not saying that they should be hitting everytime they cross paths with the enemy, but if and when a tank mage decides to stop to heal himself, a swing should go off in that brief time. If you have ever played here you know that it *doesn't*. You just stand next to them looking like a moron and wondering if somehow you accidentally shifted out of attack mode. Then they run away again.
You are right, this shard is a little heavy on the Mage side. On OSI dexxers owned towns and a mage standing still with no armor on and only 25 dex (in or out of town) had no real chance of surviving or reliably recalling while getting whacked on by a 100 Stamina (120 with potions) GM Anatomy and Weapon Dexxer.

When the Archery changes happened on OSI I saw something similar to what I see here with dexxers. On OSI there was no real way to 'shoot' someone to death only with Archery, but using a 120 points of stamina and almost any metal object meant severe damage and great chance of interruption in era. You were a fool to stand still next to a dexxer and if your dexxer target survived your L33t mana dump, then recall was the next best course of action in 1v1 if the target had tons of trapped pouches.

It's really off here for some reason and I can't put my finger on one particular reason.

I don't envy Derrick though because any change that weakens the dominance of the Hally Mage will be met with a great deal of resistance but something has to be done if the feel of T2A is to be replicated.

Flash Hardstar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Flash Hardstar »

sounds like chopper made a dexer.
Red wrote:Kill Flash, and I'm going to bet that his loot is worth more than 2k.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Marcus_ wrote:In T2A your attacks were practically instant on contact while running. You didn't have to pause, or block someone's path to get a swing in. Honestly, all the weapon delays are goofy here.
You obviously never played Pre:UOR.

Try it on the demo and it works the SAME way.

Thanks,

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Flash Hardstar wrote:sounds like chopper made a dexer.
I believe he made a nox dexer
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

RoadKill wrote:
Flash Hardstar wrote:sounds like chopper made a dexer.
I believe he made a nox dexer

Yep I saw him he was ChopMan X.

jackb

Post by jackb »

i wrote this in another topic but it applies here as well:

Hi. Nice shard.

I appreciate you have different crowds to cater to. Im starting back up in UO. I play a melee character and I was reading that you are making it so melee cant effectively hit someone who is running.

The thing though is even though they didnt let the weapon re-timer charge while running until 2000 you have to appreciate that things were different before 2000. In the least technology wise, say in 1998 UOs servers werent running as fast, there were lots more people logged into the game, people were on dial up connections and on much worse computers.

Consquently when someone stopped to cast a spell back in 1998 the person stopped for much longer than they do now, also when people were running around with obstacles away from each they were actually stopping along the way because of slower systems and ping back then. So weapons not refreshing while running wasnt a big issue back then.

Now though with lower populations, much faster serverr/connections, much better pings and computers gameplay simply isnt like that anymore. Players run fluidly through the world and only stop for like split seconds to get a fast cast off then continue on. In this type of game play leaving gameplay mechanics like this is just deabilitating to melee characters. Which is the reason why they changed it back in 2000 because things were already getting faster back then.

This isnt a balancing issue although either way is still T2A legal its just a game mechanics issue dealing with faster speeds

So Id like to just add my 2cents that although you might have a crowd supporting one way, I cant play on this shard with melee being the way it is now as thats the type of character I play. Like I said I dont say this to bitch and moan on a free shard, just to let you know there are also dexxers who would like to play too and as it is now its game stopping for a dexxer. Also I highly doubt any mage players would quit the game because recharge timers were changed but you will lose melee players if they are not.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i agree there is something wrong with swinging while on the move. i dont know enough about the mechanics to even begin to figure it out, but it just doesnt seem right at all. i really dont think you should have to stop to refresh your swing timer. this just doesnt seem logical or correct at all. even when i played on OSI with my old dial up connection i could still kill people on the run with my dexxer. cant kill anyone on the run here for whatever reason.

Faust

Post by Faust »

It isn't that hard to figure out. You swing a weapon your swing delay adjusts. If your timer is set to 1.25 seconds the timer ticks down only if you're not moving. Also, it is possible to reduce the timer when moving in certain situations that are "brief" moments when you stop. For example, when you do a turn that reduces the timer slightly. This is exactly the way it works on the UO Demo and the patch note for this is in the UOR publish in April of '00.