Pet follow speed

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kefka

Pet follow speed

Post by Kefka »

Various Pet fixes - May 25, 1999

http://update.uo.com/design_22.html

Pet follow speed has been increased.

Pets should move a little faster than the default npc speed, correct?

[00:43] <Hemperor> i like turtles

Derrick

Re: PET FOLLOW SPEED needs to be fixed.

Post by Derrick »

Nice find

hai t2a

Post by hai t2a »

Who's to say this doesn't mean that pets were especially slow to being with before this patch note?

Kefka

Post by Kefka »

hemp has a personal grudge against tamers.

anyhow, I'll try to find where I read it, but pets were a lot faster than NPCs back in the day. white wyrms were actually faster than dragons too.

hai t2a

Post by hai t2a »

It was a valid statement, changes aren't made here based on assumptions!

Kefka

Post by Kefka »

http://web.archive.org/web/200006131856 ... atics.com/

this is just one place, i've seen the white wyrm speed mentioned on many other sites.
Why bother with wyrms at all then? Wyrms behave. They don't attack tamed spiders, snakes, etc. They don't run off to attack the rat behind a wall. They dispel. They run fast — very few people can outrun them.

Pets should be faster, white wyrms should be MUCH faster. There's no info, other than the may 99 patch which mentions a change to pet speed. Therefore, it's not an assumption to say that it has always been like this.

hai t2a

Post by hai t2a »

We also have had many discussions about how we can all run just about twice as fast on average now then we could on OSI back then

Kefka

Post by Kefka »

Why bother with wyrms at all then? Wyrms behave. They don't attack tamed spiders, snakes, etc. They don't run off to attack the rat behind a wall. They dispel. They run fast — very few people can outrun them.
If you actually read the article i linked you to, the quoting text is talking about "why should you use white wyrms instead of dragons".

And, it says that they are fast, which means they are FASTER than dragons. They should be almost as fast as wyverns. I've seen this posted on other sites as well and i'll find that info for you. However, the above text does show that wyrms were faster, and the patch notes show that pet speed was increased. Any tamer back in the day will tell you pets moved faster than they do now.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Forum rules

Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Pet follow speed

Post by Kaivan »

Based on some of the information that I've been reading, there is some relevant information regarding this topic. According to the information that I've looked at (a good portion of it is from that exact page that you quoted from which contains information that is pertinent to 1999), there were two types of movement speed, attack and follow speed. One source, which had a portion dedicated to PvPing as a tamer, noted that telling an animal to follow then to attack your opponent allowed the animal to keep pace with the victim far better. The specific mention of that kind of tactic shows that the patch notes did indeed speed up the pace that an animal followed you, however it was only with the follow speed, and with no other command. Also, keep in mind that the information about white wyrm speeds are from an article during 1999. Horse riding was not as common at the time, and computers were slower as well. That allowed wyrms, which had a faster follow speed than the base speed, to keep pace with a player who was on foot using 56k. Naturally, we can't expect them to keep pace with a high speed user who is mounted and on a much more updated computer. Finally, I would like to say that we are aware of many of the features encompassing tamers and monsters in general from 1999. Please allow us time to gather as much information as possible and begin phasing in the changes once we have a clear picture of how things worked before pointing out changes one at a time. Once the changes have gone in, if any component of the system doesn't work correctly, then by all means, let us know about it then.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Kefka

Post by Kefka »

Also, keep in mind that the information about white wyrm speeds are from an article during 1999. Horse riding was not as common at the time, and computers were slower as well. That allowed wyrms, which had a faster follow speed than the base speed, to keep pace with a player who was on foot using 56k
The article is just stating that wyrms were much faster than dragons. A persons connection speed, and whether or not they could outrun them, has nothing to do with the context of the quote stating that wyrms were faster than dragons. The current stratics (while it's not t2a), also lists monster speeds. Wyrm = fast, Dragon = medium.

I appreciate all the research, and when these changes are made, I do hope that they are as accurate as possible. That means implementing the positive things (such as pet speed) along with the negative.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Tamed dragons weren't all that fast. White wyrms were much quicker after being tamed. The speed at which they ran was roughly around the same speed as an energy vortex when trained fully.

MRGrimm

Post by MRGrimm »

Are we certain that the follow speed on an attacked player is correct right now?
I played OSI from before animal lore was needed to control, till years after it was implemented.. I never remember being attacked at that follow speed, ever.
And all I did was PvP, and there was a LOT of WW's/Drags running around in my wars.

Are we 100% certain that the follow speed is correct? I see "Speed increase" but tha'ts a very relative term, which can be misconstrued a multitude of ways.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

MRGrimm wrote:Are we certain that the follow speed on an attacked player is correct right now?
I played OSI from before animal lore was needed to control, till years after it was implemented.. I never remember being attacked at that follow speed, ever.
And all I did was PvP, and there was a LOT of WW's/Drags running around in my wars.

Are we 100% certain that the follow speed is correct? I see "Speed increase" but tha'ts a very relative term, which can be misconstrued a multitude of ways.
Based on the essays which indicated the increased speed on follow, especially where it says don't bother telling your wyrm to follow, it's not indicated necessarily that there wasn't an overall speed cap for creatures, which might be reasonably assumed to be one tile per tick. White wyrms in follow mode are currently exceeding this hypothetical yet certainly plausible "speed limit"

No, we are not certain. In fact most memories are very much in line with yours.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

Shouldn't WW's go into "attack mode" and slow down? They do not appear to do so on live UOSA.