Community Stones!

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Community Stones!

Post by Roser »

Guild stones have a function that takes you out of the game and opens the old uo website. This idea is to use that function to introduce people to the Forums and IRC.

Set up some sort of subtle looking object in each town that when double clicked brings up a menu to choose Forums or IRC, clicking either one opens your browser just like the guild stones do. Maybe throw a little info on each button about the forums and about IRC.

Mechanically era accurate if you use the guild stone code, no?

WarmApplepie

Re: Community Stones!

Post by WarmApplepie »

Love this. Fantastic
Kaivan wrote:Stop hijacking a simple general discussion topic for your e-peen stroking Vega.
Ragancy wrote:Three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Malice at Terra keep.
Twitch.tv/warmapplepietg

Anarcho
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Anarcho »

I'm always hesitant to adding custom ingame items. They are often tacky and detract from the appearance we should be attempting to make, IMO.

I am entirely open to making "[forums, [irc" commands though. This may help our veteran players when directing new players.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Anarcho wrote:"[forums, [irc" commands though. This may help our veteran players when directing new players.
That is a way better idea!

WarmApplepie

Post by WarmApplepie »

I like that even better.
Kaivan wrote:Stop hijacking a simple general discussion topic for your e-peen stroking Vega.
Ragancy wrote:Three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Malice at Terra keep.
Twitch.tv/warmapplepietg

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Great idea.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

I like this way if done in a subtle non detracting way.

What if it was just as simple as a guildstone, but placed in a public area, like a few screens from the West Britain bank under a shade tree. When clicked it says "Visit UOSecondage.com/forums" or something.
Catskills 97-99

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

I had asked early on, back in 2008 about a "Website Stone" at the bank, Derrick at the time was very against the idea of items that pull you away from engaging with the game itself. The justification that guildstones offer the same mechanic is good, but didn't come up in our discussion years ago.

However, I would say the game has changed since 2008 and now, and that in-game methods to access IRC and other community tools is very valuable since half of UO is played outside the game client nowdays by the masses instead of in-game.

In-game commands would be great. An improved [help window in the form of a GUMP with more resources and information would probably be something worth building up as well.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

A small note for anyone who does want to know more about the commands they have access to: you can type [helpinfo in game and it will give you a gump listing of all of the commands with an arrow next to each that will give you a brief description of what each command does.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

WarmApplepie

Post by WarmApplepie »

Can that be added to the Help requested button? Maybe it already is I'm not even sure. Thanks Staff!
Twitch.tv/warmapplepietg

Dunder Mifflin Inc

Post by Dunder Mifflin Inc »

Let's activate the [set hue command too

Jay

Post by Jay »

nea. however please feel free to use my community stones. all i ask is a decent tip for services rendered.

Kabal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kabal »

Have a forum section moderated by elected counselors, and a link to that forum section right in the help menu next to page a GM.
Derrick wrote: . . .get real please.
"F**k that Morpheus, I'm takin' em both!" -Kabal
*pm me with questions about lasers*

Anarcho
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Anarcho »

Anarcho wrote:I'm always hesitant to adding custom ingame items. They are often tacky and detract from the appearance we should be attempting to make, IMO.

I am entirely open to making "[forums, [irc" commands though. This may help our veteran players when directing new players.
These are now in.

Topid ID is also an optional first parameter of the "forums" command. For instance; "[forums 62567" will open this topic directly.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

It works great Anarcho! Thank's for this!

Shouuuuttt oouuttttt