Order Guard extinction

Topics related to Second Age
Anon

Order Guard extinction

Post by Anon »

There are no more order guards at the guard posts.

Instead there are literal guards who do not attract mob aggression of any kind and who disappear with in 5 minutes and another reappears. When you attack them, they do not follow you, but they will instead continue on their path as if they don't notice.

IMO, this is a clear unannounced nerf on players who use them to gain combat skills and who use them to attack mobs they cant handle.

Question: Is this era accurate?

If not, I would then ask: How is it morally ok for the GMs here to change the game with out warning or patch notes in an effort to create a more harsh atmosphere for players and what is your definition of fun?

Example: Changing sheep's wool spawn rate for players trapping them on one tile.

I would also ask, what is next?

It is highly hypocritical to say you embrace the t2a era, bugs and all, when it comes to the LOS bug on stone foundations but then change the game for the worse for players, with out notice, and go outside the bounds of era accuracy when a bug leans in the favor of the average player.
Last edited by Anon on Wed May 13, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dunder Mifflin Inc

Re: Order Guard extinction

Post by Dunder Mifflin Inc »

This should be in the era accuracy section.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

I'm pretty sure they did announce that they were taking out the order guards. I think it was for an event and they never put them back.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Capitalist wrote:I'm pretty sure they did announce that they were taking out the order guards. I think it was for an event and they never put them back.
I couldn't find any mention anywhere.

I checked all the usual places like patch notes and then i did a generalized search on forums.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Actually this was a recent change toward era accuracy. This is indeed how it's supposed to be.

That being said, if you are using order guards to train melee/archery skill you are doing it the slowest way possible aside form attacking another player.

Skill gain is checked against your current skill vs your opponents skill, so the optimal gains are far from using an order guard which have over 100 weapon skill (120 I think?)

NPC fighters from Jehlom are good to start with, they take you to about 75-80, then paladins from Delucia will take you to GM.

vintirex

Post by vintirex »

There's a vaugue cloak of "is this era accurate?" and alot of mad at gms. Find out if it's era accurate first(it is).

They work hard at maintaining era accuracy,to a fault in some opinions, but questioning if something is "moral" because you don't like it? C'mon now.

vintirex

Post by vintirex »

Anon wrote:
Capitalist wrote:I'm pretty sure they did announce that they were taking out the order guards. I think it was for an event and they never put them back.
I couldn't find any mention anywhere.

I checked all the usual places like patch notes and then i did a generalized search on forums.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9810

First page of era accuracy forum.

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

I still use chaos guards when i train melee skill.... not sure about speed with these vs hired fighters, but it usually gm's a melee skill while i sleep. So seems pretty fast to me?
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

As vintirex has pointed out, this was discussed earlier this year in the Suggestions & Era Accuracy forum, and we have established via both the UO 98 project and other historical information that these guard posts were manned by normal guards.

Interestingly enough, our order guards don't actually work as they should. On the demo, they are functionally identical to regular guards, except they wear plate armor, have viking swords and their respective shields, and will issue shields to those who request them while in the proper guilds. So, even if we were to put them back into the wilderness with their corrected stats and behavior, they would not be attacked by nor attack any mobs, and would be very lethal to anyone who attempted to attack them, just like regular guards.

So in other words, this is not some quite nerf that lies outside the bounds of era accuracy, but is a fix to a long standing issue.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Anon

Post by Anon »

I honestly did not know and I tried to research it but didn't find any results.

Thanks for the clarification. :D

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Not a problem. I'm just clarifying that we didn't do this silently.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org