Is this shard losing it's steam

Topics related to Second Age
randale

Is this shard losing it's steam

Post by randale »

Not as many players/people online as there used to be.

dazedman

Re: Is this shard losing it's steam

Post by dazedman »

It seems to be that way sadly. We need to really promote the server more.

randale

Post by randale »

dazedman wrote:It seems to be that way sadly. We need to really promote the server more.
I wonder if people will eventually just get bored of after you've done everything, maybe that's what happened with players who have played here for a while, then left.

Jay

Post by Jay »

aren't we about to start an email newsletter and a new website?

Ohm
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ohm »

Im pretty sure the new website has been ready for 2 years.. idk why it's not being used yet
[22:31:51] <wintergate> Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

dazedman

Post by dazedman »

From what I heard the new website is ready. I hope that it could get the nice face lift it needs. It will help promote the server some more and show that we have active support.

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

IMO they need to bring back automated events. Automated PVM while being tons of fun, bring people together in a natural way.

Automated PVP events are also a fun distraction, and give the hard core PVP guys some good action outside of murdering the weak.

Both are without question improvements to the shard. The only real argument is the rewards causing economy imbalance. Simple, don't give out rewards for PVP events, and only allow the normal spawn rewards for PVM events. The shard is 8 years old. The only true gold sink is regs and vendor fees. It will never be a "balanced economy" using era accurate tools. The only real argument I feel doesn't pass the sniff test.

The previous comments were said out of love for the shard.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

dazedman

Post by dazedman »

I think those are great ideas. The rewards are not needed. we all love this shard and only want it to continue to succeed.

randale

Post by randale »

How many were there on OSI shards back in the T2A days. Obviously too many for the servers to handle, which led to lag. How many would we have to have online here for it to lag? 500? 1000? 10,000? Or does it lag only when you have toon many toons clustered in one place- like the West Britain bank.

dazedman

Post by dazedman »

I have been on this server when it has had over 350 players online and it did not have much trouble at all keeping my horse running nice and smooth.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I can confirm that 700 people didn't slow this thing down.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

randale

Post by randale »

Yeah, I'm guessing OSI shards back in the T2A days (and beyond) had thousands or tens of thousands, maybe more.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

It's dying. Telamon told me so.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Boondock_Saint wrote:It's dying. Telamon told me so.
lol

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

The shard isn't dying. The age is testament to that. There's just too many people with too much invested to allow that to happen.

The shard has peaked. The shard went on a long and steady decline when automated events were removed. It eventually leveled off, and stayed fairly consistent since.

While the shard isn't dying, the shard hasn't grown in a meaningful way for a very long time either. It won't grow unless something changes to bring people back in. It's that simple. Until then, the shard is what it is. It will likely continue posting middle to low 100's at peak.

The best way to grow the shard is to change. I'd recommend adding back the thing the drove most of the players to leave for other shards. Outside of heavy advertising (which costs money the shard doesn't have), it is the most likely way to get the subscriptions count back up.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin