So long, and thanks for all the fish.

News and Announcements
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Post by Kaivan »

It is with a significant twinge in my heart that today, I am announcing my retirement from my administrative position on UOSA. This particular decision does not come easily to me, but an analysis of my position over the last couple of years, and particularly of the last few months has left me feeling confident that this decision is likely the best decision for the server and myself. Below, I'll try to briefly outline some of my reasons for leaving the server:

Last of the "Old Guard"

In some sense, I suspect that I am a relic from an older time. Overall, I have been on UOSA for nearly 8 years - a time that is longer than Derrick has been engaged with the server, including his 8 month pre-launch design of the server. In these years, I have spent my time first helping to fully define, and later attempting to stay true to the stated goals of the server, and for a long time that was fine. However, with Derrick's presence no longer being felt on the server, and with none of the older GM's still around, I feel that my dedication to the goals of the server as they were originally defined has almost certainly caused some animosity overall, particularly butting heads with other GMs due to my conservative nature on what should and shouldn't be done (e.g. community development). In that sense, I may well be an overall detriment to the effort to make UOSA succeed, and stepping out of the way may be the best thing for the future of the server.

Public enemy #1

Another problem that I see is that in many ways, I feel that I am perceived as the enemy of the players. Generally speaking, because my mandate has been to work on the mechanics, and largely stay out of the way beyond that, many players have vehemently disagreed with my stances on staying out of the world (less in world events), and have also disagreed with my stances on fixing specific problems such as the infamous "LoS bug". Because of that, and many of the changes to mechanics that have been unfavorable to players (all kill comes to mind), I have many players - both past and present - that don't like me, and perhaps with good reason. In the end, my stance on things was mostly to say "no" to what players wanted, and while I don't always think that simply saying "yes" is the right answer, I don't think my hard line stances have done a service to the server by creating a positive relationship between the staff and players; overall, I feel like I have been a negative influence in that department.

A sense of uselessness

Last, and perhaps most poignantly, I feel that I have become a roadblock to the server who can no longer usefully serve a purpose. In a short while, it will have been 1 and 1/3 years since a patch has been released for UOSA. My main task, and greatest interest in working with UOSA, has been to try and understand the game in the deepest sense possible, and try to re-create the mechanics. For over a year, this hasn't happened, and without that, I feel that my usefulness has simply disappeared. By and large, I feel that I have simply been treading water, helping to maintain the server, while I say "no" to many things that players want, creating more animosity between the staff and players - all the while being unable to contribute in a meaningful way. With that in mind, perhaps I really have outlived my usefulness on the server, and stepping aside is the most logical thing to do. If I no longer serve as a roadblock, then at least something can potentially be done to improve the server.

To the players

With my reasons for retiring outlined as best as possible, I'd like to take a moment to say thank you to the players. In my time here, I have tried to bring you the most enjoyment possible, and treat everyone as fairly as possible so that no one felt that there was an "in crowd" who had the favor of the GM's. In many ways this made me seem cold and unfeeling, and if this was the perception that I gave, then I apologize. I have respect for all of you as players, and have always enjoyed trying to help when I can. For those players that I locked horns with, I don't hold any animosity towards you, and I hope that you'll return the sentiment. In the end, I only wanted to try to do the best job and deliver the best results possible. I only hope that I had done so when I was able to take meaningful action.

To the staff

As with the players, I want to say thank you to the the staff members, both past and present. My time spent here on UOSA has been amazing, and I feel honored to have worked with you on the great experiment that UOSA is. As I did with the players, I apologize for the times that I've locked horns on policy, and dragged out long discussions on controversial topics. As with my interactions with players, I was merely attempting to do my best, and in that regard I have always used our mandate for the server as my guiding principle in discussions. At times I may have seemed insufferable, but I hope that my intent was clear and that I didn't cause too much frustration. I wish you the best in guiding the server into the future.

For the future

Before leaving, I would be remiss if I didn't offer at least one suggestion for helping the server succeed: activity towards the core goals.

In my time playing on various free servers, I have found that a lack of movement or focus on the core goals of the server have always caused the most damage to the success of the server overall. Should UOSA decide to continue with the current mandate, a patch once per month - be it a single fix or a large mechanical change - would be incredibly meaningful towards showing some dedication to that goal. Should a new or modified mandate be chosen, always be willing to move forward towards those goals, as it shows some drive to improve the server and a committed administration by extension.

In closing

Should UOSA decide to continue on it's current course and decide that they need my assistance, I will be more than willing to contribute as a normal user to the discussion of mechanics (although I won't be looking at UO for a little while at all). I will be adding a signature which will contain a few links to archives and other useful locations to search for information. So, for anyone who is still interested in the mechanics as a whole, I can hopefully act as a library for useful information on a wide array of topics. I also may continue to be in IRC, and perhaps actively participate there as well.

Well... that's about it. Kaivan, UOSA Historian, signing off for the last time.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Post by dren »

Thanks Kaivan, appreciate all your hard work in making UOSA great and sorry to see you go. Apologies in the case I ever gave you a different impression.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

So disappointing.

You were a really good GM, and I'm so sorry to see you go.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I feel like my dog just died, truck broke down, and wife left me.

Later man, I hope you make a player account at some point, it would be fun.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

The server will be so much worse off without the crabby, old and true feeling of an OSI GM. You are the yin to so many yang's, and what the last vets remember of a better time. Looks like the trammies who don't know how to make fun for themselves beat you down. So long, guy who helped me when no one else would like 500x, and the only reason I wasn't banned for being a smartass. I'll miss ya and your long talks of greatness on vent, keep in touch.

PS please become a player.

Damascus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Damascus »

thank you Kaivan.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Wow.

It's easy, I imagine, for any/all of us to take your long-term dedication, and many contributions, to the shard for granted. For my part, I am sorry that I had missed much of your 8-year tenure.

I'd started thinking of you as furniture, or maybe a landmark, in terms of your presence and reliability as a resource here: your announcement is sobering; like a wing of the library being closed, and the books archived.

Your remarks today are modest: few, if any, of us can truly appreciate the magnitude of effort you have injected into this project. You have been instrumental in continuing to illuminate for me the value of UOSA's mission statement.

You will be missed; by at least a few, fondly.

Be well.

SS

Ill Gates

Post by Ill Gates »

Thank's for making this place as mechanically sound as it was. You will be missed. There was definitely a love/hate for you on aspects of the events, but you were always appreciated. Thanks for your contributions to making SA a great place that it was.

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

Truly a loss for UOSA!

Its a shame you have had to come to such a conclusion. I think you underestimate the worth & wealth of
you being here. You are the voice of the charge to UOSA's mission statement. This shard will not be the
same without Kaivan's presents.

On the less selfish other hand, I understand where you are coming from & applaud you for living true to yourself & your beliefs.

Thank you & good luck to you sir! Take care!
Cheers!

*salutes*

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

Surprised to see you leave, and have never had an ill thing to say about you. Thanks for your service and good luck in the future.

All the posts above mine read like a eulogy and I'm sure at least a few below will be a threadshit. lol, goodluck and ride that llama till it looses stam, then just dismount and like magic it's fully rested.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

See ya Kaivan. Your work here has not and will not be forgotten.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

a nerd

Post by a nerd »

Can I haz your lewts?

tiredat52

Post by tiredat52 »

I have appreciated your stance and contributions to UOSA and I do believe you will be missed. I have never had any ill feelings towards you...even when you locked threads I was spouting off in. For every great contest there has to be a referee...a moderator of sorts to keep things focused. You were that person and I admired you for it. I do hope you decide to play in game or continue to contribute in some way but......if not.....thank you for all you have done and for sticking to your guns. Few ever do when pressured!

Apoc

Post by Apoc »

Capitalist wrote:The server will be so much worse off without the crabby, old and true feeling of an OSI GM. You are the yin to so many yang's, and what the last vets remember of a better time. Looks like the trammies who don't know how to make fun for themselves beat you down. So long, guy who helped me when no one else would like 500x, and the only reason I wasn't banned for being a smartass. I'll miss ya and your long talks of greatness on vent, keep in touch.

PS please become a player.
Vet wtf u talking about kid u aint no vet and sory but had too, not really gona say sorry to see you go cos my captain hardcore didnt really like you yarr

Zhaowiedee

Post by Zhaowiedee »

Will all the kaivan bans be lifted?