Disarm and rearm tinker trapped chests

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
dvs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Disarm and rearm tinker trapped chests

Post by dvs »

Hello,

As the title says, i am trying to figure out how to disarm and rearm a tinker trapped chest. I know it is (or should be) possible.

Here is a link to Derrick saying it is possible.
viewtopic.php?p=97250#p97250

Here is a link to a stratics essay from 1999 or earlier that says it is possible.
https://web.archive.org/web/19991116063 ... pessay.htm

You have to trap the chest unlocked. It is armed at that time. If you lock the chest and then unlock it, it is still armed. I have also tried using the lock it and then unlock with a key on a key ring method and it still went off.

I am stumped. I hope someone has an idea of what is going on.
Last edited by dvs on Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rik Smits

Re: Disarm and rearm tinker trapped chests

Post by Rik Smits »

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but as far as I know there are only 2 ways. Open it or use remove trap skill.

Easiest way would be to use telekinesis on it from afar to avoid having it blow up on you or poison you.

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Remove_Trap

dvs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dvs »

The essay from Stratics clearly states it should be possible to arm and disarm the trap.

Rik Smits

Post by Rik Smits »

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to do. You can ARM it with a tinker, and also DISARM it with remove trap skill. There is no off and on switch that you can decide when to arm and and disarm it. It is either trapped, or it is not trapped.

Also the link to the essay didn't work.

dvs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dvs »

Thank you, i updated the link, it is old Frames website and it loaded it in the main frame, but didn't update the main link. I got a direct link on the main post now. Read the essay, it is informative.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

dvs wrote:Hello,

As the title says, i am trying to figure out how to disarm and rearm a tinker trapped chest. I know it is (or should be) possible.

Here is a link to Derrick saying it is possible.
viewtopic.php?p=97250#p97250

Here is a link to a stratics essay from 1999 or earlier that says it is possible.
https://web.archive.org/web/19991116063 ... pessay.htm

You have to trap the chest unlocked. It is armed at that time. If you lock the chest and then unlock it, it is still armed. I have also tried using the lock it and then unlock with a key on a key ring method and it still went off.

I am stumped. I hope someone has an idea of what is going on.
FWIW, neither of Derrick's posts, in that thread you linked, confirm the substance of the Stratics essay:
Derrick wrote:There is a specific patch note from within era that states you'll not receive a murder count for trapping a box if it is done on the floor of your house. This was the only exception that i am aware of in era. There is discussion in other threads about the renowned tinker murderers on the bounty boards in era.
Derrick wrote:Using the key on the box disables the trap, as in era.
I haven't parsed the links that Batlin provided, but nothing he chose to quote confirms the Stratics essay, either.

In this thread, though, Soma supplies a lot of information that commutes with the substance of the Stratics essay: so, what has changed at UOSA since Jan/'09; dvs, did you follow the Stratics essay instructions, exactly?

This statement made me wonder:
dvs wrote:If you lock the chest and then unlock it, it is still armed.
The Stratics essay directs you to do the following:

1. Lock the chest with a naked key: the key must not be on a key-ring; the chest is now both locked, and tapped.
2. Unlock the chest with a valid key that is now on a key-ring: this time around, a key-ring must be used; the chest should be unlocked, but still trapped.

Off the top of my head, if our mechanics are "busted", I would recommend the following to anyone who can do so,

1. Lock & Arm the chest, then
2. Have a Lockpicker pick the lock: the chest will now be unlocked, but with the trap still armed.

This all continues to beg the question of what is live here, and what should be.

SS

P.S. If you wish to both unlock and disarm a trapped chest, I believe you must unlock it with a naked key, not a key-ring.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

dvs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dvs »

I did 3 different tests.

Obviously you must have the box unlocked to trap it. It is active at this time.

I tried using "naked" key to lock it. It won't allow you to open it (obvious) and it won't trigger the trap. (as intended)

I then used a naked key to unlock it. Opening it resulted in death.

I also did a Naked key to lock and a key ring to unlock. This also resulted in death.

The theory was a key on a key ring would not change the armed state of the trap. A naked key would change the state of the trap. Obviously either key ( ring or not) would lock or unlock the chest.

As a note - Derrick's last post in that thread would seem to confirm that a key should arm/disarm traps.
Derrick wrote:
Using the key on the box disables the trap, as in era.

Here is some more background on some changes (patch) Derrick made.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=711
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=721

From Patch 31
Derrick
Tinker trapped boxes will now be actively trapped without having to lockpick first.

dvs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dvs »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
This statement made me wonder:
dvs wrote:If you lock the chest and then unlock it, it is still armed.
The Stratics essay directs you to do the following:

1. Lock the chest with a naked key: the key must not be on a key-ring; the chest is now both locked, and tapped.
2. Unlock the chest with a valid key that is now on a key-ring: this time around, a key-ring must be used; the chest should be unlocked, but still trapped.

Off the top of my head, if our mechanics are "busted", I would recommend the following to anyone who can do so,

1. Lock & Arm the chest, then
2. Have a Lockpicker pick the lock: the chest will now be unlocked, but with the trap still armed.

This all continues to beg the question of what is live here, and what should be.

SS

P.S. If you wish to both unlock and disarm a trapped chest, I believe you must unlock it with a naked key, not a key-ring.

SS

Quote from Stratics essay
Once I use the key, the characteristics of the trapped chest change.

The key will unlock/disable the trap or lock/re-enable the trap.
If the chest is locked and the trap is enabled, a person clicking on it will not die, they get the, "This appears to be locked" message.
If the chest is unlocked and the trap is disabled, a person clicking on it will not die, the chest will simply open.

So you see, using the key makes the trapped chest not blow up on opening anymore.

I just tested out a trapped box. I used the key to lock it and GM detect showed it trapped. I unlocked it with key and detect showed it trapped. It would seem that the key is not disarming the trap as it should.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Well, dvs, it seems as if you have found an issue that requires a era-accuracy/bug report or, at the very least, an explanation.

I'm curious what it could be that has seemingly been changed since Jan/'09.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

dvs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dvs »

I am uploading screencaps from the Demo 98 server i finally got running - holy cow it took forever. Thank you Kaivan for the help he gave (on where to get some of the files).

dvs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dvs »

I took 1 more screen from the Demo. The journal at bottom shows the locking/unlocking of the chest using a key in the ring. As you can see, it does not arm/disarm the trap when using the key on a ring.

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

Nice, i wonder how hard it would be to have this implemented?
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

dvs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dvs »

Doing more screwing around searching old newsgroup archives for evidence to backup the Stratics essay and the behavior i discovered in the UO98 demo server.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.gam ... zY_zdEligJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.gam ... _L4W6Rfw4J

Next thread
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.gam ... y7dfVKBFoJ

Next thread - 2 posts in a row pertain.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.gam ... xZq0GqMOsJ

Here is a reply showing the same functions into 4-12-00 at least.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.gam ... sNoMhia60J

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Nice work dvs. It's motivating to see these discussions picking up again and being lead/pursued by our players.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

dvs
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dvs »

I sure hope this fix is getting a good, serious look at as it is so wrong the implementation we currently have.