Is GM Musicianship needed for a Provoke character?

Topics related to Second Age
otingocni

Is GM Musicianship needed for a Provoke character?

Post by otingocni »

Just GM'ed Provo. Would like to drop some of the GM Musicianship for another skill or all of it. Is it really needed now that I've GM provo? What would happen?

Thank you

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Is GM Musicianship needed for a Provoke character?

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

otingocni wrote:Just GM'ed Provo. Would like to drop some of the GM Musicianship for another skill or all of it. Is it really needed now that I've GM provo? What would happen?

Thank you
Even with GM Music and GM prov you can still fail to provoke something... So if you decrease music skill, you just increase your chance to fail.
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

Rik Smits

Post by Rik Smits »

100 Provo/100 Music = 0% chance to fail.
100 Provo/50 Music = 50% chance to fail.

Basically you add total Provo and Music skill and divide by 2, this will be your overall chance to succeed.

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

Rik Smits wrote:100 Provo/100 Music = 0% chance to fail.
Is that accurate? I could have sworn I failed to provo at least once after GMing both...
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

I don't recall ever failing with my bard (GM Music & Provoke). My understanding is that Music skill + Provoke skill / 2 = chance to succeed, so (100+100)/2=100% chance, whereas (100+50)/2=75% chance to succeed, rather than 50%, as in Rik Smits example.

Rik Smits

Post by Rik Smits »

Correct! 100 Provo/50 Music would be 75 percent chance! Bad math on my part :lol:

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Rik Smits wrote:Correct! 100 Provo/50 Music would be 75 percent chance! Bad math on my part :lol:
My own best understanding is that this is not true.

As per our Wiki Provocation entry, success is bardskill*musicianship, so 100/50 Provo/Music will glean only 50% success chance.

While I have not performed any extensive testing, my own personal experience here very-strongly suggests to me that the Wiki has it right. Indeed, I am certain that Barding skills perform two checks when invoked: the first against musicianship, and the second against the bardskill; failing either ruins the attempt.

A long time ago, I thought that the barding skills were controlled by (bardskill+music)/2, but I had been persuaded that I was wrong.

It's easy enough to test (and maybe I'll get around to it, some day): with 100 Musicianship and 0 Peacemaking, spam Peacemaking; it will fail 100% of the time, or it will succeed c. 50% of the time.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

randale

Post by randale »

Drunk'n Disorder wrote:
otingocni wrote:Just GM'ed Provo. Would like to drop some of the GM Musicianship for another skill or all of it. Is it really needed now that I've GM provo? What would happen?

Thank you
Even with GM Music and GM prov you can still fail to provoke something... So if you decrease music skill, you just increase your chance to fail.
That's never happened to me once. I mean, literally I have never EVER EVER failed to provoke a creature against another with my GM Music and GM Provoke, but then again- I haven't tried it against the hardest creatures in the game, Balrons and Ancient Wyrms.

Ill Gates

Post by Ill Gates »

randale wrote:
Drunk'n Disorder wrote:

Thank you
That's never happened to me once. I mean, literally I have never EVER EVER failed to provoke a creature against another with my GM Music and GM Provoke, but then again- I haven't tried it against the hardest creatures in the game, Balrons and Ancient Wyrms.
Can't fail.

(SaberOwnsVega) i will have better future than u got atm im telling u id be richer for edecational and 10X SMARTER
(SaberOwnsVega) garentee'd

[01:45] == #secondage Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned

Kabup

Post by Kabup »

Does it matter if you train in a house? Or the level of the creature?

I'm macroing provo (a goat against a hind) for 3 hours now, going from 75.2 to 78.5, it seems very slow to me. I'm already GM Music.
Slowly Lord British, ruler of Britannia, rises from his throne. Brushing the dust off of his crown, a concerned realization crosses his face. The rumors are true!

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

I don't think provoke is difficulty based so the level of the creatures doesn't matter.

randale

Post by randale »

Kabup wrote:Does it matter if you train in a house? Or the level of the creature?

I'm macroing provo (a goat against a hind) for 3 hours now, going from 75.2 to 78.5, it seems very slow to me. I'm already GM Music.
I don't think so- to both questions. I GM'd it just by keeping the two animals separate.

Arsen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arsen »

u can fail by balrons, wws, aws etc. u can even fail by normal dragons as 2xGM.

and yea u need both skills gmed.

ps: invis items will be your best friend.
[22:00:50] <@Dupre> arsen isnt raging, hes jsut german, it just sounds taht way
[22:00:58] <@Dupre> hes actually very calm and gentle
[22:03:54] <@Dupre> arsen is also the best player here

randale

Post by randale »

Arsen wrote:u can fail by balrons, wws, aws etc. u can even fail by normal dragons as 2xGM.

want to post a video of a fail? I've never seen it with GM music and GM provoke.

Ill Gates

Post by Ill Gates »

randale wrote:
Arsen wrote:u can fail by balrons, wws, aws etc. u can even fail by normal dragons as 2xGM.

want to post a video of a fail? I've never seen it with GM music and GM provoke.
That's because it can't happen.

(SaberOwnsVega) i will have better future than u got atm im telling u id be richer for edecational and 10X SMARTER
(SaberOwnsVega) garentee'd

[01:45] == #secondage Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned