A complete UO newb looking for some help

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
Quantum

A complete UO newb looking for some help

Post by Quantum »

Hello all, I'm a complete newcomer to this game and the forum as well. I found out about UO by browsing the Darkfall forums (been following that game for a while) and read a lot how players compared Darkfall to it and expecting to find a new UO in it, because as a lot of them said EA has made the game carebear and ruined it with the introduction of "Trammel" - I later found it was a new world where there was no FFA PvP. That's how I got curious about this game. I had no chance of trying UO in it's primetime in 1997 because I was 5 at the time :) (turning 17 in a month) and from what I can tell it was a really amazing game in that time. A few people have told me to look up some free shards that concentrate on the T2A era and I found this one, from what I can see it is a really good shard as it tries to stay as true as possible to how the game looked at that time, so I downloaded the client and thought I'd give it a try.

I had a bit of trouble with the patching cause it kept freezing a lot but after reading a few things here on the forum I eventually got it patched and the game now runs more or less flawlessly. I had no trouble making an account on the server and made a character, but that's exactly where my problems start.
I have absolutely no idea what to do :D I figured out how to move, interact with certain objects, open doors, equip/unequip my stuff, etc. but a lot of things I'm still clueless about. I have navigated around town for a bit, lost some karma for killing a cat, got one-hitted by a wisp outside town :lol: all in all not fairing very well. So if any of you would like to provide a few pointers and answer some of the questions below or point me to a good guide for complete newbs; that would be very helpful.

1. I'd like to make a thief/assassin based character, any good templates out there? What 3 skills should I choose and how to balance it all?
2. Where do I get quests? What can I do to get money early on in the game and get myself some low level armor for a start?
3. When I die, how do I resurrect? This has me absolutely stunted :lol:
4. How do I send tells to other players?

That's it for now, but I'd really appreciate some good guide so I don't have to post every single question here. It would be of great help.
Thanks, and I hope to see you all ingame.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: A complete UO newb looking for some help

Post by Teknix »

Quantum wrote: 1. I'd like to make a thief/assassin based character, any good templates out there? What 3 skills should I choose and how to balance it all?
2. Where do I get quests? What can I do to get money early on in the game and get myself some low level armor for a start?

1. start w/ stealing and magery (50/50)
2. quests are currently disabled, but i believe they will be brought back soon. other issues & problems need to be taken care of currently.
3. look for a healer shack in each town (with a golden ankh sign) or wandering healers in brown hued robes throughout the world
4. you can type in game and chat w/ people. you can also invite people into a party (using the scroll in your paper doll) and chat privately. a lot of people chat in the mIRC channel, so that is probably the best way to communicate w/ people.

Welcome to the server!
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Quantum wrote:
1. I'd like to make a thief/assassin based character, any good templates out there? What 3 skills should I choose and how to balance it all?
1. Check the stealing wiki entry. Some of it is out of date, especially concerning flagging, but the templates are still solid. I would start with 50 magery and 50 resist. Stealing is little slow to raise, but free. There really isn't any viable assassin in this game. You can make a thief that PvPs but it won't be like you stealth up and get a backstab in. And you can't outright murder someone without losing your membership in the thieves guild, which is necessary to steal from others.

2. Mine and sell ingots. Make a bard and kill monsters in low traffic areas. Collect cotton and sell cloth. Fish up, cook and sell fishsteaks.

3. Find a wandering healer or shrine. They will do it. Players with enough mager or healing can do so as well.

4. There is no such thing as sending a tell in this game. Use IRC.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I am on a vacation for a few weeks, and my character is new (I just started playing again after an 8 year break!) But I know all the ins and outs of T2A. Drop me a PM of some time your going to be online and a place and I'll help you get started.

whoa its shan

Post by whoa its shan »

PM me and i'll help you out. I just made a thief a couple days ago and almost GM'd stealing already (along with other skills).

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

NO PM ME ILL HELP YOU OUT.

Arcott Ramathorn

Post by Arcott Ramathorn »

Not sure about an assassin character, but, my thief has GM:Hiding(Hides your character in place), Stealth(lets you walk while you remain hidden), Snooping(look into others bags), Stealing(self explainatory), Detect Hidden(reveals other hidden players), tracking(gives you directions to other specific players),Lockpicking(opens locked chests)

The game was never really "quest" based. Although there are many things to do. You can go to dungeons but you will prolly get frustrated by more experienced pkers. Start at the Cemetery, most towns have them nearby and they are full of low level creatures like zombies and skeletons. Bank your gold often and sell all items you find, like boots, bottles, bags, gems and weapons etc. Skeletons drop bone armor in abundance which is perfect for new players but it breaks easy. Just keep replacing your pieces as you find them.

3. When I die, how do I resurrect? This has me absolutely stunted

Every town has a healer in a building like this: notice the symbol on the sign by the door.

Other places include Shrines, which are more helpfull if you happen to die near them or are a criminal because they will ressurect anyone including Greys(theives and assorted aggressors) and Reds(Murderers). Also there are healers that wander all around the world but they are random and, like police, are never around when you want or need them.

No tells. Use IRC, AIM, or just type onscreen to other players. There used to be a chat room feature but it is missing on the shard i think.(I might have to bring that up somewhere, its era accurate.)

I just noticed how long ago this post is from...anyone know how this guy made out?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Unfortunately this guys last login was about 3 hours after this post was made on March 1.

This is really one of the problems with UO in general, learning the game is difficult. The player companion program, which has been stepped up somewhat over the last month has done a lot to help people who are new to UO get oriented. For the shard community to continue to thrive over the long haul, an influx of new players is necessary; finding ways to best help these players learn the game is important.

Arcott Ramathorn

Post by Arcott Ramathorn »

Let me at those nubs, Derrick. I'll have them playing this game as horribly as i do in no time!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

Derrick wrote:Unfortunately this guys last login was about 3 hours after this post was made on March 1.

This is really one of the problems with UO in general, learning the game is difficult. The player companion program, which has been stepped up somewhat over the last month has done a lot to help people who are new to UO get oriented. For the shard community to continue to thrive over the long haul, an influx of new players is necessary; finding ways to best help these players learn the game is important.

Your right people don't want to play a MMORPG when they cant find any people to play with.

Xavier

Post by Xavier »

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR wrote:
Derrick wrote:Unfortunately this guys last login was about 3 hours after this post was made on March 1.

Your right people don't want to play a MMORPG when they cant find any people to play with.
There are two things that make helping true newbies 'hard' :

The first has already been pointed out here: Often times they never log back in, and your efforts were basically wasted.

The second is the sheer amount of time that it takes to help someone. I spent well over an hour the other day helping someone learn how to mine and smelt in Brit, how to do trades, use the bank, stable/claim pets, make a simple Razor macro, etc.

Throwing gold at TRUE newbies is the easy party... it's the time sink and having patience that is the hard part IMO.

Chumpbucket

Post by Chumpbucket »

I am new as well could someone help me. I want to make a thief too. :mrgreen: