Suggestion on the direction we should take for PvP

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Suggestion on the direction we should take for PvP

Post by malice-tg »

Jaster wrote:What I know about PvP during T2A based on memory and research about the era:

*Spell Casting Times [i.e. 1.75s to cast a 6th circle spell]
*Spell Interruption [i.e. having a harm interrupt a greater heal]
*Self-Disrupt [i.e. equip a weapon mid cast to make yourself fizzle]
*Spell Damage Delays [i.e. 1 second delay on lightning/e-bolt]
*Insta-Hit
*Fast casting was the only way to “spam” spells, and it could only be 2 spells in a row, not a 3rd or more.
*You could not stand toe to toe with another player during T2A and trade 2 second halberd hits.
*No one spammed Attack Last or Tab during the era. [this is not to say it could not happen, but it didn’t on Atlantic where I played]
*Being disrupted meant by spells made the recast time longer.
*The main damage came from magery [from mages] and weapons [from townies/dexers]
*Hally Mages were the most powerful mage spec of the era, but Archery, Macing, and Fencing were not unheard of to have. They were also very good and able to play in a 1v1 or group setting just as effective.
*Most townies/dexers had parry even though it was very difficult to GM because it absorbed and blocked a lot of damage from melee hits. They also used Order/Chaos Shields because they were free and gave a good amount of armor.
*Fencing was the weapon of choice for most townies/dexers because the kryss/warfork/short spear/long spear options gave fast swings and more damage on average than any other weapon class.

This is some of what I remember and have researched about the era. Currently on UOSA, we have a lot of players and staff who are unsure about certain things because we don’t have enough information about them to pin point their numerical accuracy. We have a lot of players who disagree with certain things involving the way PvP works here, and are tired of hearing the same quotes over and over again from Faust. We hear them so much yet no one cares tbh. They don’t care because of the manner in which he reports his information … like we are all idiots for thinking otherwise. A lot of information that Faust as well as other researchers on this shards mechanics has been great, but there is still a lot that is up in the air. I believe a lot of the “flaws” seem to stick out because we are mixing correct mechanics with incorrect mechanics, and what is happening is those that are incorrect are being abused and show up that much more. I understand that it is difficult to just fix everything in 1 shot and have it be correct … hell its probably impossible without Designer Dragon handing over his notes.

My suggestion is that we as a server …. Players, researchers, admin … take what we know for sure, numbers aside [only because we have extra interference that we can not change, i.e. razor, faster connections, multiple clients] and create mechanics that are not against accuracy, but feel correct.
For example: We know certain things for sure, yet others we are unsure about only because not all information is easily found with the numbers next to it. We know that the spell times are correct, the damage delays are correct, but you could not spell spam unless spells were fast casted … so lets work at trying to get a reasonable time to make it feel correct. We also know that you would never see 2 tank mages standing toe to toe during t2a tab spamming and attack last hally hitting every 2 seconds … so lets work on making a system that supports insta-hit but doesn’t allow this because it never happened [even if it was possible]

Discuss.
im with you on spell interuption delays.. but for the rest... unfortunately i think if it was "possible" but didnt happen on one server doesnt mean we should "fix it" or change it. i know that if you fought a guild from a different part of the world they could show you new ways to do things that you never thought of... think asian guild pvp.

i know that i "did" spam attack last as a "uo" macro on my dexer to mess with mages insta hits...and i did it on my tank as needed. if anything we should look at the code for auto defend and make sure its possible to induce auto defend infinitely as long as the player defending can actually swing/punch. this would remove the two mages standing next to each other hitting a little unless they both wanted to :P

i also always tabbed on my mage during ebolts.. so much that when i came here ( never on a free shard) i was doing it when we didnt even have autodefend as a reflex that i couldnt explain once i thought about it.

i know that there was some delay if you got interuptd casted a spell... i think thats the main problem we have right now.

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

i spoke to one of my guildmaster in t2a a few days ago auto deffend feature is deffently correct here

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Finesse wrote:i spoke to one of my guildmaster in t2a a few days ago auto deffend feature is deffently correct here
oooooh sweeeeeeet what else can he confirm for us?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Faust

Post by Faust »

Hemperor quit responding in a thread if you have nothing to add to it.

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

prolly that hes glad he didnt have idiots like you in his guild hemp

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Finesse wrote:prolly that hes glad he didnt have idiots like you in his guild hemp
Not only are you incapable of putting any sort of sentence together, you are also incapable of making a legitimate point. Big threads like these that will only solve or make further discussion upon evidence...and then you claim your GM from 98 said something so something must certainly work that way.

Not only that, you create the exact same topic right after Loops had already done so.

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

no hemp you are totaly wrong.

the two points i posted no one disagrees with your opinion doesnt count you didnt even play uo then.

the auto attack theory has been proven more than discounted

Faust

Post by Faust »

Hemp,

What is the difference between purple dragons not existing because you couldn't find anything to disprove it on google, stratics, or in the patch notes compared to him asking his previous Guild Master? Your researching abilities have already went down the shitter and were flushed a long time ago... I wouldn't even attempt to try and discredit anyone after that sad/poor excuse for researching by yourself.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Faust wrote:Hemp,

What is the difference between purple dragons not existing because you couldn't find anything to disprove it on google, stratics, or in the patch notes compared to him asking his previous Guild Master? Your researching abilities have already went down the shitter and were flushed a long time ago... I wouldn't even attempt to try and discredit anyone after that sad/poor excuse for researching by yourself.
Anything I have ever reasearched, suggested etc. has NEVER been discredited. Please link or quote one thing?

And I have certainly done my fair share.

Faust

Post by Faust »

What have you researched again?

Senses

Post by Senses »

I thought I'd take a moment to summarize this very important post Loops started on the "Suggestions on the direction we should take for PvP" so that anyone can jump right in without having to read through the details.

*Everything Loops said is wrong -Faust.
*Look at me, I'm Hemporer -Hemporer
*I hate Hemporer and I'm a better fact checker than he is -Faust
*I hate Hemporer too -Finesse.

As you can see, very productive, keep up the good work.

HarryB

Post by HarryB »

Cortez wrote:
Jaster wrote:The only reason I will agree with the disrupts is because if you were to put it disrupts like divinity where harm always disrupts and all weapon hits always disrupt .... add in the disrupt delay from test center along with fastcasting actually working, and a dexer will run right through a mage everytime ... it will become a disrupt era.

Harm not being 100% as well as a hally/katana allowed the disrupt delay to be what it was ... it was a dice roll just like everything else in the era.
Dexxer, if they got toe to toe, did run through a mage every time if they had an ounce of skill. They didnt' disrupt with every hit, but you were basically toast if you tried to stand up to a dexxer with 100 or 120 stamina and a fast weapon. In town? You could forget about it having a better than 50% chance of making it out with your regs if a dexxer locked on you.

There is no doubt, however, that Tank Mages were powerful out of town and the odds were turned against a dexxer. However, if you survived the mana dump and avoided a heavy hit, then the odds turned quickly away.

Most people seem to remember a severe dominace of the tank mage and pull up everything they can to show how l33t they were but the fact is that in '99 it was very rare to have GM resist, especially for dexxers. So... you exp ebolt hally most sheild carriers and they would fall with their 60 resist. You meet one with 80s or 90s resist and then all of a sudden it was a different situation. I know, my townie had 92 resist and was bad ass for the time.

The fear of a dexxer DOES NOT EXIST HERE. I am pretty much sick of watching naked mages survive a full on toe to toe melee attack. It's not right, not correct, and totally unbalanced. Mini heals coudn't be interrupted, but a greater heal could and most of the times did get interrupted with high stamina and a fast kryss or daggar.

NO ONE had a template that was superior in every situation and it's about time that it gets looked at for repair here.

1) This is why Renaissance introduced special melee hits, before that you had to carry AT LEAST a force+accuracy weapon and crazy amounts of potions to have a prayer.
2) Poison wins. Try beating a tank mages face in with an accuracy bonus power/vanq spear while repoisoning in action. They will spend most of their time healing/curing and if you're at least partially sentient when they do launch an offensive you can react. Magery helps to survive, but be careful with no wrestling. If you have female anatomy do hiding.