Couple of Questions from a newb

Topics related to Second Age
Festus

Couple of Questions from a newb

Post by Festus »

Flax and cotton fields. Do they exist?
Is there a way to cut cloth other than one at a time? When cloth is stacked it only makes one bandage at a time.
Gold farm for newb characters? Gy? Other ideas? Farm resources?
Fastest way to earn a house. I need somewhere to put stuff besides in bank where i get stolen from regularly. hehe (stealing from newbs)
Thanks for info in advance. UO Second age is good. Almost Old school.

violator
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Couple of Questions from a newb

Post by violator »

Flax and cotton fields. Do they exist?

Yes. Others may know the best spots.

Is there a way to cut cloth other than one at a time? When cloth is stacked it only makes one bandage at a time.

I just macro this; it goes pretty fast, but still one at a time.

Gold farm for newb characters? Gy? Other ideas? Farm resources?

A bard is a pretty quick/easy way to get cash. I was able to survive/make money in Shame farming air elementals with a pretty weak bard for example.

Fastest way to earn a house. I need somewhere to put stuff besides in bank where i get stolen from regularly. hehe (stealing from newbs)

Join a guild that offers housing, otherwise see above about farming
Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.

Festus

Post by Festus »

wow,,,went to ocllo and found 7 cotton plants. No chance to "farm"cotton there. Isnt there somewhere that cotton and flax grows in large fields or am I getting senile?

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Sheep pens as well

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Hi, Festus.

Using your newb characters to accumulate a little "starting wealth" can be done in a number of ways.

1. A newb Tailor can harvest flax/cotton, and shear sheep, then make cloth, and then can make skullcaps (and/or fancy shirts if starting with 50 Tailoring) to sell to NPC tailors; as well, with 50 Tailoring, any leather you find can be made into shoes to sell to NPC Cobblers (I think there is one such NPC in every Provisioner's shop).

Harvesting sources of cloth for money doesn't even need a Tailor (but a Tailor making clothes & shoes is more profitable ...), any character can shear sheep & gather flax/cotton, and turn those resources into bolts of cloth. Here's how you make cloth, if you don't know:

Cloth is cloth, but the mechanics differ slightly between flax/cotton and wool, so,

A. wool
A1. use any bladed item (but not scissors) on an unshorn sheep to retrieve a bundle of wool; the animal will regenerate its wool after 1 UO day. Do NOT attack and kill the sheep, simply use a blade on it to get the wool.
A2. use a spinning wheel to turn 1 bundle of wool into 3 balls of yarn.
A3. use a loom to turn 5 balls of yarn into 1 bolt of cloth.

B. flax/cotton
B1. run around and gather the stuff. I think it regenerates after 1 UO day.
B2. use a spinning wheel to turn 1 bale/bundle into 6 spools of thread.
B3. use a loom to turn 5 spools of thread into 1 bolt of cloth.

reference: Archived Stratics Table

Another good method is the 50/50 bowyer/lumberjack: you will retrieve wood readily, and regular bows (easy to make) can be very profitable and easy to sell.

reference: Archived Stratics Bowcraft Essay

Other folks have mentioned how economical and easy it is to skill-up a bard: a basic provocation bard will be able to make money almost anywhere, without the risk of losing a lot of valuable equipment to any PKer.

It sounds to me like you are rolling up your sleeves: good luck!

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

When I started, I made a dexxer thief.. farmed liches with silver weapons, while macroing up my provoke/mage
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Festus

Post by Festus »

Boondock_Saint wrote:When I started, I made a dexxer thief.. farmed liches with silver weapons, while macroing up my provoke/mage
do you mind clueing me in your method to train your dexer?
Seems that town pks make it a bit of a long process while training my provo dexer in provocation skill. After a week Im at 40ish provo. Town killed while im afk regularly slows it down a bit.

Festus

Post by Festus »

Boondock_Saint wrote:When I started, I made a dexxer thief.. farmed liches with silver weapons, while macroing up my provoke/mage
Seems that town pks make it a bit of a long process while training my provo dexer in provocation skill. After a week Im at 40ish provo. Town killed while im afk regularly slows it down a bit.

Ben420Womp

Post by Ben420Womp »

get a small house couple of tables and trap sheep on each side and macro provoking. you will get much further then macroing it in town

Ben420Womp

Post by Ben420Womp »

get a small house couple of tables and trap sheep on each side and macro provoking. you will get much further then macroing it in town

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

Festus wrote:

Use a NPC paladin.. have an alt account healing.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Yew

Post by Yew »

Macroing provocation at the Moonglow Zoo is always a sound bet. You still can be town killed, but the area tends to be less traveled than many other areas.

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Yew wrote:Macroing provocation at the Moonglow Zoo is always a sound bet. You still can be town killed, but the area tends to be less traveled than many other areas.
Yes, this is probably the best location, although you still can/will be town-killed if afk.

Re: Provo-dexxer, please look at Other Professions (you will need to be logged-in to these Forums), Skald, but also Gypsy; Gypsy is probably the easiest/cheapest to actually field, but training Archery would be a necessary (and, perhaps, difficult/pricey) prerequisite.

Below, I'll describe in some detail how to macro any melee weapon skill off of a hired NPC (a la remarks from Boondock_Saint). I also know a method of efficiently and safely raising Archery (you'd need either me, or another of your own accounts plus my method): I would demand that you supply your own bows and arrows (and/or buy them from me, lol) but, otherwise, I would only ask some absurdly-trivial fee for providing the service.

How to hire an NPC to raise melee skills (there does exist a guide, here, somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look for it):

Prerequisite(s):
1. a(nother) Player Character who can heal the NPC and keep him/her alive: with adequate skill in Healing, this can be done by the Character who is gaining weapon skill.
2. a secluded spot that has a long table: yes, this can be done inside of a Guard-Zone, without doing anything that will get you Guard-Whacked.

Okay, here we go.

1. Ensure the existence of the prerequisites.
2. The PC that wishes to train the skill must hire an NPC fighter/paladin (paladins are better: they can be found in Jhelom/Delucca); pay the NPC and say, "all follow me".
3. Travel to the training site.
4. On one side of the table, with the NPC in the middle, say, "all stay".
5. Run around the table to a spot opposite the NPC.
6. Say, "all guard me", and use the Hiding skill (or have that other PC cast Invisibility on you).
7. Position the PC that will be Healing the NPC.
8. While invisible, equip dagger/butcher-knife/wand (depending on desired skill); when ready, go into Combat mode and double-click the NPC; do nothing else.
9. Say, "all stay" (you will become un-invisible, but the NPC should still be immobile).
10. Run around the table to a tile adjacent to the NPC: you should start swinging at him/her, but without the NPC fighting back.
11. Sit back and gain skill; don't let the NPC die; if he/she does, hire another and repeat.

If you have questions, ask here, or PM me.

Roy Batty says, "If you don't get it up, I'm gonna have to kill ya!"

Cheers.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.