Lock Picking Problem

Topics related to Second Age
Haz

Lock Picking Problem

Post by Haz »

Howdy Folks,

So here's my problem.

Lockpicking is at 75/73.4 base. I have a box that is 50 carp and 51 tinker, and I'm getting no gains. I have a GM box that was given to me and when I try to use it I get the 'You dont see how the lock can be manipulated". I have about 170 points turned down. I know I need 76 to use the GM box.

What am I missing??

Thanks folks,
Haz

PS, since writing this I am gaining in carto with no changes to arrows on skills.

Orion GM B^D

Re: Lock Picking Problem

Post by Orion GM B^D »

On the first question regarding LPing gains.

You need a box made by a 70ish tinker.
That box will get you to the mid 70's to move on to the GM box to
about 94ish. Then you will have to go dungeon stealthing LVL 4
chests to get to gm LPing.

On the 2nd question regarding gaining cartography.

You must have either room to still get to 700 cap, or there is at least
one skill arrow down to allow gains in another skill.

Ill look and see if I have an extra 70 box and pm you
WiseOne wrote:I don't log on often, but when I do, I shop at Trinny Stone Vendors!
Trinny Stone Vendors
@Trinsic Moongate/Est. 6-2-12

Haz

Post by Haz »

Ahhhhhhh, I see said the blind man.

Thanks for the info, I was going by this statement...."First off, you'll need a 30/30 tinker box - 30 tinkering and 30 carpentry. A 50/50 tinker box and a GM made tinker box". My bad. Thanks for clearing it up, now to find the correct box, and if you do have one, it would be greatly appreciated.

As too the Carto comment, I was using that comment to show that I was gaining with no changes made to the up or down arrows on skills, kinda to show they were set correctly. Carto is coming along just fine, slow, but fine, lol.

Haz

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

I know for a fact that I did not need a 70ish box to train Lockpicking: I used a 50/50 box, and then changed-in a GM box to train to 95.0 ability.

So, Haz, I'm maybe wondering about your Dex score: my Treasure Hunter is a Mage, and has never had >25 Dex; I do not remember but I might have actually locked my Dex @ 10 while training-up Lockpicking ...

Do you have any Detect Hidden? I may have had 60.0 Detect Hidden when I changed to the GM box; again, I don't remember.

Our Wiki specifies 76.0 Ability before switching to a GM box (and, while I don't remember, 76 "chimes" in my memory more than 75 does): are you trying to switch from 50/50 box to GM box too soon?

Alternatively, and I appreciate that this might be a pain, but, if nothing else works: use the lower-level dungeon chests: with 60.0 Detect Hidden, you should be able to crack Lvls 2&3 and gain skill; many of the Lvl 4 sites also have one or more Lvls 2-3.

I hope I've said something that helps.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

I may be getting another method of LPing from a different shards ruleset regarding the 70 box.

That being said, if you aren't getting any gains off the 50\50 box,
go ahead and set up the macro on the GM box. Even if your getting the
'You dont see how the lock can be manipulated" let it run and
see after that if you get gains. Its been so long I don't remember the
message on a failed attempt.
WiseOne wrote:I don't log on often, but when I do, I shop at Trinny Stone Vendors!
Trinny Stone Vendors

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

This will help you Haz

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27998

Shoot me a PM when your at 95 and Ill make you a copy
of the LVL 4 chests that will take you to GM
Trinny Stone Vendors

violator
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by violator »

Pretty sure I just used a 50/50 box until I got to where I could use the GM box too.

I have a few of those if you need one. I made a bunch before I binned the character.
Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.

Haz

Post by Haz »

Thanks folks, appreciate the info and will see if I can put it to good use. I'm getting ready to run into town (we live in the mountains and are expecting snow, so I wanna go into town...just for the hell of it, lol) and will setup the LP macro for the GM box and see what happens. I ran the 50/50 macro for over an hour with no gains, so I'll try the GM.

Orion, thanks for the link, thats where I got my info originally, but with my 50/50 (and I know it's 50/50 cause I made it), I seem to be stuck at 75. Who knows, I'll try it again when I get home.

I'll let ya know what happens

Haz

Haz

Post by Haz »

SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:I know for a fact that I did not need a 70ish box to train Lockpicking: I used a 50/50 box, and then changed-in a GM box to train to 95.0 ability.

So, Haz, I'm maybe wondering about your Dex score: my Treasure Hunter is a Mage, and has never had >25 Dex; I do not remember but I might have actually locked my Dex @ 10 while training-up Lockpicking ...
My dex is at 25, and I'm a Bard Mage.
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote: Do you have any Detect Hidden? I may have had 60.0 Detect Hidden when I changed to the GM box; again, I don't remember.
ZERO Detect
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote: Our Wiki specifies 76.0 Ability before switching to a GM box (and, while I don't remember, 76 "chimes" in my memory more than 75 does): are you trying to switch from 50/50 box to GM box too soon?
I'm trying something....anything to get me off of 75, I seem to be kinda stuck, and yeah, 76 would be the actual place to switch to GM box.
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
Alternatively, and I appreciate that this might be a pain, but, if nothing else works: use the lower-level dungeon chests: with 60.0 Detect Hidden, you should be able to crack Lvls 2&3 and gain skill; many of the Lvl 4 sites also have one or more Lvls 2-3.

I hope I've said something that helps.

SS
Ahh, pain or no pain, I play the game, and I enjoy playing my bard in the dungeons, it's just fun!

Thanks my friend.

Haz

SighelmofWyrmgard

Haz wrote:
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote: Our Wiki specifies 76.0 Ability before switching to a GM box (and, while I don't remember, 76 "chimes" in my memory more than 75 does): are you trying to switch from 50/50 box to GM box too soon?
I'm trying something....anything to get me off of 75, I seem to be kinda stuck, and yeah, 76 would be the actual place to switch to GM box.
I'd suggest running your Razor macro with the 50/50 box overnight, just to see what you might see the following morning: the "challenge level" of the 50/50 box will be almost trivial, so gains can be expected to be frustratingly slow, but not non-existent. If you don't have a "safe house" of your own yet, I'd be happy to co-own you to an empty, private small, and let you have at it.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Haz

Post by Haz »

Appreciate the offer, but was able to place a patio last week so thats taken care of (love my bard, he paid for it).

As to macroing overnight....that would be near impossible, cause, diconnects. Sometimes I can go for a few hrs with no discos, and other times, 15-30 minutes. Average is probably 1-2 discos per hour, and nothing I've tried has aletered that. Everything is running in compat mode and as admin.

I have been running the 50/50 for about 4 hrs on and off, with a few breaks (discos) and have no gains, but I'm gonna keep trying. I ran the GM box, as was suggested to try, for a little over an hr this morning....no changes.

My carp/tinker is now at 54/64, so who knows, I'll make a new box and see if the higher skill levels help. I will continue this skill leveling until I go nuts or my LP goes up, whichever happens first LOL.

Thanks for all the assists folks and if ya think of anything else let me know. I'll keeo ya informed.

Haz

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

This may be obvious, but double check that your char has points to go up in skill.

It doesn't make any sense why you stopped gaining at 75 and not able to gain on GM box.

What is the [real] number shown? Base will be the actual number of skill, not value.

Its possible Sig of right and you'll just have to run the 50/50 box until you get to 76 [real].

I also wonder why your getting disconnect so much. Is it a dialup/wifi/cable connection?

Good to hear your in a nice crib, patios are very useful. Keep your home security tight.
Trinny Stone Vendors

Haz

Post by Haz »

YeeeeHawwww,

So, I worked some more on my carp/tinker, he's at 59/69. Made a new box and like magic, the bard is gaining. He's gained .5 in less than 10 minutes of picking.

At 75.6 (he's gaining quickly) real is 74.0, sorry, didn't look at real before I made the new box and started the macro.

As to my connection.....I'm in the mountains of NorCal. We have one provider of service, Sebastian, and we are one of 200 that have optic cable in the area. We have the fastest service in the area, lol, a whole 20 MEG, and should work fine but doesn't. Sebastian is responsible for half of the discos, I'm sorry, I should have made that clearer in my post about the discos. Supposedly, this month, some changes are being made to address that problem. we will see how it goes after their changes.

As to the patio, thanks. I've always had a patio/smithy, or a tower and, for me, I find they serve very well.

So in the time it has taken me to write this, I'm at 76.5 in LP, 75 real. So I'm not sure what the problem was, but it doesn't appear to be a problem now.

Thanks for all the help folks, appreciate it.

Haz

SighelmofWyrmgard

Hey, I'm glad to hear you've bypassed your "speedbump".

Otherwise, for anyone who might check-out this thread for advice, or if Haz has any desire/need to do this again, I'll include another possible strategy:

From "go", lock Dex at 10, and then spam that 50/50 box until Ability is ~75ish (at this point, Real Skill should be 74+). Next, unlock Dex, and spam a musical instrument: at some point (and, I am sure, long before 100 Dex) Ability should exceed 76.0 and, once that happens, a GM box should be accessible; spam the GM box until Real Skill is at least 76.0, and then do whatever you like with your (now irrelevant) inflated Dex, while continuing to spam the GM box for Lockpicking gains.

Good luck to all.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS

Haz

Post by Haz »

Thanks Siggy,

Well, in the time it took to watch my first episode of "Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective" (53 minutes) my LP is now 81.9 using the box I created this morning. I'll switch to a GM box when gains slow.

Thanks again folks,

Haz
BTW, the bard's name is Parrot. Say hi if ya see him in game.