Lockpicking

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
MRGrimm

Re: Lockpicking

Post by MRGrimm »

I gotta be honest... I don't remember this taking so much back in the day myself.

95 -> 100 is unreal. It's like pulling teeth to get in the dungeon, see the level 4's, and yeah gain NOTHING.

It seems a little extreme =/

MRGrimm

Post by MRGrimm »

What about instituting Detect Hiding like the Wiki?

That way it makes a level 5pickable with high DH and Lp...

Shea

Post by Shea »

RoadKill wrote:
Cortez wrote:How much for this kit?

Also, what template would you suggest for a LPer?
Lockpicking
Cartgraphy
Magery
Meditation
Wrestling
Music
Provocation

or if you want to be the "dungeon runner" type..

Magery
Meditation
Wrestling
Hiding
Stealth
Lockpicking
Remove Trap

I went with resist over wrestling since lvl 4 and 5 maps have a lot of casters. GM wrestling isnt going to help much if you get hit by Daemons/OLs etc. At least I can resist some spells while running around and provoing everything.
[15:52] <Rocks> in sheer poundage Neil Diamond has made more woman horny than KISS/David Lee Roth/The Beatles and The Rolling Stones

Shea

Post by Shea »

MRGrimm wrote:What about instituting Detect Hiding like the Wiki?

That way it makes a level 5pickable with high DH and Lp...
My only concern is that it will be too easy to do lvl 5 maps since you can macro LP to 95. Im really not saying that LP should be super easy to GM. Im just saying that the current skill gain rate is definitely too slow. I like that people will have to find the lvl 4 chests and go to dungeons to GM it, but doing almost 50 lvl 4 chests without a skill gain, which is about 3 full runs, is just too slow. As I said before, others have told me it gets even worse after 98..... as many as 100 chests with no gain. There is no way it was that slow on OSI.
[15:52] <Rocks> in sheer poundage Neil Diamond has made more woman horny than KISS/David Lee Roth/The Beatles and The Rolling Stones

platy

Post by platy »

It was definately slower on OSI considering 100's of people would be getting to the chests before you..
Like I said, it took me months to GM it-- I would pick 50 chests within a few days.. sometimes my gains would be 3-4 days inbetween.. It's slow, but it does go up- don't stress it man you'll get there- i promise.. I know you can't wait to do LVL 5's but once you've done all your maps and got all the loot you need- then what? I'm at that point and there's almost nothing else for me to do on this shard.
o.O

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I just got to 99.8 and I have to say, lockpicking feels much faster than on OSI during T2A.

Michael Malloy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Michael Malloy »

I've also noticed, much like a lot of other skills on this shard, that lockpicking gains in bursts. I gained .2 on 2 chests the other day, and .5 the whole day overall, to put me at 97.2. Haven't gained in a day, and I'd be willing to bet I gain .3-.5 tomorrow if I do a handful of runs. The downtime in between the gains makes the overall difficulty seem harrowing, but considering I've been picking on/off for 2 weeks and gotten that 2.2, its not THAT bad.

And like platy says, once you get there, all those level 5s become instant money. The only risk involved in T2A monster AI (or lack thereof). Free money/items, basically, and a lot of them.

MRGrimm

Post by MRGrimm »

Have you guys been gaining recently??
No word of a lie I've picked over 20 lvl4's, and have not gained a single point.

did something change? I understand its going to take a while, but NO movement at all is a little extreme...

and yes I have skill room.

bobjohnson

Post by bobjohnson »

Lockpicking was without a doubt the most difficult skill to GM on OSI. I remember it being so rare to actually find someone who could pick level 5 tmap chests. The one guy i ended up taking with me a lot on my cartographer told me it took him over a year to GM his skill, and i believe it. It was ridiculous how many chests you had to pick in dungeons.

Shea

Post by Shea »

MRGrimm wrote:Have you guys been gaining recently??
No word of a lie I've picked over 20 lvl4's, and have not gained a single point.

did something change? I understand its going to take a while, but NO movement at all is a little extreme...

and yes I have skill room.
It takes a lot more than 20 chests sometimes. Ive picked 50-60 chests without a skill gain. Im currently at 99.9 and I spent6 hours picking level 4 chests and didnt get to 100. Yeah... this skill is tough. The gentleman above gave us a solid idea of what it was like back on OSI, so if anything I think Matron was right in saying that the gain might be too fast on this server.

Lajon

Post by Lajon »

I was proactive enough to GM Lockpicking on OSI before they made it difficulty-based. At the time, you could GM Lockpicking on any lockable box.

After spending a few days looking for level 4 chests and doing it the hard way with minimal gains, I wish I had the same opportunity here.

Can anyone comment on how many level 4 chest spawns there are and how quickly they respawn? I've found about a dozen so far and they seem to take an hour or two to respawn.

Blackhaggie

Post by Blackhaggie »

Just keep at it. I just gm'd my lockpicking recently and I believe the speed of gains is correct. Not every skill in the game should be macroable to 100 so just suck it up and keep picking. It is well worth it. Devious maps rock hard.