Proposed mechanics changes for era consistency.

News and Announcements
Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Proposed mechanics changes for era consistency.

Post by Mephistopheles »

* %Chance=(10000 + ((PoisonStrength * 1750) - (Magery * 75))) / 100

DP = 4x1750= 7,000
GM Magery = 100x75= 7,500
Apprentice Magery = 50x75= 3,750

(10,000 + -500) / 100 = 95% @ GM
(10,000 + 3,250) / 100 = 132.5% @ Apprentice Newbie?

If % Chance is = to (10,000 + [5x1750 - 100x75]) / 100
Then:
Level 5 Poison = 112.5% for GM Mages...

Let's try level 5 for Apprentice Mages.

15,000 / 100 = 150%

I might be doing something wrong.

venox

Post by venox »

nope your math is correct.
im guess they base is on the absolute value of poison-magery thingy and take that away from the 10000.
which gives a 50%mage 67.50% success.

but 95%success rate. oo wha wee wha!

venox

Post by venox »

but wait that still doesnt make sense cause
if
DP = 4x1750= 7,000
and if you make magery give the same value as DP of 7000
magery = 7000/75=93.3%
thus a 93.3% mage has a 100%success rate while a gm one has less!

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I think the magery poison curing formula is perhaps the least fact supported portion of the proposed patch.

The proposed formula is way off and I certainly do not recall anything close to a 95% success rate for deadly poison for a GM mage. That is ridiculous.

I know it took several attempts for people to cure my deadly poisoned blades through magic. Many many many gm mages died when trying to cure through my GM Poison Tinker traps.

This change to the magery cure formula is completely off base and creates an imbalance that did not exist on OSI. What is being proposed is an ability to cure deadly poison by a GM mage in less than 2 seconds what takes a GM Healer AND GM Anatomy player 18 seconds to cure??? Seriously?

HI IM MIKE

Post by HI IM MIKE »

Derrick -

Good patch overall (really glad to see check are being removed).

Three things, all related to CTF:

1) Personally, I really dont care if you remove trophies from CTF or DD. However, I do think that these are a certain motivating factor to attending events. Maybe introduce a halfpoint trohpy or something to substantially reduce the value of "First place" CTF trohpies and/or simply reduce the amount of CTF's each week. As a relatively new player to your shard I can safely say that I don't think trohpies are causing people to play unfairly (not sure what's considered unfair here).

2) Flags should not return to the base upon death, nor should there be no timer on flag resets. This is absurd considering the size (attendance) of most CTFs. A simple spell zerg will often kill even good healers/teams and not having the opportunity to retrieve the flag upon death would simply make keeping a flag next to impossible. (unless you have a locked defense - which 9/10 times doesn't happen due to retards). Also, the ability to refresh a flag is a huge tactical advantage and more often than not creates a need for stronger offense (i.e. returning your flag).

3) Guild affiliation should absolutely be 'considered' in team assortment. I wouldn't play these events if I didn't have my guild there with me. Theres far too many retarded spastics running around doing stupid shit to make it worth while. It's a comfort knowing that you'll at least have a few guildes who know what their doing to help out.

aXe

Post by aXe »

What about the stablemaster in player towns being invulnerable? Can we have a deeper look into this please.

UnknownLord

Post by UnknownLord »

HI IM MIKE wrote:Derrick -

Good patch overall (really glad to see check are being removed).

Three things, all related to CTF:

1) Personally, I really dont care if you remove trophies from CTF or DD. However, I do think that these are a certain motivating factor to attending events. Maybe introduce a halfpoint trohpy or something to substantially reduce the value of "First place" CTF trohpies and/or simply reduce the amount of CTF's each week. As a relatively new player to your shard I can safely say that I don't think trohpies are causing people to play unfairly (not sure what's considered unfair here).

3) Guild affiliation should absolutely be 'considered' in team assortment. I wouldn't play these events if I didn't have my guild there with me. Theres far too many retarded spastics running around doing stupid shit to make it worth while. It's a comfort knowing that you'll at least have a few guildes who know what their doing to help out.
1) - Points make players greedy and multiclient / AFK in events, im fine with them being removed.
3) - I dont like playing vs 6 MyM guidlies every single game. sorry, but thats lame. And how can you be worried in these events? Its quite simple to get out with a flag on any map, teams just need to learn defence and X healing. Where is the fun factor in vent syncing with 6 people and making a event players waited 9 hours for end within 3 minutes?

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Derrick has been against newbie house deeds for so long...I guess they finally broke him down, however his reason for being against it still stands...There are hundreds of spost to place smalls, every god damn person will be running around with a small house deed now until this is reverted.

^copied from what I said in IRC because I'm just about out the door, I'll post more later.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Mephistopheles wrote:* %Chance=(10000 + ((PoisonStrength * 1750) - (Magery * 75))) / 100

DP = 4x1750= 7,000
GM Magery = 100x75= 7,500
Apprentice Magery = 50x75= 3,750

(10,000 + -500) / 100 = 95% @ GM
(10,000 + 3,250) / 100 = 132.5% @ Apprentice Newbie?

If % Chance is = to (10,000 + [5x1750 - 100x75]) / 100
Then:
Level 5 Poison = 112.5% for GM Mages...

Let's try level 5 for Apprentice Mages.

15,000 / 100 = 150%

I might be doing something wrong.
I pointed out that math mistake in another post. I'd like to know how the math was derived.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Faust wrote:
Poison Strength Levels wrote: Lesser = 1
Regular = 2
Greater = 3
Deadly = 4
Lethal = 5
Sorry, the formula was screwed up big time on my part while converting it from randomly named variable values to a named value from the code file...

Code: Select all

int pVal = (PoisonStrength * 1750);
int sVal = (Magery * 75);

if ( ((10000 + ( sVal - pVal )) / 100 ) > random(1,100) )
   // Success;
else
   // Fail;
The pVal should have been subtracted from the sVal instead of vice versa.

Here are some generated values below while using this particular formula...
Skill - Success Chance
Lesser
050.0 = 120.0%
100.0 = 157.0%

Regular
050.0 = 102.5%
100.0 = 140.0%

Greater
050.0 = 85.00%
100.0 = 122.5%

Deadly
050.0 = 67.50%
100.0 = 105.0%

Lethal
050.0 = 50.00%
100.0 = 87.50%
Edit:
Here is another great piece of information that clearly states the change with this spell in July '04...
One of the biggest changes publish 25 (the PvP publish) brought to UO was the change in the cure spell - it is now a lot harder to cure higher level poisons with the cure spell. Since the second level cure spell was now essentially nerfed, the development team decided to increase the effectiveness of the level 4 spell "Arch Cure". However, since Arch Cure casts a lot slower than Cure, some changes had to be made; so instead of casting like a regular 4th circle spell, Arch Cure now casts like a 3rd circle spell instead, meaning its only 0.25 seconds slower than the regular cure, but a lot more effective in terms of curing poisons. Of course, this means you'll have to spend more mana to cure poison (11 versus 6), but overall its a nice change to make higher level poisons more worthwhile. I'll add a table to illustrate the effectiveness of the Cure spells.

Cure Spell - 100 Magery
Lesser - 100%
Regular - 100%
Greater - 76%
Deadly - 43%
Lethal - 10%

Arch Cure Spell - 100 Magery
Lesser - 100%
Regular - 100%
Greater - 100%
Deadly - 100%
Lethal - 87%

Reference: http://uo.stratics.com/content/professi ... ells.shtml
What is interesting about this article is that the values of the Arch Cure spell is that they are EXACTLY the same values that both cure spells produce with the demo formula.
This was the reply from when I pointed out the error.

Now just look at this... we are to believe that in t2a an apprentice mage has a 1 in 2 chance of curing LETHAL POISON for the cost of less than 20 gp and 6 mana??

I'm sorry but this magery cure fix is certainly wrong.

I guess it was called lethal poison because it was 'lethally inconvenient' to have to cast twice.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I made a mistake...

It's not 20 gp, the cost of this 2nd circle spell is 6 gp and 6 mana.

If an apprentice mage is forced to cast twice, to cure the most leathal poison we have in the game, the the number doubles to 12 gp, and 12 mana.

(2nd Circle Spell, Garlic, Ginseng, 6 mana, 50 magery)*2 > lethal poison? No way.

A GM mage curing DP 105% of the time? No way.

Please review the source of this math and consider delaying implementation of this particular change until more work is done.

It just seems that it's too far out there to be correct and needs to be better vetted. Secondly, once it's in place, the effects would be far reaching.

Daltrey

Post by Daltrey »

I can't say that I'm a big fan of doing away with trophies for CTF events, unless the trophy system is just going away entirely. That would take away a lot of the incentive for me to attend those events, and CTF is, as far as I can tell, the only event where an average PVP'er has a chance to get a trophy at all.

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

I guess this is what you get when you leave players at the starting point and go make sandwiches just to get trophies. Blanket punishment? Yes. Fair? Debatable.

Chad-

Post by Chad- »

If half your team is afk your not gonna win a ctf no matter how many good players you got on your team.if they really wanted to win they would participate.Maybe there really afk? Nobody thought of that?

Chad-

Post by Chad- »

Also if there afk for more than 5 minutes just kick them from the event.problem solved..

Return to “Shard News”