Explosion Pots

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Bill Gumshoe

Re: Explosion Pots

Post by Bill Gumshoe »

Ping back then made a big difference, but, i still remember Vae bombing the hell out of anything and everything...

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The fact that the animation does follow the target is an error that can likely be rectified in code.

Tron

Post by Tron »

also, for the record, a macro is entirely not needed to use pots effectively here.

if you check the thread in my sig, you'll see almost every kill has me throwing purples at my target with no macro running like you'd see in a TG members kill shot.

i throw my pots manually and with pin point accuracy.

so the use of macros only makes it easy for the lesser players to do what the better ones can already do.
meaning the option has always been there, but not everyone was doing it because they couldn't.

recently on this server that macro has gone around more and more and everyone is trying to use them.
V SISTERS UNITE! SAVING OUR VAJAYJAYS FOR SOMEONE SPECIAL!

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

My problem with purples, when I try to use them, is I always apparently click too far out of range and then lose the cursor and blow myself up, lol. What is the specific range on these?
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Slaygrim

Post by Slaygrim »

Odin wrote:On OSI everyone used UOassist to throw GE pots, it was just as effective as razor is. The issue of what was intended is a moot one as much of UO pvp was developed by the players rather than envisioned by the developers.

People also forget that GE pots are a very necessary part of pvp. Along with wands they are the only way to combat running. It always seems to me that the people who want these two things changed are the ones who want to be able to easily escape death by running away rather than learn how to stay onscreen and heal.
You assume that a person is supposed to stay and fight? I don't know about you, but I am not always on my PVPer and even when I am I am not always equipped for battle. Why should I be hindered from running away in such a scenario? I am supposed to have extra hurdles to prevent escape in an almost certain death situation?

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Slaygrim wrote:
Odin wrote:On OSI everyone used UOassist to throw GE pots, it was just as effective as razor is. The issue of what was intended is a moot one as much of UO pvp was developed by the players rather than envisioned by the developers.

People also forget that GE pots are a very necessary part of pvp. Along with wands they are the only way to combat running. It always seems to me that the people who want these two things changed are the ones who want to be able to easily escape death by running away rather than learn how to stay onscreen and heal.
You assume that a person is supposed to stay and fight? I don't know about you, but I am not always on my PVPer and even when I am I am not always equipped for battle. Why should I be hindered from running away in such a scenario? I am supposed to have extra hurdles to prevent escape in an almost certain death situation?
Ill just post this before someone else does... Stay in town then :lol: Just kidding.

You dont really have any right to be left alone outside of town. This is a era specific game mechanic. Pks are part of the game and certainly a big part of the era.

If you are venturing into dangerous territories either be equipped or use other measures... (stealth/hiding, precast recall, etc)

If you char can cast mini heal there is a pretty good chance to avoid death and get a recall in, bring 1 or 2 yellow pots and trapped pouches and escape should be no problem.

Hindered from running away? Get rid of para spell as well?

Slaygrim

Post by Slaygrim »

Hoots wrote:Ill just post this before someone else does... Stay in town then :lol: Just kidding.

You dont really have any right to be left alone outside of town. This is a era specific game mechanic. Pks are part of the game and certainly a big part of the era.
Whoa, hold up a second. I never said anything about pks. He was talking about how Explosion Pot Macros were needed to keep people from running. My response was; So what? Not everyone should be required to stay. Fuck, even if I was totally prepared to fight it out, what if the baby woke up in the room next to me and was crying? I'd have to get off the game ASAP. The point to counter his is all I was saying, and that no one should be required to stick around, and that's what he was saying. He said these things are needed to keep people in the fight.
Hoots wrote:If you are venturing into dangerous territories either be equipped or use other measures... (stealth/hiding, precast recall, etc)
Agreed. Those are all tools to GTFO if necessary. I wasn't arguing against that, but merely against his assertion that we need extra stuff just to prevent people from running.
Hoots wrote:If you char can cast mini heal there is a pretty good chance to avoid death and get a recall in, bring 1 or 2 yellow pots and trapped pouches and escape should be no problem.

Hindered from running away? Get rid of para spell as well?
That is not what I was suggesting. Not even close. I played primarily a PK for the last several years. I would never want this.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Ok Slaygrim, sorry, i just totally misinterpreted your post.

My Bad!

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Did some testing on the demo. I created a video, didn't realise that the sound was being recorded through my headset until after however it sort of works out because if you listen closely you can hear me trying to click to target at certain times.

Noted a few things from the demo:
- "3 2 1" counter shows up as a system message in the bottom left, rather than above the character
- Animation seems to be slower, from what I recall on SecondAge. Didn't double check
- It is basically impossible to target just in time before the explosion. Pretty much once it says 2 it's just about impossible to target a character. Before that point you can target the character and it will drop to its feet.
- There appears to be a delay of about 1 second after the explosion before damage is done.
- Can't target health bars? Wouldn't work for bandages or the pots. Could be completely client side anyways and unable to change here.

Video link:
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=502204

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that in the final clip I cancel the pot and then double click it and it still works... just confirming that.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Good work Hemperor.
There appears to be a delay of about 1 second after the explosion before damage is done.
I just checked the script, that's indeed the case.
First animation, one second later the damage is calculated.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Xukluk Tuguznal

Post by Xukluk Tuguznal »

Definitely. Nice job Hemp
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

This is a T2A era guide. There's a few nuggets of information here that should prove useful.

http://web.archive.org/web/200001181608 ... osion.html

Xukluk Tuguznal

Post by Xukluk Tuguznal »

Kraarug wrote:This is a T2A era guide. There's a few nuggets of information here that should prove useful.

http://web.archive.org/web/200001181608 ... osion.html

Nice Find.

3. Lag: Unfortunately, a bad connection will cause the counter to time out before your command goes through. If you're getting a bad bit of lag, DON'T USE THE POTION!. And, even if you get the throw off in time, if the potion doesn't land before the timer ends it still blows up in your pack. So, throw plenty early.

Suggest that it should count down while in flight and it shouldn't be chasing. We should see it land, and it should land on the square where the mobile was targeted.
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

One more thing to note from my video is that when the potion is targeted, it takes about a second to actually go to that location (after the animation).

So one thing I would like to test is with another player on demo running around, when I target him does it appear at the location he originally was at when I targeted, or where he is a second later when it shows up?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Faust

Post by Faust »

I find this all highly interesting and a good find. However, please take into consideration of the older "targeting" system in place back then. Targeting in the old days was very slow to respond precisely compared to the system today. For example, you can physically target before the actual target icon pops up if you click one sec before it pops up and it will still register your target. The targeting system was kind of on a lag and could be manipulated in this manner. If you actually wait for the target to pop up and click you will have to wait at least one second before it initializes.

This can easily be tested on the demo by using any target. For example, try casting a spell and target slightly before the actual target icon pops up and you will see that if you time it precisely you can actually target the spell when it finishes the casting process before the icon actually pops up. If you wait for that icon you'll have to wait that delay inside of the targeting system before it actually officially calls the actual used target function.