An Alignment Chart Thingy For Role-Playing Minded Folks

A place to pull up a stool, drink an ale, and share your sagas with fellow patrons. (Roleplay Forum - In Character Only)
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for in-game RP and storyline related info. For more general discussion, please post in General Discussion or Other, as appropriate.
Xukluk Tuguznal

Re: An Alignment Chart Thingy For Role-Playing Minded Folks

Post by Xukluk Tuguznal »

Ronk wrote:Wow, those pics are priceless. Sadly, I understand them and none of my friends do...

I understood most. Specially the V picture.

as for the op. I don't agree in the variations.

You're either Good, Evil, or in the grey.
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

Xukluk Tuguznal wrote:as for the op. I don't agree in the variations.
I'm afraid I don't follow..

At least change the angle so people can't see where my characters are. Fire/IPBan anyone who plays my characters too plz. KThxBai.

Xukluk Tuguznal

Mephistopheles wrote:
Xukluk Tuguznal wrote:as for the op. I don't agree in the variations.
I'm afraid I don't follow..

Your brackets would keep people in a pocket as to how they would seek to roleplay their character. Not to mention the notion of
Lawful Evil is a oxymoron in itself. Specially when it states that a Lawful Evil player would kill a blue player but would not steal from them.

In essence you're branding your perspective of morality on to a player and anyone who doesn't fit may find themselves oddside out.

All in All, There is only Good, Evil, and shades of grey in regards to roleplay.
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

Xukluk Tuguznal wrote:All in All, There is only Good, Evil, and shades of grey in regards to roleplay.
Not a D&D player, heh?

The Lawful in LG, LN, and LE doesn't always mean the actual law. It means they follow some sort of higher code, learning, or personal morality.

A lawful evil person, such as Vader, doesn't mind killing another person - in fact, he takes joy in it - but does it within the confines of said personal belief. Vader doesn't go around mindlessly killing folks (that's LE (AKA Joker)'s job), he kills whoever gets in his way. He wants to rule the galaxy with his own laws, not spread inane chaos the way the Joker wants.

Hope that helps. ^^
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Xukluk Tuguznal

Pristiq wrote:
Xukluk Tuguznal wrote:All in All, There is only Good, Evil, and shades of grey in regards to roleplay.
Not a D&D player, heh?

The Lawful in LG, LN, and LE doesn't always mean the actual law. It means they follow some sort of higher code, learning, or personal morality.

A lawful evil person, such as Vader, doesn't mind killing another person - in fact, he takes joy in it - but does it within the confines of said personal belief. Vader doesn't go around mindlessly killing folks (that's LE (AKA Joker)'s job), he kills whoever gets in his way. He wants to rule the galaxy with his own laws, not spread inane chaos the way the Joker wants.

Hope that helps. ^^
It definitely puts it in perspective.

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

"Your brackets would keep people in a pocket as to how they would seek to roleplay their character."

I think you're the second person to assume that I'm requiring a mandatory alignment check for every member of UOH or something retarded like that. I don't understand for the life of me how a person can contrive something of that nature from thin air.

At least change the angle so people can't see where my characters are. Fire/IPBan anyone who plays my characters too plz. KThxBai.

Xukluk Tuguznal

Mephistopheles wrote:"Your brackets would keep people in a pocket as to how they would seek to roleplay their character."

I think you're the second person to assume that I'm requiring a mandatory alignment check for every member of UOH or something retarded like that. I don't understand for the life of me how a person can contrive something of that nature from thin air.

I don't think it was pulled from thin air. Giving the nature of the post it is seemingly leading some in that direction. Specially considering the list to some came out the blue. As far as requiring people I never thought that though. I just seen the list as hendering.

Unlimited Bladeworks

Post by Unlimited Bladeworks »

Interesting thanks for sharing.

Mephistopheles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mephistopheles »

Xukluk Tuguznal wrote:Specially considering the list to some came out the blue. I just seen the list as hendering.
It did come out of the blue. There was no "hindering" whatsoever. If you're willing to state you're a Lawful Good character that steals and kills innocent people, then that's you're given right but it is what it is.

Guryon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Guryon »

Not a bad guide but a bit general and a couple of points are way off.

Chaotic Evil don't just kill everyone. They can have companions. They'll just use and abuse them and sacrifice them for personal gain if the opportunity arises.
Chaotic Good wont steal from someone because they are wealthy, they'd steal from them because they are wealthy and corrupt.
Lawful Evil are not generally liars. They would be more likely to steal from your corpse (or your person) and then laugh at you and tell you they did it.

Yeah yeah, I'm an old school RPG nerd. :)

Basically the way the...

Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic
Good/Neutral/Evil...

Model works is like this.

Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic is based on how much order you like in your life.
Lawful people generally have a strict moral code, dont lie, believe laws and rules are there for the good of society and must be obeyed.
Neutral on this scale, believe that rules are needed and have a purpose, but are there to be bent if the need is strong. They aren't out and out liars, but they will tell a porky to save their own skin or that of someone that is special to them. Stealing is generally wrong, but if they see a fat banker have his purse cut they'd snigger and walk on without calling the guard. You get the picture.
Chaotic people think that rules and laws are made to be broken. They have no respect for rules or authority. They would happily steal from someone if they thought that person deserved to be stolen from. They are not necessarily BAD people, they just don't believe in rules. They'll happily lie too, if they think the person they are talking to isn't worthy of their respect.

Good/Neutral/Evil is based on a person's moral code.
Good people believe that everyone has basic rights that should never be compromised. Murder is wrong. Stealing is wrong. Torture is wrong. These are the king of people that are nice to have as next door neighbours.
Neutral in this sense is harder to explain. Not as black as evil, but not as white as good. Torture is bad, but sometimes warranted. Murder is bad and should be supported with the death penalty (state sanctioned murder). Stealing is wrong, unless you are stealing off bad people. You get the idea.
Evil people are basically selfish taken to the EXTREME! Depending on the preceeding alignment type they can be total comfortable with stealing, telling lies, killing, basically doing anything it takes to make a situation better for them.

So blend these together with some short descriptions and examples and you get...

Lawful Good: Inflexibly good. If you have broken the law, no matter what the reason, you must be punished accordingly. There is no grey area for these people. These people will never knowingly go against their own moral code. They will never lie, not even to an enemy to save their own skin. They will make sacrifices to protect the innocent. They will always work within the law. They would fight hard to capture the criminal, then fight equally hard to see he had a fair trial.
Most classic superheroes conform to a lawful good alignment type.

Lawful Neutral: Rules are needed to protect us and keep life fair. An honest merchant is a good example of LN. Someone who works within the rules of society but is not particularly interested with making the world a better place. Someone who just wants to get on with their life without being annoyed by petty thieves and criminals who should all rot in jail. Another good example is a soldier who always does exactly what he is ordered.

Lawful Evil: With organisation I can accomplish much more. These people believe rules and hierarchy are required to get the most in life, but otherwise don't care how they meet their goals. As long as they work within the rules, they will do whatever is needed to get ahead. Their word is a bond, but they don't give it out lightly. They'll kill people that stand in their way and have no problem stealing from their enemies.
Examples would be members organised crime groups (mafia etc), and any comic book villian with a strict code of honour.

True Neutral: Live and let live (die and let die?). These people have no strong pull to any of the extremes. They don't really care if people follow the law or break it, if they feed the poor or feed ON the poor. Doesn't care if the criminal goes unpunished, unless the crime was commited against him. As long as they themselves are left in peace they are ok with the way the rest of the world goes by. A farmer who just wants to be left to work his fields so as to feed his family is an example. He doesn't care who his lord is, he just wants to do a good days work and go home to his family.

Chaotic Good: The laws either fail, or accomplish good inefficiently. This is the vigilante. They want to see good done, no matter what it takes to do it. Robin Hood is a great example. He steals from the corrupt and wealthy and gives to the needy. A lot of the more modern, brooding superheroes are also like this. They want to punish evil, but don't believe that following the rule of the law is the best way to do so. They'll lie, cheat, steal from the bad guys, kill in self defence, but never murder.

Chaotic Neutral: The free spirit. They don't want anyone telling them what to do no matter what the reason. They don't care about good and evil, they just want to get by in life without people telling them what to do and how to do it. And rules? Rules are stupid. Made to be broken in fact. They'll steal if they need to, kill if they need to, and tip a beggar if they feel the need to! Basically they are driven only by what they want, and dont care if other people find that acceptable or not. This guy is really a wild card.

Chaotic Evil: These guys are sociopaths. They feel no need to follow the rules, and no desire to respect their fellow man. They may well work with other people, but only to further their own ends and will happily betray them if it serves their purposes. They will murder, cheat, steal at a whim. The laugh at the thought of honour and honesty and gleefully exploit those who exhibit such traits. They don't necessarily go out on random killing sprees, there is usually a point to what they do, but if you cross one, watch your back... They may even maintain a front as that of a perfectly normal member of society.
Examples. Comic book villians with no code of honour. Serial killers are often attributed this alignment type too.

Did I mention I am an old school RPG nerd...? :)

Edit: Forgot Chaotic Neutral!!
~~
Guryon

Unlimited Bladeworks

Post by Unlimited Bladeworks »

Guryon wrote:

Did I mention I am an old school RPG nerd...? :)
Hello, let me know if you're interested in joining Roleplayers United.

Guild Website: http://roleplayersunited-uo.webs.com/

Guild Forum: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewforum.php?f=57