GM Taming

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

GM Taming

Post by Mikel123 »

I just reached GM Taming and figured I'd share some observations.

I've seen a lot of whining both ways about whether taming skill gain is too easy or too hard (relative to what it used to be).

I'd say it's probably just about right, in terms of the chance to gain per attempt. People may GM the skill faster here than on production shards because of newfound taming techniques and macros. Additionally, since most players only had one account back in the day, even if you KNEW about techniques like the Hell Hound macro, you'd still need another player to sacrifice their gaming time to heal you.

I started my tamer right around when I joined this forum, so two full months ago. I took advantage of a number of taming macro techniques, including the hell hound room in Hythloth. I think two months is a pretty reasonable amount of time to GM the skill.

In any case... as for the former complaints about how easy it is to GM taming and how next week or month, everyone's going to be running around with a tamer, and how the economy will crumble, etc... I'd have to say this is just an unfounded fear.

When I joined this forum, there were 47 GM tamers according to the shard statistics. There's 49 right now, so I should make #50. So at this rate, there will be a whopping 18 new gm tamers each year. I think we will be OK.

EDIT: it also took me about 5 hours of macroing in the hell hound room today to go from 99.5 to GM. Again... making CONSTANT taming attempts is something that really never happened back in the day... so to say it took people 6 months to GM taming back in the day and only takes 2 months now is sort of to be expected.

Faust

Re: GM Taming

Post by Faust »

Taming was a piece of cake for me.

One or two weeks no problem depending on how often your macro gets screwed with from other players.

Naljier

Post by Naljier »

taming is way easier here than on osi99

back then you would get .1 an hour IF you knew what you were doing

here you can get .5 or more an hour

and this is not even considering macroing

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

30 of the last GM tamers are within the last two months easy.

Everyone knows the macro spots now, I made a tamer in a week and a half with zero effort. Majority of the tamers aren't GM either, 90 is sufficient to control dragons, there isn't much reason to GM.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Hemperor wrote:30 of the last GM tamers are within the last two months easy.

Everyone knows the macro spots now, I made a tamer in a week and a half with zero effort. Majority of the tamers aren't GM either, 90 is sufficient to control dragons, there isn't much reason to GM.
There were 47 GMs when I joined. There are now 49, two months later. I don't know why you're arguing that 49 - 47 = 30.

And you and Faust may have GMed the skill in a couple weeks, but not every player is online 24-7 to do that. Not to mention, the fact that everyone knows the macro spots works AGAINST developing new tamers. I had my hell hound macro disrupted by at least a dozen different characters. I don't think I ever macroed for more than 45 minutes without being disrupted, and the average is about 20-30 minutes. It's absolutely impossible to GM taming in a week and a half, or even two weeks, unless you happen to be buddies with the dozen guys who recall into the HH room and move boxes and Ebolt the tamer and healers every 20 minutes.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Only an idiot macros in HH room.

Faust doesn't have a tamer.

There must be a hundred spots you can macro taming in (from 0 to GM), people just don't use their heads.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Hemperor wrote:Only an idiot macros in HH room.

Faust doesn't have a tamer.
Faust wrote: Taming was a piece of cake for me.
I guess I'm an idiot, but I tried a bunch of other spots and found it to be the best for gains.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I didn't use any macros other than the one to keep trying to tame something. I would have HH follow me and get them stuck in a spot so i could attempt to tame. I finished my tamer in exactly 1 week with no macros or help and i was pked 5 times a day by r- . I was also using a laptop and couldn't defend myself and could barely get a recall off due to being a noob.

I stopped actively taming as soon as i could tame dragons and wyrms. I then macroed lore and finished it i think in 1 day or a lil over. I am a lil over 50 days old on this server and have a castle and over a mil gold.

Everything can be done in a short amount of time...in spite of the pks. They are too lazy to camp places and seem to just run off a schedule or list of runes i guess. So ifyou die...just go back and they are gone.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Wow, either you play a ton or I should have made a tamer instead of a bard.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Yeah, I find that hard to believe. It took me 5 hours to get from 99.5 to 100.0, and it's not like I was getting unlucky with gains. It really is that slow.

Krats

Post by Krats »

Hemperor wrote: Everyone knows the macro spots now, I made a tamer in a week and a half with zero effort. Majority of the tamers aren't GM either, 90 is sufficient to control dragons, there isn't much reason to GM.
I'm not everyone, could someone share these spots/macros with me? ^_^
When you play with fire, there is a 50/50 chance something will go wrong, and nine times out of ten it does.
Teph wrote:chum stole a castle, a f**in castle.
Derrick wrote:I hate to see this go unanswered, so I can at least say that I read this, and have no idea myself.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

in Hythloth, there is a room that spawns 6-8 hell hounds at once.

And for what it's worth, I'd suggest getting at least to 97 or 98 taming. Otherwise, you're going to have to constantly feed your pets.